Moroccan flatbread with spices are a great alternative for easy flatbread or tortilla. This recipe shows you all the great things you can do with your spices kabinet. Ready to learn how to make Moroccan flatbread with spices? Lets get started!
In my quest to find all the different flatbread and tortilla recipes around the world I came across this great Moroccan flatbread recipe. There are a number of Moroccan flatbread variation so be prepared to find more Moroccan flatbread recipes in the future on the Tortilla Channel.
What I find so amazing is that the further I get into my food journey the more tortilla style recipes I find. I started out thinking that a couple of countries would have a tortilla or flatbread recipe. My second thought was it would be mostly South American countries but nothing is farther from the truth.
Flatbreads are all around from Europe to Asia and South America to Africa. So today it is all about Moroccan flatbread that distinct itself from other flatbread with the addition of spices.
As will almost all flatbread recipes this one is vegan as well, super easy to make and a great side to your main dishes or as a lunch bread.
Moroccan flatbread ingredients
To make this Moroccan flatbread make sure you have the following ingredients on hand:
- Wheat flour
- Cumin powder
- Cilantro powder
How to make Moroccan flatbread with spices
I make this flatbread with my kitchen machine as this is the easiest way to get a consistent dough. Put the flour in the kitchen machine. Add the cumin, cilantro, cinnamon and salt. Whisk the flour a couple of times to make sure all the spices are evenly combined with the flour.
Now add the water slowly to the flour until it forms a ball. Take the dough ball out of your kitchen machine and put it on a dusted wooden board. Knead the dough about half a minute by hand and wrap it in cling foil. Set aside for at least 30 minutes so the dough can rest.
Then take the dough out of the foil and cut into 6 if you want large flatbreads or 8 if you want small flatbread tortillas.
Roll the dough balls into a tortilla shape and heat a skillet until hot. You do not need any oil for this recipe just put the tortilla in the skillet and let it bake for about a minute. The flatbread will puff up which is normal. Turn and let the other side bake for about a minute as well.
Keep warm on a plate covered by a kitchen towel. Serve immediately.
How to store Moroccan flatbread with spices
You can easy keep Moroccan flatbread. You have a number of options:
- Store in a zip loc bag on your counter for a day or two.
- Store in the fridge for two to three days
- My preferred way of storing flatbread is to put it in the freezer in a zip loc bag. Thaw when you want to use it.
You can heat the flatbread in a skillet for half a minute per side or warm in the oven wrapped in aluminium foil. Heat them in a pre heated oven at 400℉ for about 5-7 minutes. Wrap them in aluminum foil to prevent the flatbreads from drying out in the oven.
Eat Moroccan flatbread with
You can eat this flatbread with:
- Pulled chicken bean stew – this flatbread is great with a bean stew
- Vegan lentil mushroom curry – a great vegan curry stew
See how to make Moroccan flatbread with spices
Want to see how you can make Moroccan flatbread with spices? Watch the video instruction below:
Have fun with this Moroccan flatbread with spices recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
Moroccan flatbread with spices is easy to make and has great flavor. It shows what you can do with your spices kabinet. Lets get started!
- 1¾ cups / 200g plain flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Put the flour in the kitchen machine. Add the cumin, cilantro, cinnamon and salt. Whisk the flour
- Now add the water slowly to the flour until it forms a ball
- Take the dough ball out of your kitchen machine and put it on a dusted wooden board and knead the dough about half a minute by hand
- Wrap dough in cling foil and let it rest for 30 minutes
- Cut dough into 6 if you want large flatbreads or 8 if you want small flatbread tortillas
- Heat a cast iron skillet
- Roll the dough balls into a tortilla shape and put the tortilla in the skillet and let it bake for about a minute (no baking product required)
- Turn and let the other side bake for about a minute as well
- Keep warm on a plate covered by a kitchen towel. Serve immediately
Calories: 186; Fat: 0.6g; Carbs: 39g; Protein: 5.3g;