The best honey garlic chicken you will love. This recipe is done in 20 minutes and results in the softest chicken you have ever tasted. Great for weeknights when you are stressed for time. Only 7 ingredients so super easy. Ready to learn how you can make the best honey garlic chicken? Lets get started!
Honey and garlic
There is something about honey and garlic. A lot of health benefits are contributed to this combination. Think about reducing high cholesterol, regenerates new cells and reducing bad skin.
Honey helps promote weight loss, source of energy and reduce inflammation. Now honey comes in a million flavors and it may sound silly but honey is just like wine depending on the location and flowers the bees feed from.
There are about 20 flavor profiles for honey and I’m sure that there are even more. Then you can choose between raw and pasteurized honey. Raw honey has much more flavor than pasteurized but has a tendency to crystallize and go grainy.
If you store honey in a dark cool place you can prevent it from crystallizing but the best thing to do is use honey quickly before it goes all grainy and hard. If the raw does crystallize then put the jar in boiling water on a low simmer. The honey will get liquid again but it will crystallize faster than before.
So if you are looking for ways to use honey and not only put it in your tea then try this recipe. Chicken is a great ingredient that adapts beautifully to different flavors.
The garlic and soy sauce are a great counter balance to the sweetness of the honey. Raw garlic might have a very over powering taste but when you sauté it loses that sharpness completely.
As the chicken simmers a subtle sweetness remains. This recipe is done in 20 minutes but works well in a slow cooker or instant pot. I made it in a skillet an let it simmer on the stove but you can let it simmer in the oven as well. Just make sure you cover the pan with a lid or make it in e.g. a Dutch oven.
Honey garlic chicken ingredients
The basic ingredients for this recipe are simple. All you need is:
- Chicken thighs
- Light soy sauce
- Light honey
- Olive oil
You can substitute the chicken thights for chicken breast. To make sure the chicken is cooked properly either cut the chicken breast in half or cut them in big strips. In general chicken breast is dryer when cooked than chicken thighs. That is why I prefer chicken thighs in this recipe.
As it takes longer to cook chicken legs or thighs on the bone I use it without. It cuts cooking time in half. Because the general rule of thumb with chicken is that it is done when it falls of the bone.
How to make honey garlic chicken
Start by cleaning your chicken and remove any excess fat and veins from the chicken thighs. Wash with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. You can season with salt and pepper but I find that the garlic and honey give this recipe lots of flavor already.
Heat a skillet and add some olive oil. Pan fry the chicken on medium heat. Resist the urge to move the chicken around the pan. It will stick and get nasty. Just wait for a couple of minutes and the chicken will release from the pan and you can turn it.
When the chicken has gone brown take it out of the pan and set aside. Then add a little more oil to the pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft and translucent. Now it is time to add the honey and soy sauce. Move it through the pan to cover all the onion and garlic.
Add a cup of water to release all of the baked chicken bits from the pan for a great jus. Return the chicken in the pan cover with a lid and let is simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the chicken a couple of time and cover with the sauce.
Eat this great garlic chicken with
You can eat this recipe with a lot of tasty side dishes, like:
- Basmati rice – white rice decorated with chives or scallions is a great combination.
- Fried rice – chicken and fried rice is such a delicious combination. Spice you rice with some chili pepper and add some scrambled eggs, onions, scallions and shrimp. So good!
- Cauliflower fried rice – want to keep it low carb then try it with cauliflower fried. Honey is not exactly low carb but the amount is low.
- Noodles – if you like chicken with fried rice then you will love it with noodles as well. Try thin noodles in the wok with stir fry some fried onion, garlic, bell pepper and finish with soy sauce and scrambled eggs. Done in less than 10 minutes while your honey garlic chicken is simmering on the stove.
- Vegetable stir fry – do not want rice or noodles try it with a combination of stir fry like this veggie stir fry recipe. Add your favorite vegetables if they are missing in this recipe.
- Naan bread – naan bread, roti or flatbread is a great combination with this recipe as well. Dipping the bread in the rich sauce is such a treat.
Have fun making this honey garlic chicken recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
Honey garlic chicken is an easy dinner recipe with just 7 ingredients and done in less than 20 minutes. Great with rice, roti or flatbread.
- 350 gram chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 smal onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup water
Wash chicken cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Heat a skillet and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Pan fry the chicken on medium heat
When the chicken browns take it out of the pan and set aside. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft and translucent
Add the honey and soy sauce. Move it through the pan to cover all the onion and garlic
Add a cup of water to release all of the baked chicken bits from the pan for a great jus. Return the chicken in the pan cover with a lid and let is simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the chicken a couple of time and cover with the sauce
Ready to serve
1. Start by cleaning your chicken and remove any excess fat and veins from the chicken thighs wash in cold water 2. You can season with salt and pepper but I find that the garlic and honey give this recipe lots of flavor . 3. When cooking the chicken in a skillet resist the urge to move the chicken around the pan. It will stick and get nasty. Just wait for a couple of minutes and the chicken will release from the pan and you can turn it.
Calories: 445; Fat: 30.1g; Carbs: 22.1g; Protein: 29.2g