This week I shared my favorite spicy pork recipe. Of course I need to show you the how to make easy Chinese steamed buns recipe because it is an absolute must in this recipe. I am sure that you can buy steamed buns in a good Toko but why not make them yourself. Want to know how to make easy Chinese steamed buns? Lets get started!
If you ever been in a good size Toko you will be blown away with the huge number of products you can get there. I’m not the biggest grocery shopper but grocery shopping in a Toko is something I really enjoy. Walking around all the isles and looking at all of the products trying to discover new ingredients to cook with is something I really enjoy.
What makes this recipe so unique is that this dough is baked in a steamer instead of an oven. With the warm air the dough will rise and get nice and fluffy. To make sure it gets this fluffy you need to knead the dough for at least 8 minutes and get all the gluten going.
You can make it with a mixer but as mine is not strong enough I used my trusted kitchen machine. After all the ingredients have been thoroughly combined I also knead it a couple of minutes by hand before I let it proof for at least an hour and let is double in size.
Then roll the dough and take 3,5 inch circles en press them closed like a taco. You can also put your finished filling in before steaming.
Cover it with plastic foil to let it proof for an additional 30 minutes. Put some parchment paper in the steamer and steam about 5 buns at the time. If you have a bigger steamer you can add more buns. Close the lid and steam the buns for 5 minutes.
It is just like magic when you open the lid and see these Chinese buns that are soft and fluffy and airy. Open the bun and fill with spicy soy pork and decorate with spring onion and chili pepper. You will love it I promise and you can fill it with meat, poultry or vegetable fillings.
How to make easy Chinese steamed buns
Want to know how to make easy Chinese steamed buns? Watch the food inspiration video below:
Have fun with this how to make easy Chinese steamed buns recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
I love comments so let me know your thoughts on this how to recipe.
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links for which I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links at no extra cost to you. All the products listed are products I use myself or are from companies I highly recommend. Thank you for supporting The Tortilla Channel!
Making dough and using a steamer you get amazing Chinese buns. Want to know how you can make easy steamed Chinese buns. Lets get started!
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup (soy) milk (175ml)
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tablespoon vegetable butter, at room temperature
- Vegetable oil for oiling bowl, brushing bun dough
- Warm the vegetable butter and dissolve the yeast into the warm butter and milk.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to taste
- Pour butter and milk mixture into a kitchen machine. Add a couple tbsp. of flour
- Mix and add all of the flour mix. Knead for at least 8 minutes and 2 minutes by hand
- Let the dough proof for at least 60 minutes or until doubled in size
- Roll the dough and cut 3,5 inch circles and fold into tacos. Press the end of the folded taco with a rolling pin
- Proof for another 30 minutes
- Heat water. Put buns in the steamer and steam for 5 minutes
- Ready to fill with spicy soy pork and serve
Calories: 135; Fat: 4.9g; Carbs: 20.3g; Protein: 4.5g;