To celebrate National Enchilada day and Cinco de Mayo we make a healthy enchilada with spinach, chicken and eggs. This version is so easy to make an required limited amount of preparations. The oven is your best friend for this recipe. Ready to learn how you can make healthy enchiladas with spinach, chicken and egg? Lets get started!
Enchiladas is such a great meal and this version has a lot of benefits as we incorporate spinach as one of the main ingredients.
Spinach is a real power food it is good for your skin, strengthen your muscle, is full of iron, regulated your blood pressure and prevents heart attacks. So you can not eat to many spinach.
This recipe is also full of protein with chicken and eggs as the other main ingredients.
So what do you need for this enchilada with spinach, chicken and recipe? The following ingredients should be on your shopping list:
- Spinach (freezer)
- Chicken breast
- Small tortillas
- Tomato sauce
- Sour cream
- Pine nuts
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Cilantro powder
- Paprika powder
How to make enchiladas with spinach and chicken
Start by taking the spinach from the freezer and let it thaw. Prior to the oven time you need to prepare two things, the shredded chicken and the boiled eggs.
It really doesn’t matter that you do not prepare and boil your sauce or cook your spinach. It will be in the oven for a long time so time enough to let it cook in the oven.
And think what you can do with all that time that you do not have to prep.
You start with boiling the chicken breast for 20-25 minutes in hot water on a low simmer. In the meanwhile boil two eggs in about 7 minutes.
Retrieve the chicken from the pan and shred the chicken with two forks. Cut the boiled eggs into small pieces.
Pre heat the oven on 450℉/225℃. Put the tomato sauce in a bowl. Put all of the spices in a separate small bowl and stir.
Add the spices to the tomato sauce. Then add the sour cream and chives to the tomato sauce and stir until well combined.
Then start with a small tortilla and add three tablespoons of spinach on the tortilla. The sprinkle pine nuts on the spinach, then two tablespoons of shredded chicken and about a tablespoon of egg.
Fold the tortilla and put it into oven dish. Repeat for the remaining 5 tortillas. Spread the tomato sauce on top of the oven dish. Put the oven dish into the oven and let it bake for 40-45 minutes.
Serve the enchiladas and drop a big scoop of sour cream on top of the enchilada.
Variations on this healthy enchilada with spinach and chicken
- Vegan – Just remove the chicken and the boiled egg and you have a great vegan version of the enchiladas
- Beans – Take black or kidney beans and put them on top of the spinach as a replacement of the chicken
- Beef – Do not want to use chicken? Bake minced meat and add the spices as mentioned above also on the minced meat
- Fish – pan fry some cod or panga filet. Shred with two forks the same way as with the chicken and divide over the tortillas
Other enchiladas recipes
Want to make more enchiladas recipes then visit the recipes below:
- The best vegan enchilada sauce
- Simple shredded chicken enchiladas
- Tasty turkey enchilada bowl
- Easy beef enchiladas
See how to make enchiladas with spinach and chicken
Want to see how you can make enchilada with spinach, chicken and egg? Watch the instruction video below:
Hope you have fun with this healthy enchiladas with spinach and chicken recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
We make a healthy enchilada with spinach and chicken. This version is so easy to make an required limited amount of preparations. The oven is your best friend for this recipe.
- 450 grams spinach (freezer)
- 1 big shredded chicken breast
- 2 boiled eggs
- 6 small tortillas
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp Sour cream
- 3 tbsp Pine nuts
- ½ garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Chili powder (hot version)
- ½ cumin powder
- ½ cilantro powder
- ½ paprika powder
- 1 tsp chives
- Thaw the spinach
- Pre heat the oven 450℉/225℃
- Shred the chicken by boiling the chicken breast on a medium simmer for 20-25 minutes and shred. Boil the eggs hard in 7 minutes and cut in small pieces
- Put the tomato sauce in a bowl. Put all of the spices in a small bowl and stir. Add the spices to the tomato sauce. Then add the sour cream and chives to the tomato sauce and stir until well combined
- Combine the enchilada. Start with a small tortilla and add three tablespoons of spinach on the tortilla. The sprinkle pine nuts on the spinach, then two tablespoons of shredded chicken and about a tablespoon of egg
- Fold the tortilla and put it into oven dish. Repeat for the remaining 5 tortillas
- Spread the tomato sauce on top of the oven dish
- Put the oven dish into the oven and let it bake for 40-45 minutes
- Serve the enchilada and drop a big scoop of sour cream on top of the enchilada
Calories: 412; Fat: 15.8g; Carbs: 36.1g; Protein: 33.5g;