Spanish garlic shrimp or gambas al ajillo are a great a tasty tapas dish!
Now you can easily make this at home and serve them as an appetizer for family or friends. Another fast recipe so are you ready to learn how to make Spanish garlic shrimp? Let’s get started!
If you are a frequent visitor of the Tortilla Channel you know that I love tapas dishes. One of the great things to do when you are in Spain is to visit a tapas bar.
Especially at the end of the day, to bridge, the gap between lunch and dinner is a great time for tapas.
When you eat dinner at eight you definitely can eat a small snack. Garlic shrimp is one of those tasty tapas recipes.
You have to serve it with some baguette or bread so you can dip it in the garlic-flavored olive oil. It is also a great way to prevent spilling the hot oil the gambas are baked in.
Serve the gambas in the typical clay tapas dishes if you can find them. I found mine in a bazaar in Spain.
These stores have everything you can think of and cost next to nothing.
Spanish garlic shrimp ingredients
To make these gambas al ajillo tapas you need about a handful of ingredients. Put the following products on your grocery shopping list:
- Big shrimp
- Small onion
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
What type of shrimp to use?
There are different types of shrimp you can use in this recipe.
- Fresh or frozen – you can choose to buy fresh shrimp on the market or in the store or use frozen. When you use frozen let the shrimp thaw first. A simple trick to thaw shrimp fast is to put them in a bowl of cold water. Within minutes the shrimp are defrosted
- Cleaned shrimp – you can choose to buy cleaned shrimp so the head and shells are removed. You can find shrimp with a tail, or totally stripped. If you decide to buy whole shrimp, do not through away all the shells but put them in water and make stock for fish soup.
- Raw or cooked shrimp – you can do both but I prefer the raw shrimp so they can pick up all the flavor of the garlic and oil. Cooked shrimp, e.g. cocktail shrimp, can also be used but be prepared these may have less flavor.
How to make Spanish garlic shrimp tapas
Start this recipe by washing the shrimp with cold water. If you have shrimp with a shell you can remove the shell and leave the tail on.
Finely chop the onion and either thinly slice the garlic or finely chop the garlic as well.
Take a small skillet and preheat to medium-hot. Then add the olive oil and let it warm for a couple of seconds before adding the onion.
Stir continuously to prevent the onion from burning and then add the garlic. Again stir the onion-garlic mix continuously until soft and translucent. This takes 2-3 minutes.
Then add the red pepper flakes so it can infuse the oil. Stir and then add the shrimp and move them around in the oil.
The shrimp will turn from gray to pink in about a minute. Turn the shrimp and let this side turn pink as well.
Leave the shrimp for another minute and turn down the heat and serve your garlic shrimp with fresh bread.
Other tapas recipes
If you love tapas recipes you should check out these recipes as well. Serve them together and you have your own tapas bar.
Try these tapas:
- Spanish tortilla
- Tortillitas de camarones Fried shrimp cakes
- Mini tacos
- Spanish croquettes de jamon
- Cod fritters
- Rice with tuna
Have fun with this Spanish garlic shrimp!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a great shrimp tapas recipe? Try these Spanish garlic shrimp or Gambas al ajillo. Super easy and fast recipe to make. Serve with bread or rice.
- 2 cups big shrimp
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Wash the shrimp with cold water
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Take a small skillet and preheat to medium-hot. Then add the olive oil and let it warm for a couple of seconds before adding the onion
- Stir continuously to prevent the onion from burning and then add the garlic. Again stir the onion-garlic mix continuously until soft and translucent. This takes 2-3 minutes
- Add the red pepper flakes so it can infuse the oil. Stir and add the shrimp and move them around in the oil
- The shrimp will turn from gray to pink in about a minute. Turn the shrimp and let this side turn pink as well
- Leave the shrimp for another minute and turn down the heat
- Serve your garlic shrimp with fresh bread
If you have shrimp with a shell you can remove the shell and leave the tail on
Calories: 374; Fat: 29g; Carbs: 4.8g. Protein: 24.5g;