Baked chimichangas are such a great recipe and easy to make yourself
Wrap diced chicken in a big tortilla and put it in the oven for a tasty chicken dinner. Are you ready to learn how to make chimichangas? Let’s get started!
A whole dinner wrapped in a tortilla, how easy is that? Chimichangas is such a great recipe that you can fill up with your favorites.
If you love chicken or beef or just vegetables, it is all good. You can bake like in this recipe or you can deep fry or pan fry.
When you fry this recipe will contain more calories as tortillas are really good at absorbing liquid or oils. But bake them and you still have a super tasty dinner.
Chicken chimichangas ingredients
If you want to make this recipe take a look at the list of ingredients and put them on your grocery shopping list:
How to make chimichangas
To make this recipe start with marinating the chicken breast. Put the Mexican seasoning with oil in a bowl. Add the chicken breast and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Heat a skillet with oil and put the chicken breast into the skillet. Let the chicken bake. Resist the urge to move the chicken around.
It will release by itself. Take a fork and turn the chicken breast to back the other side. Bake the chicken until golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside.
This will take about 5 minutes per side. Take out of the pan and let it rest. Slice into small pieces and set aside.
Now take a tortilla and fill with chicken, onion, beans, and cheese. Wrap like a burrito and put the chimichangas on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Repeat the steps for the remaining three tortillas. Brush a tortilla with oil and set the chimichangas aside.
Preheat the oven to 425℉/200℃ and bake the chimichangas for 25 minutes turning the chimichangas halfway through.
Take out of the oven and serve directly.
Burrito versus chimichangas
What is the difference between a burrito and chimichangas? The short answer is chimichangas is a fried burrito.
- Mexican burrito – tortilla filled with meat and refried beans wrapped into a closed cylinder
- Tex-Mex burrito – soft tortilla wrapped filled with Mexican rice, lettuce, greens, salsa, and guacamole
A burrito is never fried. Just a warm or cold tortilla with a filling wrapped closed.
Chimichangas is a Tex-Mex recipe. Take a soft tortilla and fill with ingredients like meat, vegetables, salsa, and beans.
Fry them in oil or bake in the oven to make it more low-fat.
Are chimichangas freezer friendly?
Absolutely. That is another great thing about chimichangas. You can make them ahead and freeze them. Wrap them individually in aluminum foil.
Just leave the frying or baking until you are going to eat them. Thaw them first and then decide whether to fry or bake them.
Other tortilla recipes
If you love this tortilla recipe you will love these recipes:
I hope you love this how to make chimichangas recipe as much as I do!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Want to learn how to make chimichangas? Take a look at this recipe and bake in the oven for an easy weeknight dinner. It is freezer friendly!
- 4 tortillas
- 300-gram chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 can kidney beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 gram Rice
- Put the Mexican seasoning with 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl. Add the chicken breast and set aside
- Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil and put the chicken breast into the skillet. Bake the chicken 5 minutes per side
- Take out of the pan and let it rest. Slice into small pieces and set aside
- Take a tortilla and fill with chicken, onion, beans, and cheese (rice is optional)
- Wrap like a burrito and put the chimichangas on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat the steps for the remaining three tortillas
- Brush the tortillas with oil. Preheat the oven to 425℉/200℃ and bake the chimichangas for 20-25 minutes turning the chimichangas halfway through until golden brown
- Take out of the oven and serve directly
Calories: 456; Fat: 17g; Carbs: 51g; Protein: 25g;