This oven baked chicken shawarma is so easy you need to give it a try. Made with the best shawarma seasoning and with a secret ingredient to make the chicken soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Want to learn how you can make this oven baked chicken shawarma? Lets get started!
Just the other day I showed you how to make homemade shawarma seasoning so off course we need to put this seasoning to good use. Well today that is with the easiest chicken shawarma recipe you can find.
Off course it tastes different than when you bake it stacked on a vertical rotisserie but this is as close as it gets. For this oven baked chicken shawarma recipe you can use either chicken breast or chicken thighs.
Besides the shawarma seasoning you only need only four ingredients. I make this chicken shawarma in a cast iron skillet as the chicken has to be nice and hot.
You can put it in a regular oven dish but if you have a cast iron skillet use it because it will make this shawarma even better.
If you eat this recipe without pita bread or rice this shawarma recipe is low carbs.
Chicken shawarma ingredients
What do you need to make this chicken shawarma recipe? Get the following ingredients on your shopping list:
- Chicken breast
- Shawarma seasoning
- Olive oil
To decorate your shawarma you can add ingredients like:
- White onion
- Red onion
- Garlic sauce
How to make oven baked chicken shawarma
This is such an easy recipe because the main steps are marinade and then bake. You first start with putting together the marinade.
Put one and half tablespoon of shawarma seasoning in a bowl and add minced garlic. Then add the yogurt and stir until you get a yogurt marinade. Now add two tablespoons of olive oil and work it in the marinade.
Yogurt is a truly a secret ingredient in this recipe. It makes the chicken soft and tender and also takes care of the charring.
Then add the chicken to the bowl and cover the chicken with marinade. Now start to pre heat the oven to 450℉/225℃ and in the meanwhile you let the chicken marinade.
Put the cast iron skillet in the oven and bake the shawarma for 30-35 minutes or until the outside is lightly charred.
Turn the chicken half way through the cooking time. Take the chicken out of the oven and slice it in ultra chicken slices. Put the chicken back in the skillet and add the thinly sliced white and red onion on the slices of chicken. Stir it through. Plate it up.
Serve oven baked chicken shawarma with
You can serve this shawarma with a number of side dishes like:
- Homemade pita bread – pita bread is originally served with shawarma. Wrap them in aluminium foil and at the last 10 minutes of the oven time put them in
- Soft vegan tortillas – wrap your shawarma in a soft tortilla. Warm them the same way as the pita bread so in aluminium foil and in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Mexican rice – Mexican rice is a great side dish for this recipe
See how to maken chicken shawarma
Want to see how you can make chicken shawarma? Watch the video instruction below:
Have fun with this easy chicken shawarma recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
The best chicken shawarma made with homemade shawarma seasoning and a secret ingredient to give you soft, tender chicken. Served with pita bread.
- 300 gram chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1½ tablespoon shawarma seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 4 pita bread
- Put shawarma seasoning in a bowl and add minced garlic. Then add the yogurt and stir until you get a yogurt marinade
- Add the chicken to the bowl and cover the chicken with marinade
- Now start to pre heat the oven to 450℉/225℃ while you marinade the chicken
- Put the cast iron skillet in the oven and bake the shawarma for 30-35 minutes or until the outside is lightly charred
- Turn the chicken half way through the cooking time
- Take the chicken out of the oven and slice it in ultra chicken slices. Serve with pita bread
Calories: 178; Fat: 9g; Carbs: 5g; Protein: 16.4g; (without pita bread) Calories: 343; Fat: 9.7g; Carbs: 38.5g; Protein: 21.9g; (with pita bread)