Sweet Dutch baby pancake is a fluffy pancake recipe that is a super easy. You mix it up in less than 5 minutes and it is excellent for any occasion. As today is a special occasion and we are celebrating King’s day in the Netherlands and this recipe is absolutely fit for a King and a queen. Ready to learn how you can make this sweet Dutch baby pancake recipe? Lets get started!
Even though this recipe is called Dutch baby it has nothing to do with the Netherlands. It is not a traditional Dutch pancake recipe and not really know here at all. If you are looking for traditional Dutch pancake recipe you can try this pancake recipe. This Dutch baby pancake recipe is also known as German pancakes but being Dutch I go for Dutch baby pancake.
It is not a small dish either and is made in a cast iron skillet. The original recipe is from the 1900’s and made by a family run cafe in Seattle that specialised in breakfast recipes. This recipe can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or even as dessert.
Sweet Dutch baby pancake ingredients
Making pancakes from scratch is actually very easy. To make a sweet Dutch baby you need a limited amount of ingredients and a blender. You need the following ingredients for this recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Real butter
- Blue and raspberries
- Icing sugar for serving
How to make a sweet Dutch baby pancake
This recipe takes 5 minutes swirl together. The easiest way is to make it in a blender to make sure all the ingredients come together. You can also combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk by hand. For the best result you let the batter rest for 20 minutes before baking.
Start by adding the flour in the blender and adding the salt, sugar, vanilla extract and the eggs in the blender. Blend for a couple of seconds and scrape the sides of the blender. Make sure the flour is blended properly and blend again for half a minute. Set the blender aside.
Heat the oven at 450℉/225℃ and put your cast iron skillet in the oven while it heats. When the oven is hot take the skillet out. Work fast to not let the skillet cool down. Melt a knob of butter in the pan. Then pour all of the pancake batter in the pan.
Replace the skillet in the oven and let the sweet Dutch baby pancake in the oven between 20 to 25 minutes. The Dutch baby will puff up in the oven. When the pancake is done put blue and raspberries on the Dutch baby and finish it with icing sugar.
Other pancake recipes
If you love pancakes take a look at these delicious pancake recipes:
- Vegan banana peanutbutter pancake
- Easiest fluffy coconut flour pancakes
- Traditional Dutch pancakes
- Pancake muffin bites
Dutch baby pancakes do not necessarily have to be sweet but can also be savory. Try these options:
- Fruit – In this recipe I used blue berries and raspberries but you can also use banana, strawberry or peaches
- Ham – Want a savory version try serrano ham, Parma ham or Raw ham. Add the ham after the Dutch baby comes out of the oven. Pull the ham apart and divide on the pancake
- Jams – Take a spoon and your favorite jam like strawberry jam, berry jam, apple jam or fruits of the forrest jam
- Sweet topping – add some sugar, coconut sugar, agave syrup or apple syrup
See how you can make a sweet Dutch baby pancake
Want to see how you can make a sweet Dutch baby pancake? Watch the video instruction below:
Have fun with this sweet Dutch baby pancake recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or share it and PIN it on Pinterest.
Sweet Dutch baby pancake is a fluffy pancake recipe is a super easy recipe that you mix up in 5 minutes and excellent for any occasion whether breakfast, lunch or dessert.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup 0% fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons real butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup blue berries
- ½ cup raspberries
- Icing sugar for serving
- Put the flour, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a blender. Blend for a couple of seconds. Scrape down the sides and then blend for half a minute in a loose batter
- Rest the batter for 20 minutes to give the flour time to absorb the liquid
- Pre heat the oven at 450°F and heat the cast iron skillet in the oven while it heats
- When the oven is hot remove the skillet from the oven, add the butter and swirl the pan to melt the butter
- Pour the batter in the skillet and place the skillet back in the oven
- Bake the Dutch baby until the pancake is puffed and brown in 20 to 25 minutes
- Decorate with fruit and dust with icing sugar
- Serve from the pan or cut into wedges
Calories: 180; Fat: 8.3g; Carbs: 20.8g; Protein: 5.6g;