Usually when I make roti I make roti with dahl filling. However there is another roti recipe that I have seriously neglected and that is potato flatbread roti. This one is much easier and quite as delicious as the roti with dahl filling. If you have never made flatbread roti before this might be a good version to start with. Want to learn how to make potato flatbread roti? Lets get started!
I have this very old Surinam cook book. It doesn’t contain any images at all only quite a number of recipes and of course one of the recipes is the potato flatbread roti.
I love roti recipes as special my fathers rustic roti with chicken. If you have not tried it yet you should. What is really great about this recipe is that you only need three ingredients that are almost available in any house hold.
Potato flatbread roti ingredients
If you want to make potato flatbread roti you need to have the following ingredients:
- Oil for brushing
Nothing else. You can add salt if you like but I haven’t and I didn’t miss it.
How to make potato flatbread roti
Start by peeling the potato’s and dice them in small pieces to speed up the cooking process. Take a very crumbly, high starch potato. Once the potatoes are cooked mash them with e.g. a fork in a big bowl.
When the potato is mashed add one cup of flour (you can use either wheat flour but all-purpose will work just fine). Stir the flour through the potatoes with the fork until the flour and potatoes are combined.
Then add another ½ cup of flour and stir it through as well. With the final ½ cup of flour you can knead the dough by hand until you have a consistent and elastic dough.
Take out the dough and knead the dough for a couple of minutes before you put it in a bowl. Brush the dough with some vegetable oil and wrap the bowl with some thin foil and let it rest for 1 hour.
Heat a skillet on high heat before you cut the dough into small pieces about the size of a golf ball. Take a rolling pin and cover with flour.
Roll the dough into a roti shape and bake the roti in the skillet on high heat without oil. Cook for about a minute, flip and cook the other side for a minute as well. Then take the roti out of pan and keep warm underneath a clean kitchen cloth. This recipe yields about 7 flatbreads.
What to eat potato flatbread roti with
If you are wondering what to eat a potato roti with take a look at these recipes:
- My father rustic chicken roti – this is one of my favorite recipes a recipe I learned from my father and authentic Surinam recipe.
- Lentil red curry – if you are vegan than this curry will complement your roti even more. Also really delicious if you are not vegan by the way.
- Yellow chickpea curry – more curry recipes that contain chickpeas which are a great substitute for meat
- Spicy Thai red chicken curry – This Thai recipe is the ideal recipe for a roti recipe because the sauce and the potato roti go so well together
- Green curry – A green curry with loads of vegetables is also a great recipe to eat with your potato roti
More flatbread recipes
There are so much different flatbread recipes. Here a small selection if you like to make more flatbread recipes yourself:
- Soft savory roti with dahl
- Flavorsome soft vegan flatbread
- Tasty soft sweet potato flatbread
- Vegan red lentil flatbread
- Chinese scallion flatbread
- Avocado paratha flatbread
- Turkish yufka flatbread
How to make potato flatbread roti
Want to learn how to make potato flatbread roti? Watch the instruction video below:
Have fun maken this easy potato flatbread roti recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
I love comments so let me know your thoughts in the comment box below. Have you ever made flatbread roti yourself?
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links for which I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. All the products listed are products I use myself or are from companies I highly recommend. Thank you for supporting The Tortilla Channel!
Potato flatbread roti is great if you never made roti before. Just 3 ingredients. Want to learn how to make potato flatbread roti? Lets get started!
- 4 potatoes (approx 600 grams)
- 2 cups of flour (wheat flour)
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil (for brushing the dough)
- Peeling, dice and boil the potato's until soft
- Drain and mash the potatoes
- Add 1 cup of flour and stir through the potatoes
- Add another ½ cup of flour and combine thoroughly
- Put dough on a floured surface and add the last ½ cup of flour and knead the dough until elastic
- Then put in a bowl and brush with oil before wrapping with cling film and let it rest for 1 hour
- Heat skillet before taking the dough out of the bowl and knead one more time before cutting it in size of golf balls (approx 7)
- Roll the dough into a roti and bake in the hot skillet (no oil). Flip and bake the other side
- Take out of the pan and keep warm
Calories: 149; Fat: 2.2g; Carbs: 28.9g; Protein: 3.5g