Today something completely different, not a food recipe but a recipe on how to make your own wooden tortilla press.
Of course, you can buy a tortilla press from the store but you can also make your own from wood which is much more fun to do. You only need a wooden panel, two hinges, glue, screws and some handiness. Let’s get started!
For the handmade tortilla press, we used a beechwood panel. To keep it low costs we used a panel of 120 cm x 30 cm x 1,8 cm (47.3 in x 11.8 in x 0.7 in) and sawed it in different parts.
To make a heavy and solid press we made every component from two layers of wood and glued these together.
You can also use a thicker panel of e.g. 3 cm (1.2 in), 3,6 cm (1.4 in) or 4 cm (1.6 in) instead and opt for a single layer tortilla press which will work just as well.
Instead of beech, you can also use other types of wood, like oak wood.
What you need to make the tortilla press
To make the wooden tortilla press you need the following materials and tools:
- 1 wooden panel, we used a beechwood panel of 120 cm x 30 cm x 1,8 cm (47.3 in x 11.8 in x 0.7 in)
- 2 hinges, we used hinges of size 40 mm x 32 mm (1.6 in x 1.26 in)
- Some wood glue
- 8 small screws to attach the hinges
- 2 larger screws to fix the support bars to the bottom board of the press (see instruction drawing below)
- 1 large bolt with matching nut, we used an 8 mm (0.31 in) thick bolt of 120 mm (4.7 in)
- Sawing-machine or hand-saw
- Drilling machine to make a hole for the bolt
- (Electrical) Screwdriver
- Sandpaper, a sanding machine or a file (optional)
- Chopping board oil (e.g. bamboo oil) (optional)
Step 1: Saw wooden panel in parts
Saw all the parts of the tortilla press from the wooden panel use the drawing below. Measure and duplicate the drawing onto the wooden panel. In the video, we use a sawing-machine but you can also use a hand-saw.
From the wooden panel you will get the following single parts:
- Bottom boards [A]
- Top Boards [B]
- Support bars [C + D]
- Presser bar [E]
- Handle [F]
Step 2: Construct the wooden tortilla press
After sawing all the single parts start to assemble the wooden DIY tortilla press by performing the following steps:
- Glue together the bottom boards [A]
- Now glue together the top boards [B]
- Glue together the two support bars [C + D] that are used to hold the handle
- Then glue together the handle [F]
- Glue the presser bar on top of the top board [E]
- Wait until the glue is hardened
- If the parts do not fit perfectly you can use sandpaper, a sanding machine or a file to make all sides equal (optional)
- Connect the bottom board [A] and top board [B] with the 2 hinges on the front side of the boards.
- Drill holes in the support bars [C + D] and the handle [F]
- Add the two support bars [C + D] and the handle [F] together by using the bolt and nut
- Glue the presser bar [E] on top of the top board [B]
- Connect the two support bars [C + D] to the back side of the bottom board [A] using glue and two screws
- Make your wooden DIY tortilla press shiny by applying chopping board oil (e.g. bamboo oil) on it (optional)
Step 3: Enjoy your handmade tortilla press
See how to make a wooden tortilla press
Want to see how you can make a wooden tortilla press yourself? Watch the instruction video below:
I hope you enjoy it! If you make your own wooden DIY tortilla press and have some questions or want to share your work let me know by leaving a comment below or tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!