Hot and tasty Peri-Peri sauce is the best sauce for chicken Peri-Peri
The famous Portugues chicken dish that you have to eat when you are in the Algarve. This recipe is super easy to make. Fire up your blender and done in no time flat. So are you ready to learn how to make Peri-Peri sauce? Let’s get started!
When you visit the Algarve chicken Peri-Peri or chicken Piri-Piri is a must-eat dish. This sauce recipe is one of the main ingredients in this recipe.
However, you do not have to travel all the way to the Algarve to make this sauce. It is super easy to make. All you need is a blender or kitchen machine.
Do not taste test the sauce on its own only if you can handle high heat sauces. Be moderate when using the sauce in recipes you can always add more if needed.
Is Peri-Peri sauce hot?
So in case you are wondering if Peri-Peri sauce is hot, the answer is yes. You can compare the level of heat with Sriracha.
Sriracha is also hot but contains more garlic and has vinegar which is not in Peri-Peri sauce. This Piri Piri sauce is both hot and aromatic caused by the herbs used in this recipe.
Peri-Peri sauce ingredients
So what is Peri-Peri sauce made of? When making this recipe put the following ingredients on your grocery shopping list:
- Red chilies
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Dried cilantro
- Dried basil
- Smoked paprika
How to make Peri-Peri sauce
To make this recipe wash the chilies and remove the stalk. Cut each chile into three pieces and add to the blender.
Be careful with the seeds of the chilies and do not rub your eyes when you cut them because your eyes will burn!
Measure and add the remaining ingredients to a food processor or blender. Run the blender to form a smooth sauce.
If you like a rustic sauce pulls a couple of times else blend until smooth. Your sauce is ready to use.
Store Piri Piri sauce
Spoon the sauce into a glass jar and store in the fridge. You can keep the sauce for at least a couple of weeks in the fridge.
You can also store the sauce in the freezer. The sauce may be a little runnier after thawed.
Use this Peri sauce with
As you have seen this sauce goes together great with chicken. When you use this sauce you can use it as a marinade or brush it on while baking. Use with:
- Chicken breast – grill the chicken breast in the oven, grill pan or barbecue. Brush the sauce on the filets and turn regularly
- Wings – marinate your chicken wings with this Piri Piri sauce and bake in the oven
- Chicken thighs – bake the chicken thighs in a Dutch oven and add the sauce and water. Let is simmer in the oven
- Whole chicken – make slow cooker chicken and brush the sauce on the chicken before you broil it under the grill
- Shrimp – follow the Spanish garlic shrimp recipe and add 1/2 tablespoon while the shrimp are in the skillet
- Shrimp skewers – make shrimp skewers and brush with sauce grill on the grill
Have fun with making this Peri-Peri sauce recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a great hot sauce? Try this Peri-Peri sauce which is great to use to make Chicken Peri-Peri the nationa Portuguese chicken dish. Easy to make!
- 100-gram red chilies chopped (note 1)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika you can sub with chili powders
- Salt to taste
- Wash the chilies and cut each chile into three pieces and add to the blender
- Measure and add the remaining ingredients to a food processor or blender. Run the blender to form a smooth sauce
- If you like a rustic sauce pulls a couple of times else blend until smooth
- Your sauce is ready to use
Note 1 - African Bird’s Eye peppers traditionally used in peri peri sauce., but you can sub with red peppers available to you
Calories: 191; Fat: 14g; Carbs: 18g; Protein: 3g;