Frybread is one great bread recipe that requires 5 ingredients and is done in 20 minutes!
Simple, easy and so delicious. Great for Sunday breakfast or a sweet lunch. A vegan bread that you can make sweet but also savory. Are you ready to learn how to make frybread? Let’s get started!
Frybread also spelled as fry bread, is a flatbread of Native American origin made with simple ingredients that are in your kitchen cabinet for certain.
This bread tastes a little bit like a flat donut so be prepared to love it. This bread is also known as:
- Fry bread
- Native American bread
- Indian bread
- Navajo bread
You can eat this bread as is but also as a sweet or savory bread. You can even turn it into a taco. So many options with this bread.
Today it is the actual bread recipe with a little bit of sugar. However feel free to swap for jam, syrup, icing sugar or cut it open and put some apple pie filling in the center.
This bread has a lot of similarities with chalupa that is also a type of fried bread.
So what is frybread made of? To make this flatbread recipe you need the following ingredients on your grocery shopping list:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vegetable oil
You can also use lard, shortening in this recipe.
How to make frybread
Now this recipe is just like a lot of bread recipes. Take a big bowl and combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
If you want a sweet bread you can add a 1 tbsp of sugar. Then add the water and vegetable oil and mix into a dough.
Now knead the dough for 5 minutes until you get an elastic dough. Cut into five equal pieces and knead some more.
Roll into a small round shape with a rolling pin and make a hole in the middle. Heat oil in a big skillet or frying pan.
Fry the frybread in about a minute in the oil. You will see the bread dough puff up.
Do not leave the bread in the oil to long because the frybread will get too hard on the outside.
Sprinkle on some granulated sugar or icing sugar and your Navajo bread is ready to serve.
How to store frybread?
There are a number of ways to store this Indian bread.
- Fresh – you can best eat these flatbread fresh while they are hot
- Fridge – you can put them in a ziplock bag and store them in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Wait until the bread have cooled completely
- Freezer – these frybreads freeze well. Put them in freezer-friendly container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months
How to reheat frybread?
To reheat your frybread you have a number of options:
- Oven – wrap the flatbread in foil. Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C and put the flatbreads in the middle of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes on the wire rack. If you want a crispy outside leave them in the oven for another 5 minutes
- Skillet – preheat a skillet to medium heat and add a little bit of oil. Add the frybread and warm them through. Turn regularly as you do not want dark spots on your bread
Can fry bread be made ahead of time?
You can make frybread ahead. Make the bread dough and leave it covered in the fridge. You can even leave it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Due to the leavening agent, the dough will become lighter when fried.
Other vegan bread recipes
If you like baking bread then check out the following recipes as well:
- Easy no-knead bread – This easy no-knead bread recipe is the answer for everyone who loves freshly baked bread, with lots of air pockets and a crunchy crust. It is always time for fresh bread.
- No-knead Mediterranean bread – Another no-knead bread with tomatoes and Mediterranean olives. You can put this bread together in less than 5 minutes and then wait before you bake.
- Sweet pull apart chocolate and nuts bread – A delicious sweet bread recipe. It contains spelt flour, cocoa, cocoa nibs and lots of pecan nuts.
See how to make frybread
Want to see how you can make frybread with sugar yourself from scratch? No problem just watch the instruction video to follow along.
It will show you how simple it is to make this recipe.
Have fun with this fabulous fry bread recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a great Indian frybread? Try this Indian bread. It requires 5 ingredients and is ready in 20 minutes. Both sweet or savory!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup of water
- ½ cup of sugar (optional)
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt int a bowl. Mix together
- Add the water and oil
- Stir into a dough and knead into a elastic dough
- Cut into 5 equal pieces
- Flatten each and role into a pancake. Make a hole in the center
- Heat a large frying pan and fill it with a generous layer of oil
- Fry the breads in about 30 seconds, turn and fry the other side until golden brown. The bread will be done in less than a minute
- Remove excess oil on a paper towel before you role the bread in a plate of sugar.
Calories: 108; Fat: 1.4g; Carbs: 24.9g; Protein: 0.6g