Adobo seasoning is another great hand mixed spice blend that is used in the Mexican kitchen. This latin seasoning can be used dry and wet.
This hand mixed adobo spice mix is also done in no time. No overly hot or spice so you can add it to a lot of your favorite recipes. So ready to learn how you to make adobo seasoning at home? Lets get started!
In our kitchen essentials we have shared a lot of our favorite seasoning mixes and we keep on adding new spice blends to it. Adobo seasoning is another amazing spice blend.
Adobo seasoning origin
Nowhere days we do not need anything special to preserve our meat when we have a fridge or freezer. But way back when no fridge was available meat and fish was preserve using spices or marinades.
Adobo or adobar means to marinate or seasoning so it is literally a reference of what is was used for. This comes from Spanish cuisine and taken along to Latin America.
When temperatures were warm it was not uncommon to make a marinade or wet seasoning. This type of marinading usually includes some acidity like vinegar and or lemon juice.
These days it is only used for flavoring of meat, pork, chicken or fish.
Adobo seasoning ingredients
To make this hand mixed adobo seasoning recipe you need the following ingredients:
- Paprika powder
- Mexican oregano
- Mustard powder
- Chipotle powder
- Pasilla powder
How to make adobo seasoning
To make this adobo dry spice blend is really easy. Measure all the spices as described in the recipe below and put them in a small mixing bowl or mortar.
Now take a spoon and stir your adobo spice mix thoroughly for at least 1 minute. As you are using some spicy spices you want to get an even distribution.
By mixing them for this amount of time you can be certain you have the perfect hand mixed adobo dry mix.
Transfer the spice blend into a glass jar and store in a kitchen cabinet or pantry away from sunlight or heat. This way the seasoning will last longer.
How do to use adobo seasoning
You can use adobo spice blend in two ways:
- Dry seasoning – use dry seasoning to season your meat, pork, chicken, fish or vegetables like beans. Add about 2 tablespoons of adobo seasoning and stir it through to cover the meat or other main ingredients. Let it marinate in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes before you start cooking
- Wet seasoning – use this adobo mix in a wet seasoning or a marinade. To make an authentic adobo marinade you need to combine the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup adobo seasoning
- 1/4 cup or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup of fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- pinch of brown sugar (when taste is bitter)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
This easy seasoning is also great to use on your cooked vegetables or to stir through your chili recipe.
Why Adobo seasoning is salt free
A lot of Mexican seasonings contain salt which is mainly because it is very cheap and is a flavor that can easily dominate your taste buds.
This is a shame because when you try this seasoning you will experience that you do not need any salt to get a tasty spice blend.
Due to using chipotle powder which is medium to high heat and a smokey taste. The pasilla powder that is pungent and tangy in taste.
If you like this adobo seasoning you will love these seasonings as well:
- Chili powder – a great ingredient for a lot of your other spice mixes
- Taco seasoning – great to flavor your taco recipes but vegetables as well
- Fajitas seasoning – a nice and spicy fajita spice blend for all your fajitas recipes
- Burrito seasoning – special seasoning to flavor your burrito recipes
- Enchilada seasoning – For all your enchilada recipes even your vegan enchilada recipes
- Mexican seasoning – Want to flavor you Mexican recipes take this go too recipe. You can’t go wrong with this seasoning
- Barbecue rub – amazing tasting barbecue rub
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and have fun making this adobo seasoning mix recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
Another great hand mixed spice blend. We are making adobo seasoning that you can use to flavor you beef, chicken or fish recipes. Try it you will love it!
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp onion
- ½ tbsp garlic
- ½ tbsp Mexican oregano
- ½ tbsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp pasilla powder
- Measure all the ingredients as described in the ingredients
- Put in a mixing bowl or mortar and stir for at least 1 minute to evenly distribute all ingredients through the Adobo seasoning
Calories: 19; Fat: 1g; Carbs: 2.9g; Protein: 1g;