This is a first. I never done this before on the tortilla channel but I am sharing a soup recipe with you. This recipe is very easy to make and most likely you do not have to go shopping for this recipe as a lot of ingredients are regular pantry essentials. So are you ready to learn how you can make this super easy tortilla soup? Lets get started!
Soup can be eaten on a lot of different occasions. Usually I order a soup when I go out to dinner with my husband but I do not cook soup on a regular basis at home. This soup however is really easy and hearty. That is what I like best in a soup some texture and some chunks.
As it is a tortilla soup I start with warming a tortilla. If you are vegan brush your tortilla with some olive oil and put it in the oven at 350 ℉. For non vegans and cheese lovers add some Mozzarella on top of the tortilla before putting the tortilla in the oven. Leave in the oven for about 8 minutes.
The basis of this soup is vegetables. Diced bell pepper, onion and garlic the best ingredient in almost any recipe. I add some minced ginger to the vegetable mix as well. To give this soup a kick I added half of a small jalapeño pepper diced. Normally I would add some vegetable stock cube but in this case I didn’t.
Now it is time for some tomatoes. I used canned Roma tomatoes. Add them to the pan and crush the tomatoes. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and add 1 to 2 cups of water. If you like a rustic soup with chunks of tomato add one cup of water like a more liquid soup add 1,5 to 2 cups of water. Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
Take the tortilla out of the oven and slice into small strips and pieces. Divide the soup over two bowls. Decorate with some crunchy corn on top, some pieces of tortilla, slices of avocado and sun dried tomatoes. Serve immediately.
If you like to eat different kind of soups then check out my healthy vegan beans tortilla soup recipe as well.
Soup side dishes
This tortilla soup is great on its own but you can make it even better with one of these side dishes or ingredients:
- Homemade tortilla chips – instead of buying tortilla chips you can make these nacho chips yourself
- Vegan peanut salad – soup and salad a great combination especially if you serve this soup with vegan peanut salad
- Tapenade tortilla bread – this is one of my favorite breads. It contains cheese but you can easily omit it
- No knead Mediterranean bread – this bread with olives and sun dried tomatoes tastes great with any soup recipe
- Turkish pide bread – another great bread to combine with this soup
- Arepas – easy corn cakes bread recipe that you can eat with this soup
How to make super easy tortilla soup
Want to know you can make this super easy tortilla soup? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video:
I hope you enjoyed this super easy tortilla soup recipe. Make a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram.
You might even have to go shopping for this super easy tortilla soup as a lot of ingredients are in your pantry. Lets get started!
- 1 tortilla
- 1 can of Roma tomatoes
- ½ diced bell pepper
- ½ diced onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 dime size piece of ginger finely chopped
- ½ jalapeño pepper diced
- Option for non vegans: ½ cup of Mozzarella
- 1 half cup of crispy corn
- 6 slices of sun dried tomato
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ avocado sliced
- Heat the oven at 350℉/175℃
- Brush tortilla with olive oil. Non vegans can sprinkle shredded Mozzarella on the tortilla before putting it into the oven for 8 minutes
- Heat a small soup pan and add two table spoons of olive oil. Sauté the bell peppers, onion, ginger, jalapeño and garlic until soft
- Add the can of tomatoes and squash them fine
- Let it simmer for about 5 couple of minutes.
- Add a cup of water if you like the soup to be chunky or 2 cups of water if you like it more liquid
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer for another 5 minutes
- Cut the tortilla into small pieces.
- Take soup from the furnace and decorate with crispy corn, pieces of tortilla, sun dried tomatoes and slices of avocado.
- Serve immediately
Calories: 242; Fat: 14.3g; Carbs: 27.9g; Protein: 4.8g;