Croque Monsieur is the ultimate brunch classic made with béchamel sauce. You may think this is just a ham and cheese sandwich but this dish is so much more.
Try it and you will know what I mean. Because it is a lovely crunchy sandwich that is 100 times more tasty than any grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Ready to learn how to make the best Croque Monsieur recipe? Let’s get started!
You may wonder what is a Croque Monsieur? The answer is, the French version of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich but a more fancy version.
Boiled ham, bechamel sauce and lots of cheese. This sandwich was first made in Paris using toasted bread as the base.
Croque Monsieur is French for “mister crunch” because you make this recipe with toasted bread. Bake your croque in the oven or fry in the pan.
I like to bake this sandwich in the oven because it will grill the béchamel sauce and the cheese.
Besides France there are a lot of countries that have their own version of the croque monsieur:
- Tosti – the Dutch version with toasted bread, ham, and cheese
- Toastie – in the United Kingdom this sandwich is called toastie
- Toast – Greece or Italian version of the croque
- Spanish toastie – a toastie with Sobrassada meat instead of ham
- Monte Cristo – the American version of a toastie. A grilled sandwich made with turkey, ham, and cheese. Dip in some jam
Croque Monsieur ingredients
For this grilled cheese sandwich you need just a limited number of ingredients. Put the following on your list:
- Rustic white bread
- Gruyere cheese
- Bechamel sauce
How to make Croque Monsieur
To make this croque monsieur recipe start with four slices of bread. Preheat your broiler and put the slices of bread on a baking tray.
Grill the slices of bread under the grill for 5 minutes on one side. In the meanwhile make the béchamel sauce.
Take the baking tray out of the oven and spread mustard on all 4 slices of bread. Divide the béchamel sauce on the toasted side of all the four slices of bread.
Then put a slice of gammon on top of the béchamel and grated cheese on all 4 slices. Now put the baking tray back in the oven again under the broiler.
Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling which takes about 5 minutes. Take the baking sheet out of the oven and stack two slices on top of each other.
Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley or chives on top and you are ready to serve you Croque Monsieur.
Other sandwich recipes
If you like this sandwich recipe you will love these recipes as well:
- Turkey club sandwich – made with tortillas, tomato, egg and turn it into a club sandwich
- Grilled cheese bacon sandwich – made with no-knead bread, the best bacon and melted cheese
- Turkish bread sandwich – this is a vegan dish with a bite, homemade hummus, sun-dried tomatoes and more
Have fun making this croque monsieur recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Croque Monsieur is the ultimate brunch classic made with béchamel sauce. Made with four slices of bread grilled in the oven. Try it you will love it!
- 4 slices rustic white bread
- 4 slices gammon
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 6 tablespoons Bechamel sauce
- Put 4 slices of bread on a baking tray and grill the slices of bread under the grill for 5 minutes on one side
- Make the bechamel sauce
- Take the tray out of the oven and spread mustard on all 4 slices. Divide the bechamel on the toasted side of the bread. Put a slice of ham on top of the bechamel
- Grate cheese on the slices of bread. Put the baking tray back in the oven again under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbling takes about 5 minutes
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and stack two slices on top of each other
- Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley or chives on top and you are ready to serve
Calories: 581; Fat: 30.5g; Carbs: 29g; Protein: 47g;