BBQ chicken in the oven, grilled to perfection with homemade barbecue sauce. Gives you that charred taste but without all the hassle of firing up a barbecue. If you love barbecue but can do without all the work this recipe is for you. Want to learn how you can make bbq chicken in the oven? Lets get started!
Cooking BBQ chicken in the oven is ideal because now you do not need a hot day to fire up the grill but you can eat barbecue any time you like.
Lets be honest grilling on the barbecue can be really time consuming. Just getting the coals at the right temperature can take ages.
You have to be a grill master to get the perfect piece of chicken that is not burned or dry continuously turning the chicken.
Off course you can use an electric grill or a gas barbecue but that is where I draw the line and go into my kitchen to cook in my oven.
What is so nice thing about oven grilling is it is basically hands free cooking. You need a baking tray, a fork to turn your chicken twice and a brush to apply the sauce.
There are always way better things to do than flipping your chicken on the grill don’t you think.
BBQ chicken ingredients
To make BBQ chicken in the oven you need the following ingredients from the store:
- Chicken thighs
- BBQ rub
- Homemade barbecue saus
- Lemon juice
- Cooking spray
How to make BBQ chicken in the oven
Because you want proper seasoned chicken you first have to bake the chicken with the barbecue rub before applying the barbecue sauce.
Key steps in this process is:
- Preheat the oven at 400℉/200℃ . Make sure your oven is nice and hot so your chicken will bake. Put the baking tray when you heat the oven. You get a head start when baking
- Put baking paper on your baking tray as there will be oil, seasoning and sauce. That way you will keep a clean baking tray
- Season your chicken thighs with BBQ rub and put them on the baking tray. Cook for 20 minutes before you start adding the sauce
- Take out of the oven and increase the heat to 450℉/220℃. To get a crispy chicken. Brush your chicken thighs with BBQ sauce and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Put a small amount of sauce in a bowl and brush your thighs on both sides. If you have any lef over sauce you can preserve it in the fridge.
- Take out the baking tray and brush more barbecue sauce on both sides of the chicken thighs. Return to the oven for 8 minutes and you are ready to serve your sticky BBQ chicken
You can serve your BBQ chicken with:
- Mexican rice – chicken and rice is a great combination
- Healthy salad – why not compliment your sticky chicken with a salad. You can not go wrong
- Mexican fries – chicken and crunchy fries. Yum!
- Baked potatoes – just like Mexican fries this BBQ chicken is a great combination with baked potatoes
Have fun with this BBQ chicken in the oven recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
BBQ chicken in the oven, grilled to perfection with homemade barbecue sauce with that authentic grill taste but in a fraction of the time.
- 4 big chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp BBQ rub
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400℉/200℃
- Clean the chicken thighs, spray with cooking spray, add some lemon juice and rub with bbq dry rub
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes
- Take out of the oven. Increase the heat to 450℉/220℃ and brush the chicken thighs on both sides with barbecue sauce
- Bake for another 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and brush the chicken on both sides again
- Bake for 8 more minutes. Take out the oven
- Ready to serve
Calories: 612; Fat: 30.5g; Carbs: 45g; Protein: 35g;