Chicken carnitas prepared in the Crockpot Express is on the menu today and it will definitely make you happy. The chicken is tender and crispy. Want to learn how you can make these chicken carnitas? Lets get started!
After a slow cooked recipe barbecue ribs in the Crockpot Express it is now time for a pressure cooked chicken recipe. It only takes you half an hour in the Crockpot.
Chicken is an easy recipe to shred even if you do not have a Crockpot but chicken is more tender when cooked in the Crockpot Express than boiled.
This recipe is made with chicken breast but you can also substitute with chicken thighs. A chicken breast is a more dry then a thigh but both yields tender meat from the Crockpot.
Using the right liquids adds to the tenderness of the chicken. In this recipe it is lime, orange juice and beer.
Beer can be used as a tenderizer for meats as it contains enzymes that breaks down tough fibers in your meat. Juice also has a tenderizing effect on chicken and really penetrates the meat.
Chicken carnitas ingredients
To maken Crockpot chicken carnitas you need to get the following ingredients:
How to maken chicken carnitas
Finely chop the onion and garlic. Now all you need to do is put the chicken breast in the Crockpot Express. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the chicken breast. Then add the onion and garlic on top of the chicken.
Now it is time for all the liquids so the lime juice, orange juice and the beer. Top with the tomato salsa and you are done.
All you need to do is close the lid and put the Crockpot Express on Meat/Stew and high pressure. Turn the Crockpot to 30 minutes and it will let you know once the Crockpot is done.
Turn your oven to broil and shred the chicken in the mean while. Put some parchment paper on a baking tray and divide your shredded chicken on the baking tray.
Take 4 to 5 tablespoons of liquid from the Crockpot and put it on the chicken before you put the baking tray under the broiler. Leave in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is golden and crispy.
Make chicken carnitas in a traditional Crockpot slow cooker
If you do not have a Crockpot Express but only a traditional Crockpot slow cooker then you can still make these delicious chicken carnitas.
Follow the same process and how to prepare the chicken, spices and liquids. For the traditional Crockpot set it to 3 hours on High or 6 hours on Low.
When the cooking time is done shred the chicken and then follow the instruction to broil the carnitas and make them crispy and golden.
Eat chicken carnitas with
You can eat chicken carnitas perfectly on it own with potatoes or rice and vegetables. You can also:
- Crispy crunchy corn tacos – Eat with crunchy corn tacos
- Soft fajitas tortillas – you can eat them with soft fajitas tortillas take some tomato salsa and carnitas and you have a great meal.
- Scallion pancakes – these are a little flaky and with lots of flavor with the sesame oil and scallion. A great combination
- Roasted tomato salsa – put some of this salsa on your carnitas
- Garlic and herbs chickpea tortilla – another great combination to eat your chicken carnitas with
Have fun with this delicious chicken carnitas recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
Crockpot chicken carnitas in the pressure cooker. Are done in no time making soft tender meat. The Crockpot express has a slow and pressure cooker option.
- 200 gram chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp lime
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 can beer (25 cl)
- ⅓ cup salsa
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Put the chicken breast in the Crockpot Express. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the chicken breast. Then add the onion and garlic on top of the chicken
- Add the lime juice, orange juice and the beer. Top with the tomato salsa
- Close the lid and put the Crockpot Express on Meat/Stew and high pressure. Turn the Crockpot to 30 minutes
- When done turn the oven to broil. Shred the chicken in the mean while. Put parchment paper on a baking tray and divide the shredded chicken on the baking tray.
- Take 4 to 5 tablespoons of liquid from the Crockpot and put it on the chicken. Before you put the baking tray under the broiler. Leave in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is golden and crispy
Calories: 258; Fat: 2.7g; Carbs; 21.6g; Protein: 23.8g;