Pico de gallo is one great dip or salsa. This salsa fresca is great with nacho chips, a delicious topping on your tacos, a super tasty side dish or to spice up your salad. Basically you can make any recipe better with pico de gallo. It stays fresh for about a week so use it on any of your dishes.
This recipe only requires a handful of ingredients, it is vegan and gluten free. It also fits perfectly in a Keto or low carb diet. You will be amazed at how good this dish tastes. So are you ready to learn how you can make pico de gallo at home? Lets get started!
Pico de gallo is a Mexican salsa like dip which is also called salsa fresca, salsa cruda and salsa Mexicana as the color of this recipe represent the flag of Mexico.
This dip is similar to salsa but a salsa is more liquid and consistent in texture. In case you are wondering what the difference is between salsa and this salsa fresca. Pico de gallo is more chunky as it is made with chopped raw tomatoes.
Salsa is usually cooked and made with ingredients like roasted tomatoes and blended to get that creamy consistency.
The onion adds a little sharpness to pico de gallo and adds lots of flavor. It is packed with antioxidants which basically means it is really good for.
It is not a very spice recipe but you can add some peppers to it and heat it up. You can easily make this salsa fresca in advance. The flavors only get better if you keep is longer.
Pico de gallo ingredients
If you want to make this salsa Mexicana recipe you only need a handful of ingredients. Make sure you have the following ingredients at hand:
- Roma tomatoes
- White onion
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Jalapeno Peppers
How to make pico de gallo
This pico de gallo recipe is really easy. To make it start with cutting the roma tomatoes in four and deseeding the tomatoes. Use really ripe tomatoes as this add s Now cut the tomatoes in really small chunks.
Then take the onion and garlic also chop it really finely. The fresh cilantro is next and you can chop it fine as well. You have to be able to see the cilantro.
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir it through thoroughly. Finely add the lime juice and some fresh ground salt. You do not need a lot of salt just a pinch for that extra kick.
Serve pico de gallo with
If you are wondering what you can eat with this salsa here are some suggestions:
- Homemade tortilla chips – make your favorite tortilla chips and scoop up this pico de gallo
- Vegetable stir fry tacos – serve peco de gallo with these delicious vegan vegetable stir fry tacos
- Ground turkey tacos – add it to your perfectly cooked ground turkey when you assemble the taco
- Summer salad – sprinkle some pico de gallo on this salad and you are good to go
- Vegetarian wrap – make your favorite vegetarian wrap and add a couple of tablespoons of this salsa Mexicana on it
Store pico de gallo
The best way to preserve this salsa fresca is:
- To store it in an air tight container and put it in the fridge. You can keep it for up to a week.
- You can store it in the freezer for up to 3 month but be sure to drain any excess liquid from you pico de gallo
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Have fun making this easy pico de gallo recipe! Made a recipe please tag @thetortillachannel on INSTAGRAM, PIN on PINTEREST and like us on FACEBOOK for more information and update.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for an easy pico de gallo recipe? This salsa Mexicana is easy, simple and fast. Super tasty with just a handful of ingredients. Take a look.
- 5 small roma tomatoes
- ½ small white onion
- ½ small red onion
- ¼ jalapeño
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Cut the tomatoes in 4 and deseed the tomatoes
- Finely chop the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic
- Put in a small mixing bowl and stir to combine
- Add the lime juice and a pinch of salt. Stir again and serve
Calories: 17; Fats: 0.1g; Carbs: 3.5g; Protein: 1g;