Easy barbecue sauce recipe because why would you buy this sauce when you can make it yourself. Showing you that this sauce is super easy. Ready to learn how you can make this barbecue sauce recipe? Lets get started!
When you hear barbecue sauce you might think of Summer but this recipe goes can be used in any season. This sauce might be the best barbecue sauce recipe for ribs but you can eat with:
- Tortilla burger – put some on your burger instead of salsa
- Quesadillas – great for dipping your quesadillas in the sauce
- Breakfast burrito – even your breakfast burrito with egg tastes better with this barbecue sauce
- Ribs – either on the barbecue or in a slow cooker
Because you use a bit of brown sugar barbecue sauce wil caramelize when it reaches about 320℉/160℃. When you use this barbecue sauce make sure you put your meat on direct fire from your barbecue or under the broiler.
When you use barbecue sauce with a barbecue do not rub the sauce directly on the meat. Make sure the meat is done and add the sauce the last 10 minutes before you take the meat of the bbq. If you put it on to early the sauce can be to thick and will prevent the meat from getting done.
When you want to use the barbecue sauce take out the amount of sauce you need. Do not dip a brush in the jar to put it on the meat if you want to keep your sauce fresh.
Easy barbecue sauce ingredients
This barbecue sauce recipe required a number of ingredients. Make sure you have the following available:
- Olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper
- Chili powder hot
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Sofrito tomato sauce
- Apple vinegar
How to make barbecue sauce
To make this barbecue sauce recipe start of by finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet and add the chopped onion and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and continuously stir the onion and garlic through the pan. This to prevent them from going brown.
Add the soy sauce and apple vinegar and rapidly stir it through the onion mix. Immediately add the sofrito tomato sauce and stir. Now it is time to add the chili powder, syrup, Worcestershire sauce.
Finally add the brown sugar and mustard. Stir to dissolve. Let is simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes while you stir occasionally.
I do not use any water in this recipe because I want to be able to store it. It is ok if the sauce is a little thick. Take the pan of the heat and let the sauce cool. Put in a glas jar for storage.
Store barbecue sauce
When you let the barbecue sauce cool you can store it:
- In a glas jar or container and keep it in a dark cool place for a couple of months
- Store in the fridge in a glas jar as well
- You could freeze this sauce. Even though you do not use water when you thaw it will be more watery than when you make it fresh. For this sauce this is my least favorite option
I used sofrito tomato sauce in this recipe. A lot of barbecue sauces require ketchup. You can use ketchup in this sauce as well but be aware that ketchup contains a lot of sugar. In 100 grams of ketchup you find 22 grams of sugar where as sofrito has only 6 grams of sugar in 100 grams.
This recipe contains brown sugar so it can caramelize when you put it under the grill.
Have fun with this easy barbecue sauce recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
This barbecue sauce recipe is tried and tested. Why buy it in the store when you can make this recipe yourself and perfect it to your taste.
- ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder hot
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 300 ml sofrito
- ¾ tablespoon mustard
- ½ tablespoon apple vinegar
- Finely chop the onion and garlic
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and continuously stir the onion and garlic through the pan
- Add the soy sauce and apple vinegar and rapidly stir it through the onion mix
- Immediately add the sofrito tomato sauce and stir
- Now it is time to add the chili powder, syrup, Worcestershire sauce
- Finally add the brown sugar and mustard. Stir to dissolve. Let is simmer on low heat for 10 minutes while you stir occasionally
- Take of the heat and let it cool before storing in a glass jar
Calories: 223; Fat: 15.6g; Carbs: 11g; Protein: 10.1g