How to make pizza dough at home is so easy. Today I will show you how. It is super easy to make and so tasty!
You can make it ahead of time, refrigerate and use when needed. Never eat another cardboard pizza again. You will love this pizza base I promise. Ready to learn how to make pizza dough at home? Let’s get started!
If you ever made your own pizza you will wonder why you ever buy these cardboard pizzas from the freezer or order take out pizza.
Believe me, there is no reason. You will get the best crunchy crusted pizza you ever tasted and you do not have to wait forever.
If you have time you can make this pan pizza but for every other day, you are craving pizza or a delicious Tarte flambee you can use this pizza dough base.
You can knead the dough by hand but it will be so much faster when you use a kitchen machine. It can turn it into an elastic dough in no time.
Pizza dough ingredients
You can’t find an easier recipe than for this pizza base. Most of these ingredients are in your kitchen pantry.
All you need for this recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Instant yeast
How to make pizza dough
To make this recipe you first need to activate the yeast. Take a bowl with warm water and add the yeast and sugar so it can feed the yeast.
Put the bowl aside and let it stand for about 5 minutes. You will see foam appear on top. If it doesn’t froth you know the yeast is not active anymore.
This is a good test to see if your dough is going to rise. So always perform this step first before adding it to the flour.
Take a food processor or kitchen machine and the plastic blade. Add the flour and salt and pulse a couple of times to combine.
Run the machine and add the yeast mixture. It will go from a crumbly dough into an elastic dough in a matter of a minute.
Take the dough out of the machine and knead for a few minutes by hand on a floured surface. Shape into a ball.
Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with a clean cloth. Let the dough rise 30 minutes in a warm and draft-free area.
Put the bowl in your closed unheated oven. No draft and usually warm enough to let it rise.
Your pizza dough is ready to use. This recipe will make an 8-inch thick-crusted pizza or a 9-inch thin-crust pizza.
Is this pizza dough vegan?
This recipe is indeed the easiest ever. If you are wondering if this pizza dough recipe is vegan? The answer is yes it is.
Pizza dough is by nature a vegan recipe. You do not need any dairy or eggs to make this dough recipe. Milk may add flavor and elasticity but not needed for a pizza base.
Which flour is best for pizza dough?
So what are the best types of flour that you can use for your pizza dough? There are in fact two types that are most popular to use:
- All-purpose flour – if you want a thin-crusted pizza you can best use all-purpose flour. It has less gluten than regular wheat or bread flour.
It will not rise and puff up but stay rather flat and get very crisp.
- Bread flour – contains more hard and high-protein wheat. It has way more gluten than all-purpose flour and it will rise and stretch more than a thin-crusted pizza.
So if you love a thick puffy pizza crust choose bread flour for your dough.
How to get a crispy pizza crust?
To get a crispy pizza crust you need heat from underneath the pizza. In a traditional pizza oven the base is heated to 550℉/275℃ or higher.
A pizza is done in less than a minute. In a regular oven, this is usually not possible as the temperature does go that high.
To create that pizza oven effect you can use a pizza stone that you heat up while the oven is heating. If you do not own a pizza you can use:
- A cast-iron skillet – heat up for at least 10-15 in your hot oven. Take the skillet out the oven and put your pizza in. Return into the oven and bake for only a couple of minutes
- Baking sheet or baking tray – the trick again is to heat it while your oven is heating up so when the dough hits the sheet it gets cooked instantly.
Store pizza dough
It is always best to use pizza dough immediately. However, you can easily refrigerate the dough as long as you use it within 48 hours.
You can easily double this recipe and store the remaining dough in an airtight bag and freeze up to 2-3 months.
Delicious pizza recipes
Want to make a pizza take a look at these pizza recipes and use this recipe as a base:
- Easy pan pizza – this recipe takes longer to make. Just substitute the recipe with this dough and you have a tasty pizza
- Vegan pizza – replace the tortillas and use this delicious dough
- Flammkuchen – not an ordinary pizza but also very tasty. It is thin-crusted and full of flavor with lots of cheese!
I hope you will love this super easy homemade pizza dough recipe as much as I do!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Want to learn how to make pizza dough at home? Take a look at this easy homemade pizza dough recipe. It is vegan dough and ready in 40 minutes. Super easy!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Take a bowl with warm water and add the yeast and sugar so it can feed the yeast. Put the bowl aside and let it stand for about 5 minutes
- Take a food processor or kitchen machine and the plastic blade. Add the flour and salt and pulse a couple of times to combine
- Run the machine and add the yeast mixture for about a minute. Take the dough out of the machine and knead for a few minutes by hand on a floured surface. Shape into a ball
- Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with a clean cloth. Let the dough rise 30 minutes in a warm and draft-free area
Put the dough in your oven because it is warm and draft-free
Calories: 291; Fat: 1g; Carbs: 61g; Protein: 8.5g;