A sweet Dutch Baby pancake is a super fluffy pancake!
This recipe is super easy to make. Mix it up in less than 5 minutes and it is excellent for any occasion. You can eat these Dutch baby pancakes sweet or savory, for breakfast, lunch and even for dessert. So are you ready to learn how you can make this sweet Dutch baby pancake recipe? Let’s get started!
Even though this recipe is called Dutch baby it has nothing to do with the Netherlands.
It is not a traditional Dutch pancake recipe and not really know here in Holland at all.
This Dutch baby pancake recipe is also known as German pancakes but being Dutch I go for Dutch baby pancake.
It is not a small dish either and is made in a cast-iron skillet.
The original recipe is from the 1900s and made by a family-run cafe in Seattle that specialized in breakfast recipes.
Sweet Dutch baby pancake ingredients
Making pancakes from scratch is actually very easy. To make a sweet Dutch baby you need a limited amount of ingredients and a blender.
You need the following ingredients for this recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Real butter
- Blue and raspberries
- Icing sugar for serving
How to make sweet Dutch baby pancake
This recipe takes 5 minutes to put together. The easiest way is to make the batter in a blender to make sure all the ingredients are properly combined.
You can also combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk by hand. For the best result let the batter rest for 20 minutes before baking.
Start by adding the flour in the blender then the:
- vanilla extract
Blend for a couple of seconds and scrape the sides of the blender. Then blend the batter again for half a minute so the flour can absorb all the ingredients.
Set the blender aside. Preheat the oven at 450℉/225℃ and put your cast-iron skillet in the oven while it heats.
The skillet should be piping hot. When the oven is hot take the skillet out.
Work fast to not let the skillet cool down too much. Melt a knob of butter in the pan. Then pour all of the pancake batter in the pan.
Replace the skillet in the oven and let the sweet Dutch baby pancake in the oven between 20 to 25 minutes.
The Dutch baby will puff up in the oven. When the pancake is done put blue and raspberries on the Dutch baby and finish it with icing sugar.
Other pancake recipes
If you like this pancake recipe I have some more pancake recipes. Take a look at these delicious pancake recipes:
- Vegan banana peanut butter pancake
- Easiest fluffy coconut flour pancakes
- Traditional Dutch pancakes
- Pancake muffin bites
Dutch baby pancakes do not necessarily have to be sweet but can also be savory. Try these options:
- Fruit – In this recipe, I used blueberries and raspberries but you can also use banana, strawberry or peaches
- Ham – Want a savory version try serrano ham, Parma ham or Raw ham. Add the ham after the Dutch baby comes out of the oven. Pull the ham apart and divide on the pancake
- Jams – Take a spoon and your favorite jam-like strawberry jam, berry jam, apple jam or fruits of the forest jam
- Sweet topping – add some sugar, coconut sugar, agave syrup or apple syrup
- Eggs – bake an egg and put it on top
- Cheese – sprinkle mozzarella, parmesan or melted brie on the Dutch baby when it comes out of the oven. You can put it in the oven for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese
- Margherita Dutch Baby – bake the Dutch baby as described and halfway through take out the skillet. Add all the ingredients of a Margherita flatbread pizza and your Dutch baby is the best
Watch how to make sweet Dutch baby pancake
Want to see how you can make a sweet Dutch baby pancake from?
Take a look at the recipe video that shows you step by step instructions on when to do what so you can follow along.
It shows you how easy it is to make this recipe yourself!
I hope you enjoy this sweet Dutch baby pancake recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Sweet Dutch baby pancake is a fluffy pancake recipe. Super easy recipe that you mix up in 5 minutes. Excellent for any occasion breakfast, lunch or dessert.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup 0% fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons real butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup blue berries
- ½ cup raspberries
- Icing sugar for serving
- Put the flour, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a blender. Blend for a couple of seconds. Scrape down the sides and then blend for half a minute in a loose batter
- Rest the batter for 20 minutes to give the flour time to absorb the liquid
- Pre heat the oven at 450°F and heat the cast iron skillet in the oven while it heats
- When the oven is hot remove the skillet from the oven, add the butter and swirl the pan to melt the butter
- Pour the batter in the skillet and place the skillet back in the oven
- Bake the Dutch baby until the pancake is puffed and brown in 20 to 25 minutes
- Decorate with fruit and dust with icing sugar
- Serve from the pan or cut into wedges
Calories: 180; Fat: 8.3g; Carbs: 20.8g; Protein: 5.6g;