Making the best pita bread at home is easier than you might think. Try this recipe and you will not buy in the store again.
This homemade pita bread is fluffy and soft with pockets just waiting to be filled with delicious veggies, meat, and sauce. Ready to learn how you can make the best pita bread recipe at home? Let’s get started!
Pita bread is the best and such a versatile type of bread. You can eat it with:
- Shawarma – this chicken shawarma is the perfect ingredient for dinner
- Gyros – in Greece, you have to have gyros and pita a killer combination
- Hummus – turn it into a sandwich and add some hummus, avocado and sun-dried tomatoes on your bread
- Roasted tomato salsa – pita and salsa you can easily use this on your bread
You can even roast your pita into chips and eat it as a snack the options are endless really.
It takes quite some time to make but when you taste this homemade pita bread you know it is really worth to make your own.
Of course, buying is way more convenient. I get it, I buy them in the store as well. However, I do keep a special stack in my freezer to use when I want to make my recipe extra delicious.
This applies to my tortilla recipe but also for this pita bread recipe. Buying pita bread in the store is just fine but if you want the most perfect pita bread this is your recipe.
Pita bread ingredients
If you want to make this pita bread recipe you need a number of basic ingredients that I ‘m sure you have in your pantry or kitchen cabinet.
Make sure you have the following pita bread ingredients close at hand:
- All-purpose flour
- Whole wheat flour
- Olive oil
- Warm water
How to make the best pita bread
To make the best pita bread you basically need to apply 5 steps. If you follow these steps your bread ends up looking so appetizing you want to eat them straight out of the oven.
One of the secrets to perfect pita bread is yeast. Use a new packet or fresh yeast to be sure the dough can proof properly.
As soon as you open a packet of instant yeast the quality deteriorates. So if you use an open packet check to see if it is still active.
You can do this by making a separate yeast mixture and combine the yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir and let it rest for at least 5-8 minutes.
The warm water and sugar will activate and feed the yeast. So you will see the mixture froth and bubble slightly. If that is the case you have active yeast.
Combine the all-purpose flour and wheat flour in a separate large mixing bowl. These two types of flour are the perfect mix to make perfect pita bread.
The all-purpose flour helps the dough become nice and fluffy. Add the yeast mixture to your flour mixture.
Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes by hand or use your kitchen machine (this will require only a couple of minutes) before you let it rest and proof in an oiled bowl.
Set the bowl in a draft-free warm spot for at least one hour. You can use a cool oven for this. Make sure you cover the bowl with cling film or a clean cloth.
Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into an 8-inch circle of about ¼ inch thick. Let the pita bread proof for another 25 minutes under some plastic wrap and a wet cloth.
What is also very important to good bread is the heat of the oven. If possible heat the oven at 500℉/250℃ and if you have a pizza stone preheat the stone in the oven as well.
When the oven is preheated do not put the pita bread in the oven right away. Let the oven run for at least another 10 minutes before you put the pita in the oven. That way your oven and stone is really hot.
Be aware that these are my oven settings yours can be different so stay close when you start baking your bread adjust the temperature or cooking time if needed.
When the dough is proofed pick up a pita bread and turn it upside down before you put them on the pizza stone. The pita will bake more evenly and the top and bottom pita wall will be just as thick.
Do not crowd your pizza stone. I can fit two pita bread on my stone and put them in the oven. Bake between 3 to 4 minutes.
Because you let the oven warm a little longer the bread will puff up from the first pita bread. If you do not let the oven warm a little bit longer it will take the first pita longer to cook and puff up.
When the pita bread is baked and out of the oven put them in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Putting them in a kitchen towel will prevent the pita from drying out.
Then heat a cast iron skillet until really hot and char every pita in about half a minute per side. Either serve the bread immediately or let them cool so you can store them.
Store your pita bread
You have a couple of options to store your pita bread:
- Outside the fridge – if you want to eat the bread within 1 or 2 days you can put them in a closed plastic bag outside of the fridge. The plastic will prevent the bread from going dry.
- Fridge – you can also put them in a bag and store them in the fridge for a couple of days.
- Freezer – Want to keep them longer put your bread in a freezer bag and store it in your freezer for up to a couple of months.
Reheat your bread
If you are going to eat them sprinkle some water on your bread and wrap them in aluminum foil. Set your oven to 400℉/200℃ and warm for about 5-7 minutes.
If you have a toaster you can use that as well. Do not set it to warm. Again sprinkle some water on the bread and toast for half a minute and check to see if it is warm.
Recipes you can make with pita bread
Wondering what to eat with pita and looking for some great pita bread recipe ideas and fillings? Take a look at these tasty recipes:
- Greek gyros with pita bread – you can stuff the pita bread with Greek gyros. Gyros is easy to make with pork shoulder and lots of spices
- Pita pizza with shrimp and salami – one of the easiest pizza recipes you can make. These are fun to make with your kids and are great for a lunch or afternoon snack. One pita bread yields two pizzas so get creative with your toppings
- Falafel burger with pita taco – you can make a delicious falafel burger with chickpea, chili pepper, spices, and garlic. Half a pita bread and you have two tacos. Add some onion, tomato or sauce to turn it into a great lunch or dinner
- Delicious easy homemade pita chips – you can make pita chips for the weekend or on game night. Combine with your favorite dips and you have a delicious but responsible snack!
- Hummus – pita bread with hummus is a killer combination. Make the hummus yourself you will be in food heaven!
- Oven baked chicken shawarma – seasoned to perfection with this shawarma seasoning and yogurt. Baked in the oven and wrapped in soft pita bread
See how to make easy pita bread recipe
Want to see how to make easy pita bread recipe at home? Watch the instruction video below and follow along:
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Making the best pita bread at home is easier than you think. This pita bread is fluffy and soft waiting to be filled with veggies, meat or sauce.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water, 105–110℉
- Put yeast, sugar in a small bowl and add warm water. Stir and let it rest for 5 minutes
- Mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt. Then add yeast mixture, olive oil and the remaining water together. Stir with a wooden spoon
- Put on a floured surface and knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes until it becomes a smooth, elastic dough. Make a big ball
- Oil the bowl with olive oil and put the dough in the bowl. Cover the dough with olive oil as well. Put some cling film on the bowl and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it through on a floured surface. Cut into 8 pieces and roll them into 8 inch pita of about ¼ thick. Cover with cling film and a wet towel and let it proof for another 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 500℉ and pre heat a pizza stone as well. Let the oven heat an additional 10 minutes to make it extra hot. You need the heat the puf the pita
- Pick up a pita and turn it upside down on the pizza stone before you put it in the oven. Let it bake between 3 to 4 minutes. Do not over bake or it will go dry.
- Take the pita(s) out of the oven and store them in a dishcloth while you bake the other pita breads
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat. Char one pita at a time in the skillet for about 30 seconds per side. Cover in a towel until all pitas are charred
- Serve immediately
Calories: 84; Fat: 2g; Carbs: 14.2g; Protein: 2.6g