Shrimp croquettes or croquetas de camarones are amazing! If you love tapas this recipe is for you
These are made with Dutch North Sea shrimp but you can make them with any small-sized shrimp. Ready to learn how you can make shrimp croquettes at home? Let’s get started!
Croquettes are a big part of Spanish tapas culture but let me tell you we Dutchie love us some croquettes.
You can get quite a number of croquette variety:
- Slow-cooked brisket croquettes
- Chicken croquettes
- Ham croquettes
- Cheese croquettes
- Satay croquettes
- Vegetable croquettes
Opposed to the tapas size croquettes the Dutch like to either eat big croquettes with bread or a bitterbal which is half the size of a croquette and served as a snack.
But in Holland, we love shrimp croquettes as much as in Spain. To make it authentic Dutch use North sea shrimp.
These shrimp are gray and super small. They have a rather sweet taste opposed to pink shrimp. It might be difficult to find North-sea shrimp so feel free to use other shrimp.
Shrimp croquette ingredients
To make this croquetas de Camarones recipe you need less than 10 ingredients which is a very limited number. It is unbelievable you can make this recipe with just this number of ingredients.
Put the following ingredients on your grocery list:
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Dried bread crumbs
- Fresh parsley
- North sea shrimp / small pink shrimp
- A pinch of salt
How to make shrimp croquettes
Start with preheating a small saucepan and add olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir through butter to combine flour and butter into a dough.
Then add all the milk in one go. Constantly whisk so any lumps can be smoothened out. You will get a white sauce.
Let the bechamel sauce simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Take the pan off the heat and let it cool slightly.
Add the shrimp to the sauce and stir it through with some chopped parsley. Put the bowl with the shrimp sauce mixture and let it cool for at least 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator.
Shape the cold mixture into small croquettes. You want to bread the croquettes before you fry them in hot oil.
Whisk the egg and roll the croquette through the egg then cover with bread crumbs. To be certain your croquettes hold shape put them in the fridge while heating the oil.
Heat the oil until approximately 375℉/180℃ do not fry too many croquettes at a time. Two or ma three is more than enough.
Fry until golden brown about 5 minutes. Take out of the pan and put on a paper towel to drain excess fat. Your shrimp croquettes are ready to serve.
Other tapas recipes
If you love tapas you can find even more recipes here. Take a look at these tapas recipes:
- Croquetas de Jamon
- Huevos rotos
- Spanish tortilla
- Patatas bravas
- Tortillitas de camarones
- Spanish cod fritters
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a great tapas recipe that you can serve as a snack or at a party try this shrimp croquettes filled with small shrimp.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ cups whole milk, heated
- ½ cup small shrimp
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat a small saucepan over medium heat with olive oil and the butter. Add the flour and stir through butter until you get a roux
- Add all the milk in one go and stir. Whisk the lumps away stirring continuously. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce is set and take off the heat
- Add the shrimp in the sauce. Put the mixture in a bowl and let cool in the fridge for at least 30-45 minutes
- When the mixture is cold shape your croquettes by hand or with a spoon
- Whisk an egg and roll the croquette in the egg then cover with bread crumbs
- Put in the croquettes in the fridge while you preheat your oil in a pan until approximately 375℉/180℃.
- Fry 2 to 3 croquettes at a time. Fry until golden brown. Take them out of the pan and drain on a paper towel Repeat for the next batch of croquettes
- Ready to serve
Calories: 180; Fat: 15.2g; Carbs: 7.5g; Protein: 4.1g;