Homemade crackers that will make you happy because these are flatbread turned crackers, rosemary sea salt crackers to be exact.
This may be the easiest cracker recipe you will ever find. Ready to learn how to make crackers? Let’s get started!
There are many ways to make homemade crackers but if you ever made this recipe you have no reason to use any other recipe.
As with many of my recipes you have the options to add or adjust ingredients so you can customize them to your liking.
I have been eating crackers all my life. That crunch with sweet or savory toppings is so great.
For some reason, I thought for a long time that crackers were lower in calories than a regular slice of bread but do not be fooled by the size of a cracker.
Where a regular slice of bread has 60 kcal a cracker is 45 kcal. So not a significant difference. What makes this recipe so easy is that it actually a tortilla recipe or flatbread recipe.
If you ever made tortillas yourself and left them to long in the pan you will see how similar they are to a cracker. I will explain how you can get that extra crunchiness to them in the recipe.
If you cut these crackers really small you can serve them with a dip or a spread at your next party or eat them with breakfast or lunch or a midday snack.
These crackers are so versatile there are just so many options.
Homemade crackers ingredients
To make flatbread crackers you need the following ingredients:
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Fresh rosemary
- Oregano (optional)
As you can see these are all the ingredients that you also need to make your favorite tortilla or flatbread.
How to make homemade crackers
Make your flatbread dough in a food processor as this is the easiest and fastest way to make the cracker dough.
You can make it by hand if you do not have a food processor but will take about 10 minutes as it requires some kneading.
In the food processor combine the flour, sea salt, rosemary, and oregano or other herbs if you desire. Pulse these ingredients a couple of seconds.
Then add the olive oil to the flour mix and pulse again. Now let the food processor run and add the water slowly into a consistent dough (less than a minute).
Take the dough out and let it rest for 20 to 25 minutes. You can put it in an oil-covered bowl (cover the bowl) or wrap it in cling film.
Now take a square piece of parchment paper the same size as your baking tray. Roll the cracker dough into a square that covers the entire baking tray.
Roll the dough as thin as you can and then some. If you leave them a little thicker it will take longer to bake. Which is no problem, just be aware and extend the baking time.
Take a pizza cutter and cut the square into 24 crackers. If you like your homemade crackers bigger cut them into 12 crackers or make them smaller into 30 crackers.
Preheat the oven to 450℉/225℃. Bake these rosemary sea salt crackers for 5-8 minutes. The crackers should have a nice light brown color.
Flip each cracker and bake the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes as well. Now turn off the oven and leave the baking tray in the oven while it cools.
This way the homemade crackers dry out and get extra crunchy. Ready to serve.
Cracker making tips
Some tips when baking homemade crackers:
- Instead of one big square, you can also decide to make 5 or 6 regular size flatbreads and bake them in the oven. After the flatbreads are done break them into smaller pieces to get rustic homemade crackers.
- If you have more dough than fits your baking tray just cut away the excess dough and make some regular tortillas.
Flatbread cracker ingredient options
There are many ingredients that you can incorporate into these crackers. Just to name a few:
- Chia seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Garlic powder
You can just add one ingredient or take a couple. Adding a couple of different seeds would turn into a great homemade flatbread cracker I’m certain.
Try and experiment and let us know your results.
Store homemade crackers
There are a number of ways to store your homemade crackers. Here are some of my favorite’s:
- An airtight food container
- Plastic bag or ziplock bag – the ziplock bag is a favorite because you can reuse it
- Crackerbox – Here in the Netherlands we have storage boxes specially designed to store bread or in this case crackers
For all the storage options you can leave the crackers outside of the fridge or freezer. As long as it is in dry place you can keep them for at least a week or longer.
Other flatbread recipes
I have made this recipe with the yufka recipe as a start but there are many flatbread recipes you can use for this recipe like:
- Flour tortillas – basic tortilla recipe
- Garlic and herbs flatbread – one of my favorite flatbreads as well as a readers favorite
- Soft vegan flatbread – soft pliable flatbread with delicious taste
- Moroccan flatbread – already containing great spices and flavor
- Sweet potato flatbread – a different taste but a great base for homemade crackers
See how to make easy flatbread
As the yufka is the basis of this recipe watch the instruction video below to see how easy you can make this flatbread.
Roll it the dough on parchment paper on a baking tray in the oven to get an amazing result.
Have fun making this homemade cracker recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
The easiest homemade crackers are made with your favorite flatbread recipe. Add some of your favorite herbs and make these rosemary and sea salt crackers.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cup water
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp oregano (optional)
- Put flour, sea salt, rosemary and oregano in food processor and pulse. Then add the olive oil and pulse again. Gradually pour warm water into the food processor until the flour turns into a ball (in about a minute)
- Take the dough ball out on a floured board. Knead the dough by hand for about 1 minute
- Wrap dough in cling film and let it rest at least 20 minutes
- But the dough on parchment paper and roll the dough in square. Cut the dough into 24 equal squares.
- Pre heat the oven to 450℉/225℃ and bake these rosemary sea salt crackers for 5-8 minutes. Flip each cracker and bake the other side for another 5-8 minutes as well.
- Turn off the oven and leave the baking tray in the oven for 1 hour while it cools and the crackers dry out and get extra crunchy
Calories: 45; Fat: 1.4g; Carbs: 7.5g; Protein: 1.4g;