This easy no-knead bread recipe is the answer for everyone who loves freshly baked bread, with lots of air pockets and a crunchy crust.
All you need is a little patience for the best result. The smell of freshly baked bread is amazing and I’m certain you will love this recipe. You can easily make different variants of this bread as well. It is always time for fresh bread so are you ready for this easy no knead bread recipe? Let’s get started!
Don’t you just love walking into a bakery? I could be in there all day long. The smell of freshly baked bread has something comforting.
Freshly baked bread doesn’t need much, some butter or old cheese would do just fine. But are you put off by all the work that goes into baked bread?
First the kneading of the dough then it has to rise and you have to knead the dough some more before it can actually go into the oven?
Well, not this easy bread recipe. This is literally the easiest bread recipe ever. I showed you before how you can make no knead pizza.
This time I am showing you how to make this easy no knead bread. Made famous by Jim Lahey, I have made this easy no knead bread recipe many times.
No-knead bread ingredients
This bread requires a limited number of ingredients. You probably have the ingredients in your cupboard as we speak. This recipe needs:
- 3 cups of flour
- ¼ tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup of warm water
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds
How to make this no-knead bread recipe
You start by combining the flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Make sure the ingredients are well combined before you add the warm water.
The water needs to be really warm water to properly activate the yeast. Now put your hand in and swirl the flour mix and water.
As soon as it comes together and the flour is absorbed by the water you are done. Like in, your work is done.
Okay, cover the bowl with some cling film. I cover the bowl with a tea towel as well and then set it aside for the next 20 t0 24 hours (usually overnight). Leave it and forget about.
The next day preheat your Dutch oven in a 500℉-550℉/250℃ oven (set the oven as high as it can go, see note in the recipe. Put the Dutch oven in the oven as you heat the oven.
Then take the dough out of the bowl on a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough top to bottom and left to right into a ball. Put it on some sesame seeds or flax seeds where the fold is.
Take the Dutch oven out of the oven and put the dough in fold side up. Put the lid on and back into the oven for 30 minutes.
After the 30 minutes, take the lid off and bake for another 15 minutes so you get a nice golden crust. Let it cool and ready is your bread.
Tips and warning!
- Warning – When you remove the lid from the Dutch oven check the bread after 5-7 minutes to see the crust is not baking to fast or even burning. Every oven is different and can color the crust really fast.
- Oven – you can put the covered bowl in the oven to proof the dough as it is draft free. Do not heat your oven just put the bowl in the oven close the door and let it proof.
- Use the dough – I let it proof overnight and let it sit for 20 hours or more. If you want you can use the dough earlier like between 4-6 hours. Just check to see if the dough has at least doubled in size.
Easy no knead bread recipe option
- Whole wheat flour – substitute the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour. This bread will be a little tougher than when you make it with all-purpose or bread flour and it will not be as fluffy and have fewer air pockets
- Mediterranean bread – add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes and diced black olives to the dough. Put this in when you fold the dough before it goes into the oven. You will get a nice Mediterranean bread
- Nuts and seeds- add some chopped nuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds when you make the dough and sprinkle them on top for some added flavor
- Cinnamon and raisins – make a sweet bread by adding some cinnamon, raisins, and currants when you combine the water and flour mix
- Cheese – combine a cup of mozzarella cheese when most of the dough is combined. Put some cheese on top for the final 15 minutes
- Garlic and herbs – put some fresh parsley, rosemary, base; and chopped garlic to your dough
Store no knead bread
Put the bread in a plastic airtight bag will keep it fresh for a day or two. Slice the bread and store it in the freezer where you can keep it fresh for a least a month.
When the bread has gone stale sprinkle with water and put it in the oven or toast it in the toaster or skillet.
Recipes you can make with no knead bread
You can make various tasty recipes with no knead bread like:
- Oven roasted tomato bruschetta – this might be one of the easiest appetizers around, all you need besides this bread are some tasty tomatoes.
- Grilled cheese bacon sandwich – you can make a great lunch dish with cheese, bacon, sundried tomato and avocado.
- Authentic simple pan con tomate – a delicious breakfast or mid-morning snack that is popular through the whole of Spain.
See how to make this no knead bread recipe
Want to see how you can make this easy no-knead bread recipe? Watch the video instruction below to follow along:
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Have fun making this easy no-knead bread recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN it to Pinterest.
This easy no knead bread recipe is the answer for everyone who loves fresh baked bread, with lots of air pockets and a crunchy crust. It is always time for fresh bread.
- 3 cups of flour
- ¼ tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup warm water
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds
- Combining the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add warmwater to activate the yeast.
- Now put you hand in and swirl the flour mix and water. As soon as it comes together and the flour is absorbed by the water you are done
- Cover the bowl with some cling film. Let it rise in a warm place for the next 20 to 24 hours
- Pre heat your Dutch oven in a 500℉-550℉(see note)/250℃ oven
- Take the dough out of the bowl on a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough top to bottom and left to right into a ball. Put it on some sesame seeds of flax seeds where the fold is
- Take the Dutch oven out of the oven and put the dough in the pan, fold side up
- Put the lid on and back into the oven for 30 minutes
- Take the lid of and bake for another 15 minutes so you get a nice golden crust
- Let it cool and ready is your bread
The prep time is without the proofing time of 20-24 hours. Some ovens are restricted to 500℉ pre heat as high as it can go. If that is 550℉ pre heat at 550℉ else on 500℉.
Calories: 140; Fat: 0.7g; Carbs: 28.8g; Protein: 4g;