This Greek gyros recipe tastes amazing with pita bread. Add the homemade tzatziki and you have a restaurant worthy dish in the comfort of your own home!
After making fluffy, soft pita bread a great filling was need. What better way to stuff the perfect pita bread with some Greek gyros. A simple put tasty recipe where you can’t go wrong with. Eat it with some potatoes or rice and you have a delicious meal. Are you ready to learn how to make Greek gyros pita bread? Let get started!
This gyros recipes requires soft and tender meat like:
- Pork meat – used the most for gyros
- Chicken – a great and protein rich ingredient that will work great in gyros and used a lot as alternative to pork meat
- Lamb meat – originally gyros is made with lamb meat
- Beef – also a great ingredient for gyros but found less often in gyros
Besides soft meat or poultry you need tasty seasoning to get out the best flavor. In this recipe I just pork and homemade seasoning to flavor the pork.
Normally gyros is made from a cone like stack of meat. Flat slices of meat. Stacked vertically combined with a little fat. This to get soft and tender meat.
The cone like stack is heated by a broiler or rotisserie. When the meat is ready to serve strips of meat is shaven vertically from the stack of meat and warmed through in a skillet.
Today we are not stacking meat. That would require an army to eat it all. We do it just slightly different. Take a look.
For this gyros recipe you need an extensive list of the following ingredients on your grocery list. Do not feel put off by it. You have this done in no time:
For the marinade I use the following spices:
- Paprika powder
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How to make Greek gyros
Start with the meat. Cut the pork shoulder in thin strips. Put all the spices in a small bowl and stir throughly. Then add the olive oil. Stir into a marinade and add to the pork shoulder.
Combine the pork shoulder and marinade and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour. Then heat a large skillet with olive oil. Now pan fry the gyros on high heat.
Then add the white onion, red bell pepper and garlic. Stir and let it go soft before you add water to the pan. Now you can let the meat simmer for half an hour. Add some water if required.
While the meat is simmering warm your pita bread in a skillet for a couple of minutes or you can heat the pita in the oven.
Wrap the pita bread in aluminium foil and heat the oven at 350℉/175℃ and warm for 5 to 7 minutes. This gyros really requires a homemade tzatziki sauce. No worries it is one of the easiest dip sauces I ever made.
Other recipes you can make with pita bread
If you have some more pita bread then you can make one of these recipes with it:
- Pita pizza with shrimp and salami – one of the easiest pizza recipes you can make. These are fun to make with your kids and are great for a lunch of afternoon snack. One pita bread yields two pizzas so get creative with your toppings.
- Falafel burger with pita taco – you can make a delicious falafel burger with chickpea, chili pepper, spices and garlic. Half a pita bread and you have two tacos. Add some onion, tomato or sauce to turn it into a great lunch or dinner.
- Delicious easy homemade pita chips – you can make them for the weekend or a game night. Combine with your favorite dips and you have a delicious but responsible snack!
See how to make Greek gyros with pita bread
Want to see how you can make Greek gyros with pita bread? Watch the instruction video below to follow along:
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for an easy Greek gyros with pita bread that you can make at home? Try this gyros recipe with pork shoulder and lots of spices. Lets get started!
- 400 g pork shoulder filet
- 4 pita bread
- 1 white onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of water
- ½ tsp Cumin,
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- Pinch of hot Chili powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- Pinch of hot Chili powder
- Pinch of salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of Parsley
- Cut the pork shoulder in thin strips
- Put all the spices in a small bowl and stir before adding 2 tbsp of olive oil. Stir into a marinade and add to the pork shoulder.
- Combine the pork shoulder and marinade and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Then head a large pan with olive oil and pan fry the gyros on high heat. Then add the white onion, redd pepper and garlic. Stir and let it go soft before you add water to the pan.
- Simmer for 30 minutes and add water if required.
- Heat the pita bread in a skillet for a couple of minutes or you can heat the oven (wrapped in aluminium foil in oven at 350℉/175℃ for 5 to 7 minutes).
- Make a sauce with the Greek yoghurt, finely chopped garlic and parsley.
- Open the pita bread put gyros in the bread, add some red onion and sauce. Serve immediately
Calories: 530; Fat: 16.6g; Carbs: 48g; Protein: 45.4g