This croque madame tastes amazing. This dish is great for lunch and can easily pass as a full dinner. So try it you will love it!
Because this grilled sandwich is the best. It is even better than a croque monsieur and you have it ready in less than 20 minutes. Ready to learn how to make croque madame? Let’s get started!
This grilled croque madame is a real classic recipe. First seen in the French bars and cafés where this dish could be ordered for lunch or as an easy supper.
It is still a popular lunch recipe but not only in French bars but everywhere around the world. You can choose to bake this sandwich in a skillet or put it underneath the grill.
If you bake it in a skillet put putter on the outer slices of the sandwich so you can bake them golden brown.
The reason why this recipe is called a croque madame as a fried egg closely resembles a women’s hat.
Croque madame ingredients
To make this easy grilled sandwich recipe be certain to have the following ingredients available:
- Wheat bread
- Bechamel sauce
- Grated cheese like Mozzarella or Gruyere
How to make a croque madame
To make a croque madame preheat your broiler or oven grill. Take four slices of bread and put them on a baking tray.
Grill one side of the slices for 5 minutes until golden brown. By grilling just one side you will get both crunch and soft when you take a bite.
When the bread is in the oven prepare the béchamel sauce. Then take the baking tray out of the oven and let the bread slightly cool.
Take about a spoon full of mustard and spread it on the toasted side of the 4 slices. Then take the béchamel sauce and divide it top of the mustard.
Now it is time to put the slices of ham on top of the béchamel and finally the grated cheese. Return the baking tray into the oven underneath the broiler.
Grill the four slices for about 5 minutes underneath the grill or until the cheese has melted. While the cheese is melting bake two eggs in a pan.
Take the baking tray out of the oven, stack two slices of bread on top of each other and complete with a baked egg.
Your Croque Madame is ready to serve.
Croque madame options
You make this sandwich recipe can be made with various ingredient options:
- Tomato – cut a tomato in thin slices and add it between the two toasted slices of bread
- Beaten egg – dip the toasted bread in beaten egg before you put the bread in the skillet. When you put the bread in egg always bake in a skillet
- Bechamel – this recipe is made with bechamel but you can decide to leave the sauce out and add extra grated cheese
- Pineapple – you can add thin slices of pineapple
- Chicken – you can substitute the ham for grilled chicken
- Salmon – substitute the ham with smoked salmon
Other sandwich recipes
If you love sandwich recipes you have to take a look at these recipes as well:
- Turkish bread sandwich – this is a vegan dish with a bite, homemade hummus, sun-dried tomatoes and more
- Croque monsieur – grilled bread with bechamel, ham, and cheese
- Grilled cheese sandwich – grilled bread with cheese and bacon
- Tortilla club sandwich – stacked tortillas with turkey, lettuce, eggs, and tomato
Have fun making this easy croque madame recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
How to make the best croque madame? This recipe shows how you can make this tasty delicious recipe in less than 15 minutes.
- 4 slices rustic wheat bread
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons Bechamel sauce
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese or Emmentaler cheese
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the broiler in the oven
- Put 4 slices of wheat bread on a baking sheet and underneath the grill for 5 minutes on one side until golden brown
- Prepare the bechamel sauce
- Take the baking tray out of the oven and let it cool slightly
- Spread a tablespoon of mustard on the bread. Divide the bechamel on top of the mustard. Then put a slice of cooked ham on the bechamel sauce
- Sprinkle the grated on the bechamel. Return the baking tray underneath the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and bubbling
- Take a skillet and melt the butter. Bake two eggs
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven, stack two slices on top of each other and finish with an egg
- Ready to serve
Calories: 662; Fat: 40g; Carbs: 32g; Protein: 41.5g;