Oven baked chicken breast pesto that will make you happy. Yes this recipe will make you dance and sing it is that good. It is made with homemade pesto and done in no time. Are you ready to learn how you can make oven baked chicken breast pesto? Lets get started!
The beauty of chicken recipes is that in general they are easily prepared and fast. I love fast recipes and this recipe is one of them cooking chicken in the oven. Do you remember the classic basil pesto recipe I shared the other day? Well it is one of the ingredients in this recipe as well.
It will give your oven baked chicken breast lots of flavor and prevents it from going dry. Because that is something to always look out for when you cook chicken in the oven. You do not want dry chewy chicken which happens if you bake at high heat and no baking product.
In this recipe I add two secrets ingredients to prevent dry chicken.
- The first secret ingredient is olive oil. Coating your chicken with some oil prevents it from going dry. I have made oven chicken breast without olive oil and chances are the meat will turn dry from the heat.
- The second secret ingredient is a little bit of brown sugar. It gives the chicken breast a nice color as it caramelizes in the oven and it also adds a subtle sweetness to the homemade chili powder. No worries you will not have some sweet chicken as a result, it is a subtle addition.
As your oven will do the hard work you have time for other things while your chicken cooks in the oven. This recipe is gluten-free and also keto/low carb friendly.
Oven baken chicken ingredients
To make this juicy oven baked chicken breast you need but a handful of ingredients on your grocery list:
How to make oven baked chicken breast
Start this recipe by preheating the oven to 425℉/220℃. To make sure the chicken breast is done within 20 minutes I cut the chicken breast in half. Cover is with cling film and pound it with a rolling pin to make it flat.
Put the chicken on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Drizzle olive oil on the chicken breast and cover the chicken breast with oil using your fingers to rub it in. Then take half a tablespoon of pesto and cover the chicken with pesto either with a brush, your fingers or spoon.
Combine the chili powder with a pinch of brown sugar and stir it through well to make sure the chili powder absorbs the sugar. Then sprinkle the chili powder on the chicken breast. Flip the chicken breast and repeat the steps so olive oil, pesto and seasoning.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and divide them on the baking tray. You can put a pinch of salt on the tomatoes if you like. Now bake the chicken for 20 minutes or until golden brown. When done remove the baking tray from oven and immediately transfer the oven baked chicken breast and tomatoes on warm serving plates.
Eat oven baked chicken with
You can eat this chicken with a host of different side dishes, e.g.:
- Mexican potatoes – crispy crunch spicy potatoes. You can’t go wrong with this side dish
- Easy Mexican rice – red hot Tex-Mex rice is an one pan recipe that fits perfectly with this chicken recipe
- Keto fried rice – want to eat low carb then prepare this cauliflower low carb fried rice. You will love it
- Naan bread – chicken and naan bread is a great combination. Make this easy naan bread when the chicken breast is in the oven and you are good to go
- Basmati rice – basmati rice is one of my favorite’s. With its lovely fragrance that is a great combination with the chicken
Readers also love these chicken recipes
Readers of the Tortilla Channel love chicken recipes, as you can see by all of the chicken recipes they enjoy reading:
- Honey and garlic chicken
- My fathers rustic chicken roti
- Oven baked chicken quesadillas
- Perfect pulled chicken fajitas
- Simple shredded chicken enchilada
Have fun with this oven baked chicken breast recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
This oven baked chicken breast with pesto is super easy and results in soft juicy chicken every time. Done in less than 20 minutes.
- 1 chicken breast
- 7 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp homemade pesto
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425℉/220℃
- Cut the chicken in half and pound chicken with a rolling pin to make sure you get tender chicken
- Put the chicken on a baking tray covered with baking paper
- Drizzle olive on the chicken and rub it in with your fingers
- Take ½ tbsp pesto and cover chick breast
- Combine the chili powder with a pinch of brown sugar
- Sprinkle the chili powder on the chicken breast
- Flip the chicken breast and repeat
- Half the cherry tomatoes and put on the baking tray. Add a pinch of salt on tomatoes if desired
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer chicken to serving plates
Calories: 246; Fat: 14g; Carbs; 5g; Protein: 24g;