Yes, you can eat tortillas even when you are on a keto diet or eating low carb. These keto tortillas are the best
These low carb tortillas are just as soft and pliable as any regular tortilla. Full of flavor so you won’t even notice these are without grain or flour. Are you ready to learn how you can make this keto tortillas recipe from scratch? Let’s get started!
Finally, they are here keto tortillas wraps. It has been a hot topic and finally on the blog by popular demand.
I received a lot of requests to share easy and tasty tortilla wraps that are keto-friendly and fit a low carb lifestyle.
As you can’t use regular flour or grain when you are eating low carb the basis of these keto tortillas flatbreads are almond flour.
One of the downsides to low carb flour is the price. Almond flour e.g. is 10 times more expensive than regular flour.
That is why making almond flour yourself is such a great thing to do. Be certain to buy a big bag of almonds and make a lot of your own flour.
Because when you tried these keto flatbreads I’m certain you want to make them over and over again.
Keto tortillas ingredients
So what you need on your shopping list to make these wraps is a little bit different than your regular tortillas.
Take a look at these ingredients:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Xanthan gum
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baking powder
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
How to make keto tortillas recipe
Start this recipe by adding all the dry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse a few times so the ingredients are properly combined.
Turn on the food processor and first add the apple cider vinegar. Then whisk the egg and add it to the kitchen machine as well.
Finally, add the water. The dough now should come together and turn into a sticky ball. Take it out of the kitchen machine.
Then knead the dough by hand and wrap in cling film. Knead the dough to form a cylinder and put it in the refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
Then cut the dough cylinder into 8 pieces. Knead each piece into a ball.
Take a plastic bag like e.g. a ziplock bag that is cut open at the side, place a dough ball in the plastic.
Put the plastic bag in a tortilla press and press it close, so you will get a tortilla. If the tortilla is a bit too thick take a rolling pin and roll out the tortilla a bit more.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. You do not need any oil or butter. Put the tortilla in the skillet and let it sit for about 30 seconds.
Take a look to see if brown patches are visible else leave for another 20-30 seconds. Then turn the tortilla and cook the other side for 30-60 seconds.
Take out of the pan and put on a plate covered with a clean tea towel.
Ready to serve.
What is Xanthan gum?
As almond flour does not contain carbs or gluten you need something to bind the ingredients together. In this recipe, I use xanthan gum.
There are a number of other thickening agents that you can use instead of xanthan gum like:
- Guar gum
- Arabic gum
- Psyllium seed husks
- Egg whites
Are these low carb tortillas gluten-free?
These keto tortillas are indeed gluten-free as almond flour doesn’t contain any grain and is made of white blanched almonds.
The xanthan gum also doesn’t contain any gluten so if you are gluten intolerant you can eat these almond keto tortillas.
Texture-wise these tortillas have a lot in common with Mexican corn tortillas that are also pliable and full of flavor.
How to store almond flour keto tortillas
You have a number of options when you want to store these low carb tortillas:
- Airtight container – If you are going to eat these tortillas in a day or 2 you can keep them outside of the fridge in an airtight container or ziplock bag
- Fridge – want to eat them in three to four days you can keep them in the fridge in a ziplock bag
- Freezer – want to keep them longer you can easily freeze to use for up to 2 months. To easily separate the tortillas put some parchment paper in between the tortillas
You can also freeze the tortillas uncooked until you want to use them. Freeze the tortillas separated with parchment paper.
See how you can make almond flour keto tortillas
Want to see how you can make this keto flatbread recipe from scratch in your own kitchen? Take a look at the instruction video.
It gives you a step by step instruction so you can follow along. You will be surprised to see how easy it is for you to make this keto tortillas recipe yourself.
I hope you love this low carb flatbread recipe as much as I do. Have fun making low carb flatbreads!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for the best keto tortillas recipe? Try these almond keto tortillas that fit a low carb diet. These low-carb flatbread are pliable and tasty.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 6-10 teaspoons Water
- Add all the dry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine the ingredients
- Turn on the food processor and add the apple cider vinegar. Whisk the egg and add it to the kitchen machine as well
- Add the water. The dough will come together and turn into a sticky ball. Take it out of the kitchen machine and knead the dough by hand and wrap in cling film
- Knead the dough to form a cylinder and put it in the refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. Then cut the dough cylinder into 8 pieces
- Knead each piece into a ball. Take a plastic bag like e.g. a ziplock bag that is cut open at the side, place a dough ball in the plastic
- Put the plastic bag in a tortilla press and press it close. If the tortilla is a bit too thick take a rolling pin and roll out the tortilla a bit more
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Put the tortilla in the skillet and let it cook for about 30 seconds
- Take a look to see if brown patches are visible else leave for another 20-30 seconds. Then turn the tortilla and cook the other side for 30-60 seconds
- Take out of the pan and bake the remaining tortillas
- Ready to serve
You do not need any oil or butter.
Calories: 53; Fat: 3g; Carbs: 4.9g; Protein: 2.3g;