Believe me, when you taste this Mexican chicken soup you will agree. This is by far the best you ever tried
It is slightly sweet with a great kick and with a lot of protein. You can add your favorite veggies and make it even better. But just make it once and you will make it time and time again. Want to learn how to make Mexican chicken soup? Let’s get started!
This recipe is all about the tomato and the chicken. You can use fire-roasted tomatoes. These tomatoes are sweeter and that is what you need.
When you make this recipe you need to have the perfect shredded chicken. It is really easy to shred a chicken breast.
Put your chicken breast it in a pot of boiling water or chicken broth. It will give your chicken even more flavor.
It is really common to use chicken breast to shred but chicken thighs work just as well. Let it simmer for 20 minutes and take it out.
Shred with two forks and your chicken is done and ready to use. I like to keep some shredded chicken in the freezer.
Just put it in a freezer-safe container or bag and you can keep it in the freezer for months. Just thaw before use.
Mexican chicken tortilla soup ingredients
To make this recipe you need a couple of ingredients. Have the following ingredients ready or put them on your grocery shopping list:
- Tomatoes canned
- Plum cherry tomatoes
- Taco seasoning
- Chicken breast
- Kidney beans
- Olive oil
How to make Mexican chicken soup
Start with finely chopping the onion and finely mince the garlic cloves. Heat a small pot and add the olive oil on medium heat.
Add the onion and stir it round in the pan to let it absorb the oil. Then add the garlic and let the onion and garlic go soft and translucent
Now chop the plum cherry tomatoes into small pieces and add to the pot. Stir for a couple of minutes to let the tomatoes go soft.
Then it is time to add the fire-roasted tomatoes. Use a wooden spoon to break the tomatoes up into smaller pieces.
Increase the heat to medium-hot to let the tomatoes boil. Then add the taco seasoning and stir to evenly distribute the seasoning through the soup.
Then it is time to add the kidney beans, the corn, and the shredded chicken. If you like it spicy you can add some finely chopped jalapeno pepper as well.
Decorate with some finely chopped parsley and your chicken soup is ready to serve.
Serve this Mexcian soup with
If you make this Mexican soup recipe you can serve it with a lot of great side dishes. You can serve it with:
- Easy garlic bread – soft French bread with garlic butter and pesto
- No-knead bread – A crunchy slice of no-knead bread is the best. You can put it under the broiler for 5 minutes and have the perfect toast.
- Cheesy garlic bread – lots of parmesan and mozzarella to turn it into this cheesy garlic bread
- Soft tortilla flatbread – this soft tortilla flatbread is great to eat with this soup
- Pull apart bread – pull-apart bread with lots of cheese another great bread to serve with this soup
- Tortilla chips – yes you can make these yourself with corn tortillas in the oven.
Other soup recipes
If you love soup recipe you can find more here so take a look at these recipes as well:
I hope you love this soup recipe as much as I do. Have fun making this easy Mexican shredded chicken soup!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for the best Mexican chicken soup? Take a look at this easy soup recipe. Filled with shredded chicken, beans and corn.
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 shredded chicken breast
- 10 plum cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons corn
- 3 tablespoons kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Boil the chicken breast in water or chicken broth for 20 minutes on medium heat, shred the chicken and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and finely mince the garlic. Heat a small pot to medium heat and add the olive oil
- Add the onion and stir it round in the pan until soft and translucent. Then add the garlic and stir again.
- Now chop the plum cherry tomatoes into small pieces to add to the pot. Stir the tomatoes to let them go soft
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes. Use a wooden spoon to break the tomatoes up
- Then add the taco seasoning and stir to evenly distribute the seasoning through the soup
- Add the kidney beans, the corn, and the shredded chicken
- Decorate with some finely chopped parsley and your chicken soup is ready to serve
If you like it spicy you can add some finely chopped jalapeno pepper as well.
Calories: 360; Fat: 11g; Carbs: 50g; Protein: 20g;