After we made that lovely empanada dough we off course have to make a great empanada recipe with it.
So we are making beef empanadas that you can make in 5 minutes. Honest, the filling of these empanadas is done in 5 minutes. Get your ingredients together and learn how to make the best beef empanadas? Let’s get started!
Empanadas also know as hand pies or turnovers are such an easy recipe. You can literally make a million variations and surprise your guest with a new filling every time.
It is such a versatile product. You can:
- Oven bake the empanadas
- Deep fry them
- Steam the empanada
With the filling, the options are just as endless. You can make them with beef, pork, fish and vegetables. If you make a vegan dough you can make this recipe completely vegan.
Take any type of fruit and you can use it in your hand pies from apples to blueberries or from peaches to pineapple.
Made some homemade jam? You can use it as a filling. Made some homemade Nutella hazelnut butter another great idea for an empanada filling.
So let’s start at the beginning and make the tasty beef filling.
Beef empanada ingredients
To make this recipe you need a small list of ingredients:
- Empanada dough
- Ground beef
- Bell pepper
- Mexican seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make beef empanadas
First, you have to make the dough and let it refrigerate. Then for the filling start with heating a skillet on medium heat.
Put the ground beef in the skillet and let it brown. Finely chop the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Once the meat is browned add to the skillet.
Move it around in the pan so they will get soft and translucent. Then add the 2 tablespoons of Mexican seasoning and the oregano.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir through the filling and add 1/3 cup of water. Simmer for 1 minute then let the filling cool.
Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Now it is time to assemble the empanadas. I use an empanada shape that allows you to put some filling in the middle.
Turn over the dough and press it close. Off course you can do this by hand. Put approximately 2 tablespoons of filling on the dough.
Do not put too much filling on the dough because the empanada will not be able to close properly.
Close the empanada and put it on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Whisk the egg and brush the top with it to give them a nice color while baking.
Put the tray in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Your beef empanadas are ready to serve.
Ways to close your empanada
There are a number of ways to close your empanadas:
- Water – use water and brush the side of the dough before pressing it together
- Egg whites – egg whites can also be used in a similar fashion to glue the empanada shut
- Pastry pie – when using a pastry pie shape it with press the ends real tight and close the edges of the dough
- Fork – You can use a fork and press the edges of the dough to seal it together
- Fold the edges – Lastly, you can fold the edges and turn the edge over by hand to close it
See how to make easy empanada dough
If you want to make this recipe and are wondering how to make empanada dough the easy way at home? Take a look at the instruction video.
It gives you step by step instructions so you can easily follow along and make this recipe. It is really super easy to make especially with a kitchen machine.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as I do so have fun making this beef empanada recipe yourself!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a tasty beef empanada recipe? Try these easy empanadas that you can make with homemade empanada dough, beef, veggies and more.
- 250 gram empanada dough
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon Mexican seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 egg to brush the empanadas
- ⅓ cup water
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and brown the ground beef
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Once the meat is browned add it to the skillet as well
- Move the ingredients around in the pan so they will go soft and translucent. Then add 2 tablespoons of Mexican seasoning and the oregano
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (option). Stir through the filling and add 1/3 cup of water. Simmer for 1 minute then let the filling cool
- Pre heat the oven to 400℉/200℃. Assemble the empanadas. Put some filling in the middle of an empanada disc. Turn over the dough and press it close with a fork
- Put on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Whisk the egg and brush the top of the empanadas
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Ready to serve
Take half of the dough as made in the empanada dough recipe I use a empanada shape that allows you to put some filling in the middle Do not put too much filling on the dough because the empanada will not be able to close properly
Calories: 242; Fat: 8.5g; Carbs: 25g; Protein: 15g;