Mexican fries are the best and super easy to make because they are baked in the oven.
These fries are homemade and crunchy and packed with flavor. Are you ready to learn how you can make these sensational Mexican fries? Let’s get started!
I bought a potato cutter ages ago. A great tool to have to lay around especially if you want to make your own fries.
Take the following steps and you will have oven-baked crispy fries. Because they are baked in the oven sprayed with cooking spray the fries contain fewer calories than fried in oil.
To make oven-baked fries take the following into consideration:
- Use a potato cutter. It will cut your fries evenly. To get crisp fries you need similar-sized fries
- When the potatoes are cut put them in a bowl of cold water. Rinse the fries at least two times. Potatoes have a lot of starch that you want to get rid of. If you have the time leave them in the water for half an hour but at least ten minutes. Take a kitchen towel and pat them dry. Leave them to air dry for another 5 minutes
- Use parchment paper on your baking tray and divide your fries with enough space so they do not stick. Fries can’t get crispy when they stick together
- Use olive oil cooking spray instead of regular olive oil. This will keep it low calorie
- Combine cornstarch and seasoning. Cornstarch helps to crisp up your fries
- Crispy fries need high heat so turn up the heat of your oven
If you follow these guidelines you can’t go wrong with your homemade Mexican fries.
Mexican fries ingredients
To make Mexican fries you need the following ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- Potatoes – you can skin the potatoes or leave the skin on. Clean them in water if you leave the skin on.
- Chili powder seasoning – I choose homemade chili powder but you can add your favorite seasoning
- Corn starch
How to make Mexican fries
To make this Mexican fries recipe start by preheating the oven to 425℉/200℃. You can skin the potatoes or leave the skin on.
When you leave the skin on wash the potatoes first. Either use a fries cutter or cut the potatoes in evenly sized sticks.
The fries cutter is really easy to use and you are certain the fries have the same size. Rinse the potatoes to remove the majority of the starch.
Then let them soak in a bowl of cold water. If you have the time leave the fries in the water for half an hour.
Rinse again and pat them fries dry with a kitchen towel. Leave them to air dry for another 5 minutes.
Put parchment paper on a baking tray and divide the fries. Spray the fries with cooking spray. Turn them and spray some more.
Combine the seasoning and cornstarch in a bowl. Add the seasoning on the fries. Tosh the fries on the tray with your hands and sprinkle some more seasoning.
You can also do this oil and seasoning in a bowl or plastic bag to evenly coat the fries. Put the baking tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Turn the fries and bake for another 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and let them cool slightly.
Sprinkle with salt to taste and some dried parsley. Time to serve.
Customize your Mexican fries
The options are endless to customize your fries. Try these options:
- Smoked paprika powder
- Taco seasoning
- Burrito seasoning
- Fajitas seasoning
- Enchilada seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese
What to serve Mexican fries with
Some yummy ideas to eat these Mexican fries with:
- Mexican burger – hamburger and fries are a classic and these two dishes are no exception
- Chicken quesadillas – crunchy quesadillas and crunchy fries go great together
- Caesar salad – a good salad and fries is a killer combination
- Fish tacos – tacos and fries? Why not these fish tacos can use a great side dish
- Spicy mayo – this recipe from our sister website is a great spicy dip to serve with fries.
Have fun with these Mexican fries!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
To make crispy Mexican fries you got to bake them in the oven. For the best flavor add some great Mexican seasoning. Take a look for all the steps here.
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound potato
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven at 425℉/200℃
- Cut potatoes and wash in cold water for 30 minutes
- Dry the potatoes in a kitchen towel
- Cover the potatoes with cooking spray and sprinkle with seasoning
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the Mexican fries and bake for another 15 minutes
- Let them cool for 2 minutes and sprinkle with salt to taste
Calories: 204; Fat: 1g; Carbs: 45g; Protein: 5g;