Cake donuts are oven baked and contain lots of protein making them a healthy post work out snack or a middag day sweet treat.
If you work out regularly or even if you just like cake this is a recipe to try. These donuts are moist and soft and full of flavor. Want to know how you can make these healthier post workout protein cake donuts? Lets get started!
This donut recipe is really the best of both worlds. On the one hand it contains a lot of added protein and on the other hand I have excluded fat sources like butter but also regular sugar.
These are substituted for healthier options. A note at the start this recipe is not only for people who work out they but can be eaten by everyone who like to eat a healthier version of the donut.
Maybe I mentioned that I have been working out for the last 2 years 4 times a week. Before that of and on for more than 10 years.
What I learned is that when I started my fitness regime I did not eat the right food or at the right time. Fitness is all about fuelling your body and muscle with the right nutrients.
It is also important to eat enough carbohydrates to burn while working out and give your muscles enough protein. As you may have seen good sources of protein are:
- Poultry like chicken or turkey
- Dairy products
- Meat products
- Vegetables like chickpeas, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, peas, beans or lentils
- Organic tempeh
- Nuts like peanuts, almonds, cashew
Cake donuts ingredients
To make this moist and soft cake donuts you need the following ingredients:
- Cake flour
- Apple sauce (unsweetened if possible)
- Coconut sugar
- Caster sugar
- Protein powder
- Chocolate nibs
Using protein powder
So there are lots and lot of possibilities to incorporate high protein sources into your diet. You can also use protein powder also know also Whey powder which is a byproduct of cheese production.
Protein powder has the advantage that one scoop of 28 grams of powder contains 20 gram of protein. If you have a protein goal of about 100 grams per day you can imagine how convenient using protein powder is.
So what if you are vegan or lactose intolerant and do not want to use Whey powder? No problem nowadays lots of vegan protein products are available that are made from beans or plants.
Most protein powders are flavored and for good reason because natural whey doesn’t have a lot of taste.
One more benefit of protein powder is that you can cook with it. As long as you do not exceed 400℉/200℃ you can use it to cook.
Making your donuts healthier
To get me through the morning I make a lot of baking goods and add some additional protein to it. Take the vegan banana chocolate muffins.
These are great as a mid-morning or post workout snack and you can easily add some protein powder to it. The same applies to this healthier post workout protein cake donuts. What makes them healthier is:
- I use cake flour that doesn’t contain added sugar
- Substitute the butter for apple sauce
- Substituted the castor sugar for a mix of ⅔ of coconut sugar and ⅓ of castor sugar. Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index that will not spike your blood sugar. Which doesn’t result in a sugar high or craving.
- Added one scoop of protein powder (chocolate flavor)
- Added chocolate nibs instead of chocolate teardrops that contain sugar.
Substituting these ingredients doesn’t have a negative effect on taste I can assure you. If you want you can glaze these. Take 1 tbsp icing sugar and combine with 1 tsp of milk and you get a white glaze.
This recipe yields 7 big donuts you can make them into muffins which will yield you 12 in total.
See how to make healthier post workout protein cake donuts
Want to see how you make healthier post workout protein cake donuts? Watch the instruction video below to follow along:
Have fun with this healthier post workout protein cake donuts recipe! Made a recipe please tag @thetortillachannel on INSTAGRAM, PIN on PINTEREST and like us on FACEBOOK for more information and updates.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a healthier donut recipe? Not fried but baked? Take a look at these oven baked cake donuts which are a great post work out snack for everyone.
- 250 g of cake flour
- 50 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 200 g of apple sauce (unsweetened if possible)
- 100 g of coconut sugar
- 40 g of caster sugar
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- ½ cup of chocolate nibs
- Put the apple sauce in a big bowl. Add the castor and coconut sugar to the bowl and stir well
- Add the first egg and stir until totally emerged in the batter before adding the 2nd egg
- Gradually stir the cake flour and milk into the batter. Stir thoroughly to avoid lumps
- Then add the protein powder and stir into the mix
- Lastly add the chocolate nibs
- Pre heat the oven to a 360℉/175℃
- Scoop the batter in a donut mold and bake the donuts 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the mold for a couple of minutes before removing the donut
- Glaze by whisking 1 tbsp of icing sugar with 1 tsp of milk. Drizzle on top of the donut
Do you want to give the donuts a glaze layer? Mix a tablespoon of icing sugar with a teaspoon of milk and put it on the donuts to give them a white glaze.
Calories: 345; Fat: 10.5g; Carbs: 52.8g; Protein: 9.6g;