Sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheesecake is a real treat.
Okay, I admit this cake is not so good for the hip and thighs but if you want to try a different kind of cake, this is the one. The cream cheese filling is not that sweet it is in perfect balance with the rest of the cake. Want to learn how you can make sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheesecake? Let’s get started!
Have you ever tried bunuelos? Bunuelos might be the easiest sweet tortilla recipe that you can find.
In fact, it is sugared pan-fried tortilla. As they are so easy to make you can actually make them fresh when family and friends come over.
But to prevent your house from smelling of fried food all day long you can easily make them in advance.
For this cake, I used 3 small tortillas because when you eat a piece of this pie, be prepared to not eat for the rest of the day. Because you will be full.
However, you can stack it up as high as you like. I have seen bunuelos cake up to 8 layers.
Sweet bunuelos dessert ingredients
To make sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheesecake I use the following ingredients:
- 3 small tortilla
- Coconut/Palm sugar
- Homemade Nutella
- Cocoa powder
- Blue berries
- Cream cheese
- Vegetable oil for pan fryng
How to make sweet bunuelos
Put the sugar, palm sugar and cinnamon on a big plate and stir through. The preheat a small pan that fits one tortilla.
I do not like to heat a big pan of oil as I do not want to throw away a lot of oil so use a small pan. This works very well. Just put 5 to 6 tablespoons of oil in a small skillet.
When you put the tortilla in hot oil they will puff up and brown in a matter of seconds. So be prepared with your tongs to scoop them out of the oil when they brown.
Turn the tortilla to fry the other side.
When you take them out of the frying pan and put them straight into the sugar cinnamon mix your sweet treat is ready.
With the oil on the tortilla, the sugar will stick to the tortilla. You can put them on a kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
However, I find that when you fry them on the right temperature for a couple of seconds you do not get a lot of excess oil.
Now it is time to layer your cake. You start with a bunuelos, then spread some (homemade) Nutella on top. Then a ring of cream cheese.
Push the cream cheese down a little with a spoon. Sprinkle some of the sugar-mix on the cream cheese.
Repeat with a second layer and add cocoa powder. For the final layer, I start with Nutella again but decorate the whole top with cream cheese.
Sprinkle with a little sugar mix and cocoa powder. Finally, decorate with some raspberries and blueberries.
The colors look so pretty on the sweet bunuelos cheesecake.
Decorating options for sweet bunuelos cheesecake
- Nuts – if you like nuts you can put some whole or finely chopped roasted almonds, pecan or walnuts on the top layer of the Sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheesecake
- Honey – drizzle some honey on the top layer of the Sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheesecake for some extra sweetness
- Syrup – if you do not like honey, substitute with syrup instead
- Fruit – layer on the fruits. I only used the fruit to decorate the top but you can put a slice of pineapple between every layer or slice some strawberries and put them inside the cream cheese ring per layer. What about thin slices of banana on every bunuelos. Apples or apple pie filling will work really well with or without the cream cheese. As you can see the options are endless
See how you can make sweet bunuelos
Want to see how you can make sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheese cake? Watch the instruction video below:
Have fun with this sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheesecake recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN it to Pinterest.
Sweet bunuelos tortilla cream cheese cake is a real treat with sugared tortilla, cream cheese, cocoa powder and fresh berries. Do you want another cake? Try this one.
- 3 small tortilla
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut/palm sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp of homemade Nutella
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup of raspberries
- ½ cup of blue berries
- ½ cup of cream cheese
- Vegetable oil
- Put the sugar, palm sugar and cinnamon on a big plate and stir
- Pre heat a small skillet. Put a tortilla in hot oil. When they puff up turn and fry the other side
- Put tortilla straight into the sugar cinnamon mix
- Layer your cake and start start with a bunuelos, then spread some (homemade) Nutella on top. Then a ring of cream cheese
- Push the cream cheese down a little with a spoon. Sprinkle some of the sugar mix on the cream cheese
- Repeat with a second layer and add cocoa powder
- For the final layer start with Nutella. Decorate the top tortilla completely with cream cheese, sprinkle with a little sugar mix and cocoa powder.
- Decorate with some raspberries and blue berries. Ready to serve
With the oil still on the tortilla the sugar will stick to the tortilla. You can put them on a kitchen paper to drain excess oil. However I find that when you fry them on the right temperature for a couple of seconds you do not get a lot of excess oil.
Calories: 281; Fat: 16.8g; Carbs: 30.9g; Protein: 4.3g;