Peri-Peri chicken is the best Portuguese chicken recipe!
Everywhere you go in the Algarve you can find this Portuguese dish and when you try it you understand why. Soft chicken with fiery hot crispy skin. So are you ready to learn how to make Peri Peri chicken? Let’s get started!
We are making the chicken in the Crockpot to get that extra soft chicken.
Of course, you can put the chicken in a pressure cooker, on a spit in the oven or roast it in a Dutch oven but the Crockpot is the best.
This recipe, needs fall off the bone chicken and that is what you get when slow cook the chicken. It also needs a great seasoning and hot sauce.
This is a really simple recipe to make as the Crockpot does all the heavy lifting. In the meanwhile, you can do other things, go to work and relax.
Peri-Peri chicken ingredients
To make this chicken recipe you need a number of ingredients. Put the following on your grocery shopping list:
How to make Peri-Peri chicken
When you start with this recipe wash the chicken with cold water and pat the skin dry with a paper towel.
Next, rub the skin with lemon juice to eliminate the odor of the chicken further it will help crisp up the skin later on.
Spray the chicken with cooking spray before you rub the Piri-Piri seasoning on the chicken. The easiest way is to use your fingers to rub the seasoning on.
Now prepare the Crockpot with two tablespoons of water before you put the rack in the Crockpot.
Instead of water, you can also use chicken broth. Put the chicken on the rack.
Close the lid of the Crockpot and turn it to slow cooker you can use High or low:
- Slow cook on High for 3 to 4 hours
- Slow cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours
Check the chicken after 3 hours to see if the chicken is done.
Take the chicken out of the Crockpot and put it on a baking tray. Baste the chicken with the Peri-Peri sauce and brush it on so you cover the whole chicken.
Turn on the broiler. Put the chicken under the broiler for 5-10 minutes to crisp up the skin.
Your chicken Peri-Peri is ready to serve.
Can you make Peri-Peri chicken ahead of time?
This Peri-Peri chicken is a great make-ahead or meal prep dish. Make it on the weekend, cut the chicken up in portions and freeze it.
You can also make it ahead, keep it in the fridge and eat it the next day. Preserve the juices in the Crockpot and either warm your chicken in the oven or let it simmer in a Dutch oven.
If you want crispy skin finish the chicken under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
What do you serve chicken Peri Peri with?
This chicken recipe is enough to eat on its own but you can serve it with lots of great side dishes:
See how to make chicken Peri Peri
Want to see how to make Piri Piri chicken in the slow cooker? Take a look at the recipe video with step by step instructions.
You can easily follow along and make this recipe at home.
Have fun making this chicken Piri Piri recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a spicy chicken recipe? Try this Portuguese Peri Peri chicken made in the Crockpot and broiler. Spiced up with Peri Peri sauce.
- 1 small chicken
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Piri-Piri seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons Peri-Peri sauce
- Cooking spray
- Wash the chicken with cold water and pat the skin dry with a paper towel
- Rub the chicken skin with lemon juice
- Spray the chicken with cooking spray before you rub the Piri-Piri seasoning on the chicken
- Add two tablespoons of water before you put the rack in the Crockpot
- Put the chicken on the rack. Close the lid of the Crockpot and turn it to slow cooker High for 3 to 4 hours or Low for 6 to 7 hours
- Check the chicken after 3 hours to see if the chicken is done
- Take the chicken out of the Crockpot and put it on a baking tray. Baste the chicken with the Peri-Peri sauce and brush it on so you cover the whole chicken
- Turn on the broiler. Put the chicken under the broiler for 5-10 minutes to crisp up the skin
- Ready to serve
Instead of water, you can also use chicken broth
Calories: 326; Fat: 22g; Carbs: 0.9g; Protein: 19g;