Spanish tortilla is an authentic Spanish recipe that you can eat as tapas, for lunch or a starter. It is super easy to make with a limited number of ingredients. It is a gluten free dish and when you eat it with a slice of bread you get a tasty pinchos. Want to learn how you can make Spanish tortilla? Lets get started.
Spanish tortilla or Tortilla Espanola as it is called in Spain is a Spanish omelet but different than your regular omelet.
When you visit Spain you will find it everywhere. In the hotels for breakfast, in tapas bars you can get Spanish tortilla or a pinchos to bridge the gap between lunch and dinner or even as a starter for dinner.
Besides the name and the round shape is doesn’t look anything like a flour tortilla.
If you haven’t had a Spanish tortilla before or wondering what it is you can compare it most to Italian frittata or a filled French omelet. So a real egg recipe.
It is super easy to make. In less than 30 minutes this recipe is done. I’m sure you will find the main ingredients in your kitchen cabinet because you need at minimum three ingredients eggs, potatoes, onions.
Three tips for making Spanish tortillas
When making this Spanish omelet recipe take the following three tips into account:
- Wash the potatoes with cold water to remove the starch and these can get soft
- Slice the potatoes in thin slices so it can boil evenly in the oil
- Boil the potatoes in quality olive oil but do not heat the oil to high else you will fry the potatoes instead of boiled
There are many variations that you can make like you will see further down. You can eat it warm, cold and hot.
Spanish tortilla ingredients
To make a Spanish tortilla you need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
How to make Spanish tortilla
To make this tortilla Espagnola recipe start with 4 large eggs in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly with a pinch of salt before setting aside. Cut the potatoes and onion into small slices.
Then boil the potatoes and onions in oil (any kind will do but olive oil or sunflower oil is recommended) on a low to medium simmer until they are nice and soft.
The potato and onion should not get any color so stir regularly and keep the temperature low else you will get patata bravas instead of soft potatoes. This will take about 20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and onion and save the oil. The oil now has a great flavor and can be used in other dishes.
Give the egg mix one final stir before adding the potatoes and onions. Heat a non stick pan with some of the drained oil on medium to low heat. Add the egg mix while swirling the pan on the heat.
Keep swirling until the egg sets and try to separate the side of the egg from the pan. Let the egg set for about 5 to 6 minutes.
Once the egg has set you can turn the Spanish omelet. Slide the tortilla with the baked side on a plate. Turn the pan and put it on top of the tortilla (like a lid) on the plate.
Now turn the pan and plate and set it bake on the stove. Let the egg set for another 6 minutes before taking it out of the pan.
Cut it in to pie piece sizes and serve with some bread, bell pepper or cherry tomatoes. Doesn’t this look delicious?
Spanish tortilla is a versatile dish but there are many ways to customize it to your own liking with options like:
- Crushed Garlic
- Serrano ham
- Pata negra
- Iberico ham
What to eat with Spanish tortilla
If you want to eat this omelet you can eat it with:
- Avocado tomato salad – tapas and salad is a great combination
- Easy no knead bread – take some slices of bread and turn it into a delicious pinchos
- Summer salad – Another delicious salad that you can eat with this Spanish tortilla
If you want to save some of this delicious tortilla you can store. Put it in an air tight container in the fridge for about two days but it is recommended to eat it straight away.
How to make Authentic Spanish Tortilla
Want to see how you can make Spanish tortilla? Watch the video instruction below:
Have fun with this authentic Spanish tortilla recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram and PIN on Pinterest.
How to make authentic Spanish tortilla is simple with just three ingredients. A great tapas to eat any time of the day. Lets get started.
- 350 gram potatoes
- 175 gram onions
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- 8 inch (20 cm) non stick pan
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly
- Peel onion and slice thinly as well
- Heat olive oil in non stick pan until nice and hot
- Add the potatoes and onion to the oil
- Boil (100℃ / 210℉) for about 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes and onion are nice and soft. Turn regularly to prevent mixture from going brown. Keep the heat down to prevent potatoes from frying.
- Drain mixture. Preserve the oil for future use.
- Whisk the eggs and add some salt (not required).
- Add the potato mix and stir some more.
- Heat non stick pan again and add some oil.
- Put tortilla mixture in the pan and swirl the pan. Cook 6 to 7 minutes until the egg mixture is set.
- Take the tortilla out of the pan and put the baked side on a plate. Turn the pan and close it on top of the tortilla as a lid. Turn the plate and pan together to turn the egg in the pan.
- Cook the other side for another 6 to 7 minutes.
Eat it warm or let it cool.
Calories: 290; Fat: 12g; Carbs: 28g; Protein: 15g;