Healthy enchiladas with chicken and spinach are the best. A great dinner recipe that is filled with protein, nutrients, and flavor.
It is so easy to make and requires a limited amount of preparations. The oven is your best friend for this recipe. Ready to learn how you can make healthy enchilada with chicken and spinach? Let’s get started!
Enchiladas is such a great meal and this version has a lot of benefits as we incorporate spinach as one of the main ingredients.
Spinach is a real power food and has a lot of health benefits. Spinach is good for:
- Your skin
- Strengthen your muscle
- Regulating your blood pressure
- Preventing heart attacks.
Spinach is full of iron, so you can not eat too much spinach.
This recipe is also full of protein with chicken and eggs as the other main ingredients.
Healthy enchiladas ingredients
So what do you need for this chicken enchilada recipe? The following ingredients should be on your shopping list:
- Spinach (frozen)
- Chicken breast
- Small tortillas
- Tomato sauce
- Sour cream
- Pine nuts
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Cilantro powder
- Paprika powder
How to make enchiladas with chicken and spinach
Start by taking the spinach from the freezer and let it thaw. Prior to the oven time, you need to prepare two things, the shredded chicken and the boiled eggs.
It really doesn’t matter that you do not prepare and boil your sauce or cook your spinach. It will be in the oven for a long time so time enough to let it cook in the oven.
And think what you can do with all that time that you do not have to prep.
You start with boiling the chicken breast for 20-25 minutes in hot water on a low simmer. In the meanwhile boil two eggs in about 7 minutes.
Retrieve the chicken from the pan and shred the chicken with two forks. Cut the boiled eggs into small pieces.
Preheat the oven on 450℉/225℃. Put the tomato sauce in a bowl. Put all of the spices in a separate small bowl and stir.
You can also make your own enchilada seasoning and store it in a glass jar so you can use it when you need it.
Add the spices to the tomato sauce. Then add the sour cream and chives to the tomato sauce and stir until well combined.
Then start with a small tortilla and add three tablespoons of spinach on the tortilla. The sprinkle pine nuts on the spinach.
Then two tablespoons of shredded chicken and about a tablespoon of egg. Fold the tortilla and put it into an oven dish.
Repeat for the remaining 5 tortillas. Spread the tomato sauce on top of the oven dish. Put the oven dish into the oven and let it bake for 40-45 minutes.
Serve the enchiladas and drop a big scoop of sour cream on top.
Variations on this healthy enchiladas
Looking for a variation to this healthy chicken enchiladas
- Vegan – Just remove the chicken and the boiled egg and you have a great vegan version of the enchiladas
- Beans – Take black or kidney beans and put them on top of the spinach as a replacement of the chicken
- Beef – Do not want to use chicken? Use ground beef and add the spices as mentioned above on the ground beef as well
- Fish – pan fry cod or panga filet. Shred with two forks the same way as with the chicken and divide over the tortillas
Other enchiladas recipes
Want to make more enchiladas recipes then visit the recipes below:
- The best vegan enchilada sauce
- Simple shredded chicken enchiladas
- Tasty turkey enchilada bowl
- Easy beef enchiladas
See how to make enchiladas with chicken and spinach
Want to see how you can make enchilada with chicken, spinach, and egg? Watch the instruction video below:
Hope you have fun with this, healthy enchiladas with chicken recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Healthy enchiladas with chicken and spinach. A great dinner recipe filled with protein, vitamines and iron. An easy one-pot oven recipe!
- 450 grams spinach (freezer)
- 1 big shredded chicken breast
- 2 boiled eggs
- 6 small tortillas
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp Sour cream
- 3 tbsp Pine nuts
- ½ garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Chili powder (hot version)
- ½ cumin powder
- ½ cilantro powder
- ½ paprika powder
- 1 tsp chives
- Thaw the spinach
- Pre heat the oven 450℉/225℃
- Shred the chicken by boiling the chicken breast on a medium simmer for 20-25 minutes and shred. Boil the eggs hard in 7 minutes and cut in small pieces
- Put the tomato sauce in a bowl. Put all of the spices in a small bowl and stir. Add the spices to the tomato sauce. Then add the sour cream and chives to the tomato sauce and stir until well combined
- Combine the enchilada. Start with a small tortilla and add three tablespoons of spinach on the tortilla. The sprinkle pine nuts on the spinach, then two tablespoons of shredded chicken and about a tablespoon of egg
- Fold the tortilla and put it into oven dish. Repeat for the remaining 5 tortillas
- Spread the tomato sauce on top of the oven dish
- Put the oven dish into the oven and let it bake for 40-45 minutes
- Serve the enchilada and drop a big scoop of sour cream on top of the enchilada
Calories: 412; Fat: 15.8g; Carbs: 36.1g; Protein: 33.5g;