Flatbread. Is there anything better than eating with your hands? Ripping food apart and getting your hands dirty. Well, then I have got the recipe for you today.
We are making flavorsome soft vegan flatbread. What I like about it best is how soft these flatbreads are. Do you want to learn how you can make this flavorsome soft flatbread recipe? Let’s get started!
It is quite an easy and simple recipe. It only requires 4 ingredients and doesn’t contain any yeast or baking soda.
Flatbread is the most ideal bread. It is easy to make and you can adjust the flavor by adding some herbs or spices.
Is the recipe for vegans only? Here’s the deal:
- This recipe is made with vegan products but you can make it with regular non-vegan ingredients as well
- These flatbreads can be eaten if you are vegan, lactose intolerant or non-vegan
To make the dough you can use a kitchen machine to knead the dough but you can do it by hand as well.
Vegan soft flatbread ingredients
If you want to make this flatbread recipe you need the following ingredients which are likely in your pantry and fridge:
- Plain flour
- Vegan vegetable butter
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Vegetable oil for baking
How to make soft vegan flatbread
To make this flatbread recipe start with the dough. Take the all purpose flour, add salt in the kitchen machine and pulse two or three times to combine.
Then add the unsweetened almond milk (if you are non-vegan you can use regular milk) and put it on the stove to warm. Add the vegan butter to the milk.
Warm slowly to dissolve the butter (do not boil the milk). As soon as the butter is dissolved take the milk from the heat.
Add the milk mixture to the flour. Then turn on your kitchen machine or knead it through by hand until you have an elastic dough.
In the kitchen machine, this takes about 2 to 3 minutes. By hand, this will take more like 10 minutes.
Take the dough out of the kitchen machine and flour your board to knead the dough through by hand.
Wrap in foil and let it rest for about 30 to 40 at room temperature so the gluten in the dough can activate.
Make the flatbread
After a rest period, take the dough out of the foil and knead the dough thoroughly one more time with some flour.
Then slice the dough into 6 pieces to get medium sized (8inch) flatbread or 10 pieces for 6-inch flatbread.
If you like bigger flatbread cut into 4 pieces for 10-inch flatbread. Flour the board and roll the flatbread into a round shape be aware to not roll the flatbread too thin.
Then heat a skillet on medium to high heat. Use some vegetable or olive oil and brush your skillet.
Bake the flatbread until you see brown patches and bubbles on the flatbread. Now turn the flatbread to bake for another 2 minutes.
Then the flatbread is done. You can brush some oil and finely chopped garlic to turn it into garlic flatbread. The flatbread remains nice and soft.
These flatbreads taste best when you eat them directly. But you can also store them:
- You can keep them in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days put them in a resealable freezer bag
- These also freeze well just put them in a freezer bag
When you want to use them thaw them first and warm in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil at 425℉/210℃ for 10 minutes.
Delicious to eat with soft vegan flatbread
You can eat this flatbread with one of these delicious curries:
- Yellow chickpea curry – curry and flatbread are a great combination try it with this yellow chickpea curry
- Thai green broccoli curry – or eat it with this vegan Thai green broccoli curry
- Lentil curry – vegan, meat or fish curries. If you like curry you can eat this flatbread as a side dish
- Beef taco – make them medium sized and you get a great soft taco with this beef taco
- Chicken quesadillas – make a great chicken filling and bake this chicken quesadilla in the oven
- Beef fajitas – these flatbreads are a great base for you slow cooked beef fajitas
- Bar style pizza – flatbread are a great pizza base let them get nice an crunchy
- Naan – is also great to eat with curry so if you do not have any naan bread in your kitchen serve it with flatbread
More vegan flatbread recipes
There are so much different vegan flatbread recipes. Here a small selection if you like to make more flatbread recipes yourself:
- Garlic and herb chickpea flatbread
- Soft sweet potato flatbread
- Red lentil flatbread
- Chinese scallion flatbread
- Avocado paratha flatbread
- Turkish yufka flatbread
- Soft savory roti with dahl
See how to make flavorsome soft vegan flatbread
Want to see how you can make flavorsome soft vegan flatbread without yeast? Watch the video instruction below:
I hope you enjoyed this recipe on how to make flavorsome soft vegan flatbread!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
We are making this flavorsome soft vegan flatbread recipe. It is simple, quick and easy side dish and only requires 4 ingredients no yeast.
- 2 cups / 300 gram of plain flour (additional to flour the board for rolling the dough)
- ½ tsp of salt
- 50 grams of vegan /vegetable butter
- 175 ml of unsweetened almond milk
- Vegetable oil for baking
- Put flour and salt in the kitchen machine
- Melt butter and combine with milk
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and salt
- Let kitchen machine run to combine into an elastic dough
- Knead the dough by hand for a couple of minutes
- Wrap in foil and let it rest for at least 30 -40 minutes
- Knead the dough on a floured board before cutting into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll with a rolling pin into tortilla shaped circles of about 8 inch. Do not roll to thin.
- Heat a skillet with some sunflower oil or olive oil
- Bake the flatbread about 2 minutes per side. The flatbread should get brown patches and you will see bubbles appear. Turn and bake the other side.
- Ready to serve
Calories: 212; Fat: 4.5g; Carbs; 36.8g; Protein: 5.5g;