Tortillitas de camarones a delicious tapas recipe is what we are making today also known as fried shrimp cakes. These are gluten free, crispy and so tasty!
Hola buenos dias! What we are making today gets me in the mood to speak Spanish. Sí because today we are making a tapas dish called tortillitas de camarones. The tortillitas are crispy because they are pan fried and tasty because they are made from organic chickpea flour. The savory flavor is a result of shrimp and scallions. Ready to learn how you can make tortilitas de camarones? Lets get started!
Every little café or restaurant in the south of Spain has an assortment of tapas on the bar. In case you are wondering what is tapas? Tapas are small appetizers to eat together with an alcoholic beverage.
As dinnertime in Spain is much later than in the rest of Europe you need a small bite to bridge the gap between lunch and dinner. Enter tapas, pinxtos or monteditos.
Originally a tapas made with with a slice of bread and a topping was used to put on top of a drink to prevent the flies going into the glass of wine or Sherry.
Nowhere days you still see older Spanish citizens use their tapas on top of their drink to honor this tradition.
Every region have there own variety of tapas and you have literally hundreds of them like:
We first tried this tapas recipe in Isla Canela which is a small town near the Portugese border and I fell in love not knowing what they were.
So whenever we are in Spain, in a tapas bar where they serve tortillitas de camarones we get it immediately.
Tortillitas de camarones ingredients
So what do you need to make this tapas recipe? It only requires a handful of ingredients to make this fried shrimp cakes. If you need you can also follow along with the video below.
Make sure you have the following tortillitas de camarones:
- Chickpea flour
- Small pink shrimp or dried shrimp
- Paprika powder
- Vegetable oil
How to make tortillitas de camarones
The recipe consists of two main ingredients, (dried) shrimp and chickpea flour. Add some scallions and parsley and you are done.
Prepare all of the ingredients. Chop the scallions and parsley. If you use large shrimp you can chop them into small pieces else you can leave the shrimp as is.
Combine all the ingredients with water and use a large spoon to shape the tortillitas into small cakes. Make sure the tortillitas are thin because they will not get crispy but more chewy.
These tapas should be crispy. I didn’t use salt but you can add a pinch of salt to taste to make it more flavorsome.
The tortillitas de camarones are pan fried in vegetable oil so I agree that this not a healthy snack but this is so delicious you have to try it as a cheat meal.
These freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave or in some vegetable oil or warm pan.
More easy tapa recipes
Looking for more tapas recipe that are easy to make? Then have a look at the following recipes:
- Spanish tortilla with Serrano ham
- Mini party tacos shrimp canapés
- Tasty tortilla pizza snack
- Tapenade prosciutto pinwheels
- Easy turkey ranch tortilla pinwheels
- Tempting Spanish tortilla tapas pinchos
See how to make tortillitas de camarones
Want to see how to make this tapas recipe tortillitas de camarones or fried shrimp cakes? Follow along and watch the instruction video below:
That is how to make these tapas/snack fried shrimp cakes or tortillitas de camarones. It is really very simple.
I hope you enjoy this recipe how to make tortillitas de camarones recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
Today we are making a tapas recipe. Crispy tortillitas de Camerones also known as fried shrimp cakes. Made with chickpea flour naturally gluten free.
- 1½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup small pink shrimp or dried shrimp
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 3 spring onion or scallions cut finely in small rings
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1-2 cups of vegetable oil for pan frying (add more when needed)
- 1 cup of water
- Put 1½ cup chickpea flour in a bowl
- Add the paprika powder and parsley.
- Stir thoroughly the flour mixture before adding the water and stir some more
- Then add the scallion and stir
- Add the shrimp and stir as well
- Heat a skillet on medium to high heat
- Take two spoons and scoop the batter into the oil. Press them down in the oil so it becomes a think crisp small pancake
- Pan fry for about 2 minutes or when golden brown then turn the tortillitas de camarones
- When done take the tortillitas out of the pan and drain on a paper towel
- Serve immediately
The mixture should look like a thick batter.
Calories: 247; Fat: 15.9g; Carbs: 19.5g; Protein: 7g;