Mexican tortilla soup is the perfect basis for any of your soup recipes. It is so easy to make. Eat it vegan or add some meat or poultry.
If you have only 15 minutes and want to make a warming recipe make this tortilla soup recipe. It is so easy to make. Most likely you do not even have to go grocery shopping because a lot of ingredients are regular pantry essentials. So are you ready to learn how you to make Mexican tortilla soup? Let’s get started!
What better thing to eat than a warm and hearty bowl of soup. You can eat is for lunch, as a starter or as a complete meal.
If you have a basic recipe like this Mexican tortilla soup you can add whatever ingredients you like to best.
Eat with a slice of fresh bread or toast. Do not finely chop your ingredients but leave it a bit chunky to get a more rustic soup.
This soup, however, is really easy and hearty. That is what I like best in a soup some texture and some chunks.
Mexican tortilla soup ingredients
So what do you need to make this tomato soup? Take a look at this grocery list:
- Flour tortilla
- Roma tomatoes
- Point red pepper
- Jalapeño pepper
- Crispy corn
- Sun-dried tomato
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella (optional, non-vegan)
How to make Mexican tortilla soup
As it is a Mexican tortilla soup I start with warming a flour tortilla. Brush the tortilla with olive oil and put it in the oven at 350℉/175℃.
For non-vegans and cheese, lovers add some Mozzarella on top of the tortilla before putting the tortilla in the oven. Leave in the oven for about 8 minutes.
The basis of this soup is vegetables. Diced bell pepper, onion, and garlic. I add some minced ginger to the vegetable mix as well.
To give this soup a kick I added half of a small jalapeño pepper diced. Normally I would add some vegetable stock cube but in this case, I didn’t.
Now it is time for Roma tomatoes. Add them to the pan and crush the tomatoes. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and add 1 to 2 cups of water.
If you like a rustic soup with chunks of tomato add one cup of water like a more liquid soup add 1,5 to 2 cups of water. Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
Take the tortilla out of the oven and slice into small strips and pieces. Divide the soup over two bowls. Decorate with some crunchy corn on top, some pieces of tortilla, slices of avocado and sun-dried tomatoes.
Serve your Mexican tortilla soup immediately.
Other soup recipes
If you love this Mexican tortilla soup take a look at these soup recipes you will love them as well:
Make your soup with
Make your soup even better you can add one of the following ingredients:
- Mexican seasoning – want to spice up your soup add this Mexican seasoning
- Shredded chicken – half a chicken breast and add to the soup. Let it boil for 10 minutes and shred with two forks
- Ground turkey – bake your turkey like in this ground turkey taco recipe. Add to soup and let it warm for a couple of minutes
- Scallion – decorate your soup with thinly sliced scallions
- Chili pepper – want more spice, add some chili pepper
- Bacon – crispy bacon is great with this soup
Soup side dishes
This tortilla soup is great on its own but you can make it even better with one of these side dishes or ingredients:
- Garlic bread – what better to eat with soup is bread. This soft garlic bread is a great combination
- No knead Mediterranean bread – this bread with olives and sun-dried tomatoes tastes great with any soup recipe
- Tapenade tortilla bread – this is one of my favorite bread. It contains cheese but you can easily omit it
- Turkish pide bread – another great bread to combine with this Mexican tomato soup recipe
- Homemade tortilla chips – instead of buying tortilla chips you can make these nacho chips yourself
- Arepas – easy corn cakes bread recipe that you can eat with this soup
See how to make Mexican tortilla soup
Want to see you can make this easy tortilla soup? Watch the instruction video below to follow along:
I hope you enjoyed this super easy soup recipe as much as I do. Have fun making Mexican tortilla soup! Made a recipe please tag @thetortillachannel on INSTAGRAM, PIN on PINTEREST and like us on FACEBOOK for more information and updates.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a super easy Mexican tortilla soup? Look at this soup recipe. Lots of vegetables and tortillas. Make it vegan or add some meat or poultry.
- 1 tortilla
- 1 can of Roma tomatoes
- ½ point red pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 dime size piece of ginger finely chopped
- ½ jalapeño pepper diced
- 1 half cup of crispy corn
- 6 slices of sun-dried tomato
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ avocado sliced
- Option for non-vegans: a ½ cup of Mozzarella
- Heat the oven at 350℉/175℃
- Brush tortilla with olive oil. Non vegans can sprinkle shredded Mozzarella on the tortilla before putting it into the oven for 8 minutes
- Heat a small soup pan and add two table spoons of olive oil. Sauté the bell peppers, onion, ginger, jalapeño and garlic until soft
- Add the can of tomatoes and squash them fine
- Let it simmer for about 5 couple of minutes.
- Add a cup of water if you like the soup to be chunky or 2 cups of water if you like it more liquid
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer for another 5 minutes
- Cut the tortilla into small pieces.
- Take soup from the furnace and decorate with crispy corn, pieces of tortilla, sun dried tomatoes and slices of avocado.
- Serve immediately
Calories: 242; Fat: 14.3g; Carbs: 27.9g; Protein: 4.8g;