Making the best pita bread at home is easier than you might think. Try this recipe and you will not buy in the store again. This homemade pita bread is fluffy and soft with pockets just waiting to be filled with delicious veggies, meat and sauce. Ready to learn how you can make the best pita bread recipe at home? Lets get started!
I love pita bread because you can eat it with shoarma, gyros, like a sandwich or as a hamburger bun. Pita bread is the best and so versatile.
It take a lot of time but when you taste this homemade pita bread you know it is really worth to make your own.
Of course buying is way more convenient. I get it, I buy in the store as well. However I do keep a special stack in my freezer to use when I want to make my recipe extra delicious.
This applies to my tortilla recipe but also for this pita bread recipe. Buying pita bread in the store is just fine but if you want the most perfect pita bread this is your recipe.
Pita bread ingredients
If you want to make this pita bread recipe you need a number of basic ingredient that I ‘m sure you have in your pantry or kitchen cabinet.
Make sure you have the following pita bread ingredients close at hand:
- All-purpose flour
- Whole wheat flour
- Olive oil
- Warm water
How to make the best pita bread
To make the best pita bread you basically need to apply 5 steps. If you follow those steps your breads end up looking so appetizing you want to eat them straight away.
One of the secrets to perfect pita bread is yeast. Use a new packet or fresh yeast to be sure the dough can proof properly.
As soon as you open a packet of instant yeast the quality deteriorates. So if you use an open packet check to see if it is still active.
You can do this by making a separate yeast mixture and combine the yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir and let it rest for at least 5-8 minutes.
The warm water and sugar will activate and feed the yeast. So you will see the mixture froth and bubble slightly. If that is the case you have active yeast.
In a separate bowl combine all purpose flour and wheat flour which is the perfect mix to make perfect pita bread.
The wheat flour helps the dough become nice and fluffy. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes before and let it proof in an oiled bowl.
Set the bowl in a draft free warm spot for at least one hour. Make sure you cover the bowl with cling film or a clean cloth.
Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into 8 inch circle of about ¼ inch thick. Let the pita bread proof for another 25 minutes under some plastic wrap and a wet cloth.
What is also very important is the heat of the oven. If possible heat the oven at 500℉/250℃ and if you have a pizza stone pre heat the stone in the oven as well.
When the oven is preheated do not put the pita bread in the oven right away. Let the oven run for at least another 10 minutes before you put the pita in the oven. That way your oven and stone is really hot.
When the dough is proofed pick up a pita bread and turn it upside down before you put them on the pizza stone. The pita will bake more evenly and the top and bottom pita wall will be just as thick.
Do not crowd your pizza stone. I can fit two pita bread on my stone and put them in the oven. Bake between 3 to 4 minutes.
Because you let the oven warm a little langer the bread will puff up from the first pita bread. If you do not let the oven warm a little bit longer it will take the first pita longer to cook and puff up.
When the pita breads are baked and out of the oven put them in a kitchen towel. Putting them in a kitchen towel will prevent the pita from drying out.
Then heat a cast iron skillet until really hot and char every pita in about half a minute per side. Either serve the bread immediately or let them cool so you can store them.
You can put them in a zip top bag and store them in the freezer for a couple of months. There you have it, all my tips and secrets to make the best pita bread.
Wondering what to eat with pita, read further down to see some great pita bread recipe ideas and fillings.
Recipes you can make with pita bread
Looking for great pita bread fillings take a look at these tasty recipes:
- Greek gyros with pita bread – you can stuff the pita bread with Greek gyros. Gyros is easy to make with pork shoulder and lots of spices
- Pita pizza with shrimp and salami – one of the easiest pizza recipes you can make. These are fun to make with your kids and are great for a lunch of afternoon snack. One pita bread yields two pizzas so get creative with your toppings
- Falafel burger with pita taco – you can make a delicious falafel burger with chickpea, chili pepper, spices and garlic. Half a pita bread and you have two tacos. Add some onion, tomato or sauce to turn it into a great lunch or dinner
- Delicious easy homemade pita chips – you can make pita chips for the weekend or on game night. Combine with your favorite dips and you have a delicious but responsible snack!
- Hummus – pita bread with hummus is a killer combination. Make the hummus yourself you will be in food heaven!
- Oven baked chicken shawarma – seasoned to perfection with this shawarma seasoning and yogurt. Baked in the oven and wrapped in soft pita bread
See how to make easy pita bread recipe
Want to see how to make easy pita bread recipe? Watch the instruction video below:
Have fun with this how to make pita bread recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN it on Pinterest.
Making the best pita bread at home is easier than you think. This pita bread is fluffy and soft waiting to be filled with veggies, meat or sauce.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water, 105–110℉
- Put yeast, sugar in a small bowl and add warm water. Stir and let it rest for 5 minutes
- Mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt. Then add yeast mixture, olive oil and the remaining water together. Stir with a wooden spoon
- Put on a floured surface and knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes until it becomes a smooth, elastic dough. Make a big ball
- Oil the bowl with olive oil and put the dough in the bowl. Cover the dough with olive oil as well. Put some cling film on the bowl and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it through on a floured surface. Cut into 8 pieces and roll them into 8 inch pita of about ¼ thick. Cover with cling film and a wet towel and let it proof for another 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 500℉ and pre heat a pizza stone as well. Let the oven heat an additional 10 minutes to make it extra hot. You need the heat the puf the pita
- Pick up a pita and turn it upside down on the pizza stone before you put it in the oven. Let it bake between 3 to 4 minutes. Do not over bake or it will go dry.
- Take the pita(s) out of the oven and store them in a dishcloth while you bake the other pita breads
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat. Char one pita at a time in the skillet for about 30 seconds per side. Cover in a towel until all pitas are charred
- Serve immediately
Calories: 84; Fat: 2g; Carbs: 14.2g; Protein: 2.6g