This chicken tinga recipe is the best because it such an easy recipe and that is what we love.
Easy recipes with a limited amount of utensils. This is just that recipe. So are you ready to learn how you can make this chicken tinga recipe? Let’s get started!
Chicken tinga is also known as tinga de pollo is a Mexican dish. Chicken tinga is made with shredded chicken and a spicy red sauce.
The main ingredient for the tinga sauce is chipotle with adobo sauce. Chipotle is a smoke-dried jalapeño that has a very strong and spicy flavor.
The adobo sauce initially was used as a way to preserve raw food like meats and vegetables. They used it when refrigerators were not readily available.
Over time this was not necessary anymore but as an added bonus the adobo sauce gives ingredients a nice flavor.
Then the adobo sauce primary use became to flavor recipes like this chicken tinga recipe. The adobo sauce is made with ingredients like:
- Soy sauce
I used chipotle in adobo from La Costeña. I love spicy food and can handle quite some heat but chipotle is something different.
The heat comes as an afterthought. So if you are not the one for spicy food than just take one small chipotle.
If you can handle some heat take two chipotles like in this recipe. Still, I would advise to be careful and start with one. You can always add more if you want.
Chicken tinga ingredients
To make this chicken tinga recipe you need a number of ingredients. Make sure you have the following items on your shopping list:
- Small tortillas
- Shredded chicken breast or shredded from a rotisserie chicken
- Chipotle with adobo sauce
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Taco seasoning
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock
How to make chicken tinga
To make chicken tinga you have to start with shredded chicken. You can either make it from scratch with chicken breast fillet or you can buy a rotisserie chicken.
When you make it from scratch take a pan with water and add the chicken stock cube. Bring to the boil and add the no skin chicken breast filet to the pan.
Let the chicken simmer on medium for 15 minutes. Then shred the chicken with two forks and set aside. If you haven’t shredded a chicken filet before just watch the video below showing you how it is done.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft and tender. Stir in the chipotles, taco seasoning before adding the tomatoes and chicken stock.
Let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Take the sauce off the stove and put it in a blender. Blend the sauce for less than a minute in your blender.
Put the sauce back into the skillet and add the shredded chicken to the sauce. Stir properly to cover the chicken with the sauce. Cook for 10 more minutes.
Char your tortilla is a warm pan for half a minute per side and let them steam under a clean kitchen towel before preparing your tinga tacos.
Take a taco and put chicken tinga on it and decorate with some diced red onion, parsley.
Side dishes to eat with chicken tinga
This chicken tinga recipe can be eaten solo but if you add some of these dishes it will become even better. Try it with:
- Tortilla – wrap the chicken tinga in soft flour tortillas and you are in for a treat
- Avocado or guacamole – when you eat chicken tinga taco put some avocado or guacamole on the crunchy taco shell or soft tortilla. Then put the chicken tinga on top
- Beans – Serve some refried beans as a side dish
- Cheese – sprinkle some soft grated cheese on the chicken tinga before serving
- Spicy roasted tomato salsa – everything tastes even better with this spicy roasted tomato salsa
- Sour cream – another great addition to your chicken tinga tacos
- Mexican rice – this Tex Mex rice taste perfectly with chicken tinga
How to eat chicken tinga
You can eat your chicken tinga in various ways. Here some examples:
- Taco – Eat it as a chicken tinga taco either crunchy taco shell but also as soft tacos.
- Tostada – Pan-fry a small tortilla in the pan or oven and top it with one or more dishes as mentioned above before adding some ting chicken.
- Arepas – shredded chicken tinga and arepas are a great combination.
See how you can shred a chicken breast
Want to see how you can shred a chicken breast to use it in your chicken tinga recipe? Watch the instruction video below on how to make perfect pulled chicken fajitas:
Have fun with this chicken tinga recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
This chicken tinga recipe is the best because it's easy to make with shredded chicken and chipotle creamy sauce. You can eat it with rice, a taco or tostada
- 4-6 small tortillas
- 1 shredded chicken filet 250 gram
- 2 chipotle with adobo sauce
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Taco seasoning
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Shred your chicken either cooking it in a pan with chicken stock for 15 minutes and then shred the chicken
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft and tender.
- Stir in the chipotles, taco seasoning before adding the tomatoes and chicken stock. Let is simmer for about 10 minutes
- Blend the sauce for less than a minute in your blender
- Put the sauce back into the skillet and add the chicken to sauce. Stir properly to cover the chicken with the sauce. Cook for 10 more minutes
- Char your tortilla is a warm pan for half a minute and let them steam before preparing your tinga tacos
- Start then chicken tinga and decorate with some diced red onion, parsley
You can use rotisserie chicken and shredd it. It will reduce the cooking time by 15 minutes.
Calories: 579; Fat: 26.4g; Carbs: 36.4g; Protein: 49.9g