In this post we show you how you can make a wooden DIY tablet holder. This tablet holder is very handy to use in the kitchen. I am using my tablet a lot when I am cooking, to make a recipe I found on the Internet, to follow a cooking video or to view my favorite series. The tablet holder makes it easy to watch on the tablet during cooking. You can buy a tablet holder in the store but you can also make your own from wood. Or maybe someone likes to make it for you. My tablet holder is made by my husband, he likes to work with wood and also made taco holders and a tortilla press for me.
To make the tablet holder he used a pinewood panel. To keep it low costs he used a panel of 100 cm x 20 cm x 1,8 cm (40 in x 9.8 in x 0.7 in) and sawed it in different parts. Instead of pine you can also use other types of wood, like beech or oak wood. We made the holder to fit a iPad 2 tablet. If you have another tablet, then check how big and thick your tablet is. If it’s bigger or thicker then adapt the measurements of the design to fit your tablet.
How to make a wooden DIY tablet holder
Want to know how it is done? To get a quick overview watch the 1 minute video:
What you need to make the tablet holder
To make the wooden DIY tablet holder you need the following materials and tools:
- 1 wooden panel, he used a pinewood panel of 100 cm x 20 cm x 1,8 cm (40 in x 9.8 in x 0.7 in).
- Some wood glue, he used water proof wood glue to protect it for water in the kitchen.
- A piano hinge or two little hinges with a width of 1,8 cm (0.7 in).
- Two screws.
- Sawing-machine or hand-saw.
- Glue clamps.
- (Electric) jigsaw or a round file
Step 1: Saw wooden panel in parts
To saw all the parts of the tablet holder from the wooden panel use the drawing below. Be aware this drawing is made to hold an Ipad 2 tablet. If you have another tablet, then check the height, width and thickness of your tablet and adapt the measurements where needed. Measure and duplicate the drawing onto the wooden panel. You can use a sawing-machine or a hand-saw. From the wooden panel you will get the following single parts:
- Back panel [A]
- Bottom panel [B]
- Front panel [C]
- Fold-out panel [D]
On the front panel you can make a small recess at the position of your tablet button (see drawing front view). You can use a (electric) jigsaw or a round file for this .
Step 2: Construct the wooden tablet holder
After sawing all the individual parts you are ready to assemble the wooden DIY tablet holder by performing the following steps:
- Glue the bottom panel [B] to the back panel [A].
- Drill two holes in the bottom panel (see drawing bottom view)
- Screw two screws in the holes to fix the bottom panel [B] and back panel [A] together.
- Glue the front panel [C] to the bottom panel [B].
- Use one or two glue glamps to press the front panel [C] and bottom panel [B] together.
- Screw the piano hinge or two small hinges to the diagonal side of the fold-out panel [D].
- Screw the other side of the piano hinge or two small hinges to the middle of the back panel [A]. As shown at the drawing (see back view).
Step 3: Enjoy your handmade tablet holder
After you have finished the tablet holder it is ready for use. For example to make one of my recipes. Do you know there is a free Tortilla Channel app you can use on your tablet? You can find information about the Tortilla Channel app here.
I hope you enjoy it! If you make your own wooden DIY tablet holder and have some questions or want to share your work let me know by leaving a comment below or tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram.