This soft vegan flatbread is amazing and can be eaten by everyone, no yeast and done in no time!
If you never made homemade flatbread before this is a great recipe to start with. It is a quick and easy flatbread. No eggs, no sugar, no yeast, no baking powder so no waiting hours to proof dough. So are you ready to learn how to make this flatbread recipe with 4 ingredients? Let’s get started!
Flatbread, is there anything better than eating with your hands? Ripping bread apart and getting your hands dirty.
Well if you love to eat with your hands just as much as I do this flatbread recipe is for you.
You can eat if you are vegan but you do not have to be vegan to eat these flatbreads (as long as you are gluten tolerant).
What can flatbread be used with?
Flatbread can be used with just about anything. As they are so easy to make you can make them any time and add them to your meals.
Use it as naan and dip it in a tasty curry, wrap it around your chicken shawarma or turn it into your favorite lunch wrap with a bite.
If you make small flatbread use them in your Mexican recipes like tacos or fajitas.
Make them bigger and wrap your food inside like a burrito.
Eat them fresh, store them in the fridge or freezer so you always have some on hand when you need them.
What is considered flatbread?
Flatbread is used for bread usually made with only flour, water, and salt kneaded into a dough.
Most flatbreads like flour tortillas or roti are unleavened and some are leavened with yeast, like naan or pita bread and some with baking powder.
Flatbreads are usually made with regular flour but you can easily substitute the flour with almond flour, cornflour or chickpea flour.
Add some garlic, herbs, and spice and you have tasty garlic herbs flatbread.
Vegan soft flatbread ingredients
As mentioned this flatbread recipe only contains 4 ingredients. I’m certain you have all of these ingredients already in your kitchen pantry without a grocery run.
- Plain flour
- Vegan vegetable butter
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Vegetable oil for baking
If you are non-vegan you can use regular milk and butter.
How to make soft vegan flatbread
Make the flatbread dough
To make this flatbread recipe start with the dough. Take the all-purpose flour, add salt in the kitchen machine and pulse two or three times to combine.
Then add the unsweetened almond milk (if you are non-vegan you can use regular milk) and put it on the stove to warm. Add the vegan butter to the milk.
Warm slowly to dissolve the butter (do not boil the milk). As soon as the butter is dissolved take the milk from the heat.
Add the milk mixture to the flour. Then turn on your kitchen machine or knead it through by hand until you have an elastic dough.
In the kitchen machine, this takes about 2 to 3 minutes. By hand, this will take about 10 minutes.
Take the dough out of the kitchen machine and flour your board to knead the dough through by hand.
Wrap in foil and let it rest for about 30 to 40 at room temperature so the gluten in the dough can activate.
Make the flatbread
After a rest period, take the dough out of the foil and knead the dough thoroughly one more time with some flour.
Slice the dough into 6 pieces. Flour the board and roll the flatbread into a round shape be aware to not roll the flatbread too thin.
Then heat a skillet on medium to high heat. Use some vegetable or olive oil and brush your skillet.
Bake the flatbread until you see brown patches and bubbles on the flatbread. Now turn the flatbread to bake for another 2 minutes.
Then the flatbread is done. You can brush some oil and finely chopped garlic to turn it into garlic flatbread. The flatbread remains nice and soft.
You can slice the dough in:
- 6 pieces to get medium-sized (8inch) flatbread
- 10 pieces for 6-inch flatbread
- 4 pieces for 10-inch flatbread
These flatbreads taste best when you eat them directly. But you can also store them:
- Refrigerator – you can keep them in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days put them in a resealable freezer bag
- Freeze – These also freeze well just put them in a freezer bag
When you want to use them thaw them first and warm in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil at 425℉/210℃ for 10 minutes.
What to eat with soft vegan flatbread
You can eat this flatbread with one of these delicious curries:
- Yellow chickpea curry – curry and flatbread are a great combination try it with this yellow chickpea curry
- Thai green broccoli curry – or eat it with this vegan Thai green broccoli curry
- Lentil curry – vegan, meat or fish curries. If you like curry you can eat this flatbread as a side dish
- Beef taco – make them medium-sized and you get a great soft taco with this beef taco
- Chicken quesadillas – make a great chicken filling and bake this chicken quesadilla in the oven
- Beef fajitas – these flatbreads are a great base for you slow-cooked beef fajitas
- Bar style pizza – flatbread are a great pizza base let them get nice and crunchy
- Naan – is also great to eat with curry so if you do not have any naan bread in your kitchen serve it with flatbread
More flatbread recipes
There are so many different vegan flatbread recipes. Here a small selection if you like to make more flatbread recipes yourself:
- Garlic and herb chickpea flatbread
- Soft sweet potato flatbread
- Red lentil flatbread
- Chinese scallion flatbread
- Avocado paratha flatbread
- Turkish yufka flatbread
- Soft savory roti with dahl
Watch how to make flatbread
Want to see how you can make vegan flatbread without yeast? Watch the video instruction so you can follow along.
It will show you how easy it is to make this recipe from scratch.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe on how to make soft flatbread!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
This soft vegan flatbread is amazing. It is a simple, quick and easy flatbread recipe. No yeast, only 4 ingredients and done in no time. Try it!
- 2 cups / 300 gram of plain flour (additional to flour the board for rolling the dough)
- ½ tsp of salt
- 50 grams of vegan /vegetable butter
- 175 ml of unsweetened almond milk
- Vegetable oil for baking
- Put flour and salt in the kitchen machine
- Melt butter and combine with milk
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and salt
- Let kitchen machine run to combine into an elastic dough
- Knead the dough by hand for a couple of minutes
- Wrap in foil and let it rest for at least 30 -40 minutes
- Knead the dough on a floured board before cutting into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll with a rolling pin into tortilla shaped circles of about 8 inch. Do not roll to thin.
- Heat a skillet with some sunflower oil or olive oil
- Bake the flatbread about 2 minutes per side. The flatbread should get brown patches and you will see bubbles appear. Turn and bake the other side.
- Ready to serve
Calories: 212; Fat: 4.5g; Carbs; 36.8g; Protein: 5.5g;