Looking for a different type of sandwich then try these Mexican tortas you will love it!
Amongst other things, a torta is a cake, a flatbread, pastry or bread. In this recipe, the torta is a chicken sandwich. Are you ready to learn how to make Mexican tortas? Let’s get started!
Tortas are popular throughout Mexico and are made with a bolillo bread roll or a pan Frances. A torta is also called a lonche and a great lunch recipe.
This lunch recipe is a must make no exaggeration there. This will be a family favorite I can promise you because who doesn’t love a loaded sandwich.
You can eat them hot or cold furthermore this sandwich looks very similar to a torta Cubano which is toasted in a pressed grill.
Today we are making a torta de Milanese with is a bolillo with breaded chicken. Have no fear because it is really easy to make the best chicken schnitzel.
Different kinds of tortas
Tortas come in many different shapes and sizes and there are easily a million torta versions. As you can see below fill it with your favorite toppings.
Here you find some examples of different types of tortas:
- Torta de jamón – this is a sandwich filled with ham
- Torta de huevo – a sandwich filled with scrambled eggs
- Tortope – shredded chicken on a thick sope tortilla
- Easy torta de aguacate – bolillos filled with avocado or guacamole
- Torta Cubana – filled with meat and lots of ham and cheese
- Torta de ahogada – fried chicken or pork drowned in red sauce on a french roll
Mexican torta ingredients
You need quite an extensive list of ingredients to make this Mexican tortas. Put the following items on your grocery shopping list:
- Homemade Mexican bolillos
- Chicken breast
- Refried beans
- Shredded cheese
How to make torta Mexicana
To make this sandwich you start with the chicken breast. Cut it in half and put it in on a cutting board. Put foil on top of the chicken and thin them with a rolling pin.
Gently pound the chicken breast flat. Then whisk the egg in a big bowl and let the halved chicken breasts soak in the beaten egg for half a minute.
Put the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and coat the chicken on both sides. So make sure the chicken breast is completely coated.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet to medium-hot and add the oil. When hot cook each chicken schnitzel golden brown in a couple of minutes on both sides.
Take out of the pan and set aside.
Cut the bolillos lengthwise and then spread mayonnaise one side. The second step is to add a tablespoon refried beans on top of the mayonnaise.
Then add the crispy chicken schnitzel on the refried beans. Now Sprinkle the Milanesa with:
- Shredded cheese
- Pickled jalapeños
- A big dollop of guacamole.
Put the top of the bolillo on the guacamole and you are ready to serve your Mexican tortas.
What do you serve with tortas?
You can eat these sandwich rolls all on its own or you can serve them with:
Other tasty sandwich recipes
If you love a good sandwich you definitely have to take a look at these delicious recipes:
I hope you like this torta Milanese recipe as much as I do and give it a try. You will love it!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a delicious torta sandwich? Try these Mexican tortas or torta Milanesa as this sandwich is made with a chicken schnitzel and lots more.
- 2 Mexican bolillos
- 1 chicken breast halved
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons refried beans
- 3 tablespoons guacamole
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Cut the chicken breast in half and thin with a rolling pin
- Whisk the egg in a big bowl and soak the halved chicken breasts in the beaten egg. Put breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and coat the chicken on both sides
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet and add the oil. When hot cook the chicken schnitzel in a couple of minutes on both sides. Take out of the pan and set aside
- Cut the bolillos lengthwise and spread mayonnaise one side. Add a tablespoon refried beans
- Then add the crispy chicken schnitzel and sprinkle with shredded cheese, pickled jalapeños and a big dollop of guacamole
- Put the top of the bolillo on the guacamole and you are ready to serve your torta Mexicana
Calories: 614; Fat: 27g; Carbs: 52g; Protein: 39g;