Mexican seasoning is the best hand mixed seasoning that you can use in a lot of your Mexican recipes. It is also a real time saver because all you need in your recipes is this seasoning. Want some heat than this is spice mix is all you need. Ready to learn how to make the best hand mixed Mexican spice mix? Lets get started!
You may think that Mexican seasoning is the same as taco seasoning but that is not the case. It is all about the composition of the spices.
Further a couple of key ingredients differ in this recipe. Taco seasoning is usually milder than this recipe that contains a little more heat due to the ancho powder and chipotle chile pepper.
Ancho powder is made from poblano peppers, mild in heat with a bit of smokey flavor. The real heat in this recipe comes from the dried chile flakes.
But what if you do not have ancho powder available? What is your best substitute? The best choice is to use sweet smokey paprika powder instead.
Mexican seasoning requires some form of chiles. Whether it is a hot on like chipotle chiles or milder like the ancho chile. Chiles that you can use in your spice mix are:
- Pasilla powder – stands for little black raisin but when turned into a powder has deep red color. The dried version is called Chilaca chile because it looks like an old and wrinkled. It can be called pungent and tangy but also mild
- Chipotle powder – has a medium to high heat, smokey flavor with some chocolatey under tone. This chipotle powder has more heat than the other chiles
- Ancho powder – mildly hot spice made from poblano peppers
- Mulato – are like ancho powder made from dried poblanos chiles and Capsicum annum plant
- Guajillo powder – mildly hot with a bright red color and also with a smokey taste
Mexican seasoning ingredients
To make this Mexican seasoning recipe you need a number of great spice. Put the following ingredients on your list:
- Homemade chili powder
- Ancho powder or sweet smokey paprika powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried chipotle chile pepper
- Dried oregano leaves
- Coriander (optional)
How to make Mexican seasoning
This recipe contains a lot of spices so it is necessary to measure every single one correctly. When you compare this recipe to e.g. taco seasoning spice mix you will see that this recipe contains less cumin.
Cumin can be an overpowering spice and as this is an all round spice mix you want all the ingredients to complement each other instead of overpowering the flavor.
Measure the spices and put it in a big mixing bowl. Be sure to stir the spices for at least a minute to make sure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed in your Mexican seasoning.
You can test the flavor of your spice blend and adjust to your tast. Is the seasoning to hot reduce the chipotle powder. Want more smokey flavor add more ancho or sweet smokey paprika powder.
When using it in your recipe start with a small amount and add more until you have the right combination. I use about 1 tablespoon in my recipes but if you are not certain how much heat you can take start with half a tablespoon.
Use Mexican spice mix in
You can use this Mexican spice seasoning this recipe in a lot of recipes:
Other seasoning spice blends
We have a lot of delicious spice blends so take a look at the seasoning recipes below:
I hope you love this Mexican spice blend as much as I do. Have fun hand blending this Mexican seasoning! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel and PIN on Pinterest.
Looking for a great spice blend that you can use with tacos, enchiladas, burritos or fajitas? Try this Mexican seasoning it also great on regular recipes.
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup ancho powder or sweet smokey paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground dried chipotle chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander (optional)
- Measure all the ingredients and put it in a large mixing bowl
- Stir the spices for at least a minute or put it in a blender and pulse 3 to 4 times
- Store in a glas jar or resealable bag
Calories: 31; Fat: 1.5g; Carbs: 5.5g; Protein: 1.3g