Flour, salt and water are the basic ingredients of flour tortillas. Add some yeast and you have a bread dough. Jim Lahey made it famous as the easiest no-knead bread. This dough can be used in a lot of different recipes. We are not making a no-knead bread no today we are using it to make a delicious 5-ingredients tapenade tortilla bread. Want to know how this delicious 5-ingredients tapenade tortilla bread it is made? Lets get started.
The tortilla bread we are making looks a lot like cinnamon rolls as we create a gigant tortilla, roll it up and then cut it into small pieces. These are baked into a baking tin turning into delicious bread rolls. In the Netherlands we call it break bread but I found out that this is not a common term to use so that is why I am calling it tortilla bread as it has the same ingredients as tortilla and yeast is added. If you want to use a different type of bread dough you are welcome to use it.
I use the Jim Lahey as it is easy to make. Time will take care of the dough so you only need some patience. For the Jim Lahey no-knead bread use the following ingredients:
- 3 cups of all purpose organic flour
- ¼ tsp of yeast
- 1¼ tsp of salt (I use just ½ tsp of salt as I do not like to use to much salt)
- 1½ cup of warm water
Start with the flour and put it in a large bowl. Then add the salt and yeast and stir this flour mixture thoroughly. Now you can add the water and stir with a spoon or your hand until you have a dough. This will only take about half a minute to max a minute. As soon as it comes together you are done. I cover the bowl with foil and then cover with a clean kitchen towel. Now you can leave it for at least 12 hours up to 24 hours. The dough will double in size. I use about ¾ of the dough for this recipe. With the remainder of the dough you can make a pan pizza in a skillet or four bread rolls in a hot Dutch oven.
The star of this dish is a home made tapenade and super easy to make I will show you how. No fear you only need a good food processor or good blender.
Once the dough has risen and ready to use I start with the tapenade. Take 8 sun dried tomatoes with some oil from the can and put it in a food processor. Add about 8 to 10 black olives, 1 clove of garlic plus 5 cherry tomatoes. Blend in the food processor or blender until a tapenade starts to form. Put the tapenade mixture in a bowl.
Now take the dough and put it on a well floured board. Roll until you have a gigant tortilla the size of a large dinner plate. Spread with about ⅔ of the tapenade. I know you have been counting and wondering what the 5th ingredient is. It is hard grated parmesan cheese. Spread it evenly on top of the tapenade.
Then roll the tortilla in a sausage type of roll and cut into 2 to 3 centimeter sized pieces. Make another roll with half of the dough and spread the remainder of the tapenade on it. Cut into 8 pieces. Take a baking tin and putt all the rolls next to one another until the baking tin is filled. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise for another hour.
Whisk one medium egg and brush the the top of the tortilla bread with the egg. Pre-heat the oven as high as possible. Mine can heat until 480℉ / 250℃. If your oven can heat up to 500℉/275℃ please use this temperature. Cover the tin with aluminium foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and return the baking tin into the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes. Let it cool slightly and serve.
Now tell me don’t you want to break this bread immediately? I did just that, break and eat.
How to make delicious 5-ingredients tapenade tortilla bread
Want to know how to make delicious 5-ingredients tapenade tortilla bread? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video:
Great to eat with
This dish can be eaten with breakfast, brunch and lunch. You can serve the tortilla bread as a starter or as party food when you have a party. Serve it with e.g smooth roasted spicy tomato salsa, butter or more tapenade.
You can store it in bread box for one or two days or keep it in the freezer and defrost before serving. Warm in the oven at 392℉/200℃ for 9 minutes.
The options with this bread are endless you can add onions, bell peppers, minced meat, soft cheese, pesto, etc, etc. What IS your favorite bread topping?
I hope you enjoy this recipe how to make delicious 5-ingredients tapenade tortilla bread! If you make any my recipes? Tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram to let me know.
Some of my other tapenade recipes
Can you tell how much of a fan I am of tapenade? I use it any chance I get. Take a look at these recipes:
- Tapenade prosciutto pinwheels
- Lentil tortilla soup
- Healthy avocado shrimp tomato tostada
- Vegan smart wrap with a bite
- Healthy kids lunchbox smart wrap
Flour, salt and water the basis for flour tortillas. Add yeast and you have bread dough. Today we make delicious 5-ingredients tapenade tortilla bread.
- For the dough:
- 3 cups of all purpose organic flour
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp yeast
- 1½ cups of warm water
- For the tapenade:
- 6-8 sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tsp of oil from the can with sun dried tomatoes
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 8-10 black olives
- 1 clove of garlic
- 50 grams of grated Parmasan cheese
- Combine flour, salt and yeast in a bowl. Stir so that the salt and yeast is evenly distributed before adding the warm water
- Stir with at wooden spoon or your hands until a consistent dough is formed
- Wrap plastic foil around the bowl and cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Set aside for 12 to 24 hours to let the dough rise
- Prepare the tapenade by adding the sun dried tomatoes with the oil, the olives, cherry tomatoes and the garlic in foodprocessor
- Use a foodprocessor or blender to get the desired consistency of the tapenade
- Flour a board and roll half of the dough into the shape of a gigant tortilla about the size of a dinner plate
- Now spread about ⅔ of the tapenade on the tortilla and roll the tortilla in a sausage shape
- Cut the roll into 10 pieces and put them in a baking tin
- Take half of the remaining dough and repeat the rolling of the tortilla and spreading of the tapenade onto the tortilla. Roll and cut and put these rolls in the baking tin as well
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise for another hour
- Preheat the oven as hot as possible but at least 480℉ / 250℃
- Crack an egg and whisk. Brush the bread with the egg mixture
- Cover the baking tin with aluminium foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- Remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown
- Serve immediately
The preparation time is without the 12 hours the bread dough should rise. Make the dough at end of the day and you can make the tortilla bread in the morning. I used the Jim Lahey recipe but you can use any type of bread dough you prefer. I used the Jim Lahey recipe as it does not take a lot of time kneading to prepare. Time will take care of the dough so you only need some patience.
Calories: 145; Fat: 4.6g; Carbs: 20.5g; Protein: 3.8g;