Hola buenos dias! What we are making today gets me in the mood to speak Spanish. Sí because today we are making a tapas dish called Fried shrimp cakes tortillitas de camarones. The tortillitas are crispy because they are pan fried and tasty because they are made from organic chickpea flour. The savory flavor is a result of shrimp and scallions. So what are we waiting for? Lets get started!
Every little café or restaurant in the south of Spain has an assortment of tapas on the bar. The tapas are small appetizers to eat together with an alcoholic beverage. As dinnertime in Spain is much later than in the rest of Europe they have to bridge the gap between lunch and dinner. Enter tapas, pinxtos or monteditos. Originally used to put on top of a drink to prevent flies going into the glass of wine or Sherry.
Every region have there own variety of tapas and you have literally hundreds of them like the Spanish tortilla or these fried shrimp cakes tortillitas de camarones. I first tried the tortillitas de camarones in Isla Canela which is a small town near the Portugese border and I fell in love not knowing what they were. So whenever we are in Spain, in a tapas bar where they serve tortillitas de camarones we get it immediately.
The recipe consists of two main ingredients, (dried) shrimp and chickpea flour. Add some scallions and parsley and you are done. Prepare all of the ingredients. Chop the scallions and parsley. If you use large shrimp you can chop them into small pieces else you can leave the shrimp as is. Combine all the ingredients with water and use a large spoon to shape the tortillitas into small cakes. Make sure the tortillitas are thin because they will not get crispy but more chewy. These tapas should be crispy. I didn’t use salt but you can add a pinch of salt to taste to make it more flavorsome.
The tortillitas de camarones are pan fried in vegetable oil so I agree that this not a healthy snack but this is so delicious you have to try it as a cheat meal. These freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave or in some vegetable oil or warm pan.
More easy tapa recipes
Looking for more tapa recipes that are easy to make? Then have a look at the following recipes:
- Spanish tortilla with Serrano ham
- Mini party tacos shrimp canapés
- Tasty tortilla pizza snack
- Tapenade prosciutto pinwheels
- Easy turkey ranch tortilla pinwheels
- Tempting Spanish tortilla tapas pinchos
How to make Fried shrimp cakes tortillitas de camarones
Want to know how to make Fried shrimp cakes tortillitas de camarones? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video:
That is how to make these tapas/snack fried shrimp cakes or tortillitas de camarones. Have you ever tried fried shrimp cakes tortillitas de camarones?
I hope you enjoy this recipe how to make fried shrimp cakes tortillitas de camarones! If you make any my recipes? Tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram to let me know.
Today we are making a tapas dish, it is crispy fried shrimp cakes Tortillitas de Camerones in Spanish. Made with organic chickpea flour. Lets get started!
- 1½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup small pink shrimp or dried shrimp
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 3 spring onion or scallions cut finely in small rings
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1-2 cups of vegetable oil for pan frying (add more when needed)
- 1 cup of water
- Put 1½ cup chickpea flour in a bowl
- Add the paprika powder and parsley.
- Stir thoroughly the flour mixture before adding the water and stir some more
- Then add the scallion and stir
- Add the shrimp and stir as well
- Heat a skillet on medium to high heat
- Take two spoons and scoop the batter into the oil. Press them down in the oil so it becomes a think crisp small pancake
- Pan fry for about 2 minutes or when golden brown then turn the tortillitas de camarones
- When done take the tortillitas out of the pan and drain on a paper towel
- Serve immediately
The mixture should look like a thick batter.
Calories: 247; Fat: 15.9g; Carbs: 19.5g; Protein: 7g;