These Spanish cod fritters are a great tapas recipe. It is easy to make and they taste even better!
This is the fast cod fritters version and these are oven-baked and perfect with some aioli or roasted tomato salsa. Ready to learn how you can make these cod fritters? Let’s get started!
Spanish style fritters are called buñuelos de bacalao and originally made with dried salted cod. You can find a lot of dried fish recipes in warm countries.
The main reason is to preserve the fish this way when no fridge is around. If you would use dried cod in this recipe you have to soak the fish in large quantities of water.
To release the salt from the fish, the water has to be refreshed regularly. But as you can imagine this is a tedious and slow process.
That is why I want to show you the fast version of this fish tapas.
Cod fritters ingredients
For this tapas recipe, you need quite a number of ingredients. Make your grocery shopping list and put the following ingredients on it:
- Cod filets
- Mashed potatoes
- Self-raising flour
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make cod fritters
To make this recipe start with bringing a pan of water with water to the boil. Add the cod and let it boil for 20 minutes.
In the meanwhile peel the potatoes and wash them in cold water. Put the potatoes in a pot and boil for 12-15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and add 1 cup of milk so you can turn them into a mash. You can turn down the heat to low while you puree the potatoes.
Take a bowl and put the fish in the bowl so you can take the fish apart. Finely chop the scallion, garlic, and parsley.
Add all these ingredients to the mashed potatoes and add the flour, pepper, and a beaten egg. Mix all the ingredients with a fork until everything is well mixed.
Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let it cool in the fridge for about 1 hour (longer if you have time) so that the flavors can mix well.
In the meanwhile cover a baking sheet with baking paper. Now make balls the size of a golf ball and press slightly flat with a spoon.
Then place the fritters on the baking sheet and finish them by brushing with a little bit of oil or cooking spray.
Preheat the oven to 375℉/180℃ and bake the Spanish salt cod fritters for 17-20 minutes or until light brown.
Can you make salt cod fritters ahead?
If you have a party you can definitely make this tapas recipe ahead of time. Make the potato mixture one day in advance.
Bake on the day of the party so you have freshly baked fish tapas.
How to store buñuelos de bacalao
When you make this recipe you have a number of ways to store them:
- Fridge – if you plan on using these within a day you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container and reheat right before serving
- Freezer – if you want to store them for more than 2 days put them in the freezer. Again take an airtight container. You can store them for at least 2 to 3 months.
Reheat by first thawing the fritters and then warm them in a preheating oven at 375℉/180℃ for 5-6 minutes.
Other tapas recipes
If you love tapas as much as I do you definitely came to the right place. Take a look at the recipe:
- Authentic Spanish tortilla
- Tortillitas de camarones
- Tapas pinchos
- Patatas bravas
- Spanish ham croquettes
- Albondigas Spanish meatballs
I hope you love this cod fritter recipe as much as I do!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a great tapas recipe? Try this fast version of the Spanish cod fritters recipe. This recipe is super easy and tasty.
- 300-gram cod
- 300-gram mashed potatoes
- 1 scallion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 50-gram self-raising flour
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water and add the cod. Let it boil for 20 minutes
- Peel the potatoes and wash with cold water. Boil for 12-15 minutes
- Drain the potatoes and add 1 cup of milk so you can turn them into mashed potato
- Put the fish in the bowl and take it apart
- Finely chop the scallion, garlic, and parsley. Add the ingredients to the mashed potatoes and add the flour, pepper, and beaten egg. Mix all the ingredients with a fork until everything is well mixed
- Cover bowl with a plastic wrap and let it cool in the fridge for about 1 hour (longer if you have time)
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Make golf sized balls with a spoon with the cod mash and press slightly flat with a spoon
- Place the fritters on the baking sheet and brush with the olive oil or with cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375℉/180℃ and bake the Spanish salt cod fritters for 15-20 minutes or until light brown
- Serve immediately
Calories: 68; Fat: 1.8g; Carbs: 6.5g; Protein: 6.2g;