Dutch apple pie made with organic apples are the best dessert. Add some ice cream or whipped cream and everybody will be happy. Take a slice with some coffee or tea. Are you ready to learn how you can make this authentic easy Dutch apple pie recipe? Lets get started!
Normally our apple trees are full with apple but with the heat wave this year all trees had to suffer so did our apple trees. Instead of yielding 3 to 4 buckets full I now had 8 apples. Just enough for one apple pie.
But what an apple pie. I think everybody has an Dutch apple pie recipe they inherited from their grandmother or mother.
My mother would bake all the time like cake, butter cake or apple pie. That smell of cinnamon and apple still takes me back to my youth.
What a great treat this apple pie is. I can understand why people bake an apple pie when they are selling their house.
That instant homey feeling it gives. Try it in the morning with a cup of tea or warm it in the oven and eat it for dessert.
Dutch apple pie ingredients
You do not need a whole list of ingredients to make this Dutch apple pie recipe from scratch.
- Self-rising flour
- Caster sugar
- Vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- Sweet and sour apples
- Granulated sugar
How to make Dutch apple pie
To make this authentic Dutch apple pie recipe you start with the dough. Take the butter and cut in small pieces. Beat the egg and add ⅔ to the butter in a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract before you add the flour, pinch of salt and sugar.
Knead the dough by hand into a consistent dough. Do not overwork the dough. As soon as it is consistent put the dough in the refrigerator.
Put some warm water on the raisons and set aside for 10 minutes. In the meanwhile peel the apples and finely slice. Sprinkle the sugar on the apple and stir it through the apples. Then sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the apples and stir with a spoon.
Dry the raisins and also add to the apple filling before you set it aside. Take the dough out of the fridge. Cut ⅔ of the dough, flour the kitchen counter and roll out the dough.
Coat the baking form (10 inch) with cooking spray or butter and put the dough in the baking form. Press on the bottom and the side.
Now put the apple mixture on the dough. Roll the remaining dough and cut into long strips. Plait the strips into a wicker pattern.
Finish with the remaining beaten egg and brush it on the dough so it can get a golden glow when it is baked.
Pre heat the oven to 350℉/175℃ and bake the Dutch apple pie between 60-75 minutes. Take the pie out of the oven and let it cool completely before removing the baking form. Cut in 10-12 wedges and serve.
Other sweet baking recipes
If you love this Dutch apple pie recipe you will most definitely love these sweet baking recipes:
- Peppernuts – These are a Dutch treat eaten during the Sinterklaas festivities. These are crunch with so delicious spices.
- Apple pie filling – instead of just slicing the apples you can make this apple pie filling and use it in your apple pie
- Taquitos with apple pie filling – a great sweet filling baked with tortillas another delicious recipe
- Apple pie galette – a pie also made with sliced apples
Have fun with this Dutch apple pie recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
This Dutch apple pie recipe is perfect for dessert or as a coffee cake. Made with apples, raisins and a crunchy sweet crust.
- 400 grams of self-rising flour or 400 grams of wheat flour and 15 grams of baking powder
- 175 grams butter
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 1 egg (⅔ for the dough and ⅓ for the coating)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 7 grams of vanilla sugar
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 kilo sweet and sour apples
- 20 grams of granulated sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 75 grams of raisins
- Cut butter in small pieces. Beat the egg and add ⅔ to the butter in a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract, pinch of salt, sugar and flour
- Knead the dough by hand into a consistent dough and put in the refrigerator
- Put some warm water on the raisons and set aside for 10 minutes
- Peel the apples and cut in thin slices. Stir the sugar and cinnamon through the apple
- Dry the raisins and also add to the apple filling
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Cut ⅔ of the dough, flour the kitchen counter and roll out the dough
- Coat the baking form (10 inch) with cooking spray or butter and put the dough in the baking form. Put the apple mixture on the dough
- Roll the remaining dough and cut into long strips. Plait the strips into a wicker pattern
- Brush the remaining egg on the dough so it can get a golden glow when it is baked
- Pre heat the oven to 350℉/175℃ and bake the Dutch apple pie between 60-75 minutes
- Take the pie out of the oven and let it cool completely before removing the baking form
- Cut in 10-12 wedges and serve
Calories: 354; Fat: 12.5g; Carbs; 58.4g; Protein: 4.3g;