Sweet empanada dough is great for making surprisingly delicious dessert turnovers or soft hand pies
You can easily make sweet dough from scratch and bake them in the oven or fry in oil. You can fill these empanadas with a number of great fillings. Are you ready to learn how to make sweet empanada dough? Let’s get started!
One of the most favorite recipes on the Tortilla Channel is this easy to make empanada dough. You can use them to make savory recipes.
You can use regular empanada dough to make sweet recipes but today’s recipe is especially great for hand pies, sweet turnovers or dessert empanadas.
To make this sweet dough you have to add sugar. However, it is really important is to not overdo the amount of sugar.
Because when you add to much sugar to pie dough the dough will get really fragile. When dough is really fragile it becomes very difficult to roll the dough.
Try to make the dough and follow the recipe if you want it sweeter add more sugar according to the notes below.
Sweet empanada dough ingredients
This is a super quick and easy pastry dough. Besides making turnovers you can also use this dough for crusty pie or tart.
Have the following ingredients ready when you start making your dough:
- All-purpose flour
- Real butter
- Pinch of salt
- Ice cold water
How to make sweet empanada dough
To make the sweet empanada dough for baking use a kitchen machine. Put the flour, salt, and sugar in the kitchen machine and pulse to combine the ingredients.
Then take the butter and slice it into about 15 small pieces of butter. Open the kitchen machine and add the pieces of butter.
Pulse to combine the flour mixture and butter. You will get a crumbly structure.
Now add the egg and drizzle the water in a steady stream while the kitchen machine pulses. You will get a consistent flaky dough.
Take the dough out of the kitchen machine and knead the dough by hand for a couple of minutes. Then wrap the dough in foil.
Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. Then the dough is ready for use.
Put some flour on a worktop and rolling pin and roll out the dough into a thin sheet. Use an empanada mold or a plate to make the empanada disc.
See how to make sweet empanada dough
Want to see how you can make sweet empanada dough from scratch? Watch the instruction video with step by step instructions.
Follow along so you can see how easy it is to make this dough yourself.
Store sweet empanada dough
You can prepare empanada dough and store it in a couple of ways:
- Fridge – use within 1 or 2 days, you can leave the dough in the fridge
- Freezer – you can freeze a ball of sweet dough wrapped in foil. You can also cut the empanada discs and freeze per disc. Separate with baking paper and put it in a ziplock bag.
Flavor the sweet dough
Besides adding sugar to your dough you can add a lot of spices to the dough to give it even more flavor. Add spices like:
- Pumpkin spice
- Star anise
- Coconut sugar
Have fun trying this quick and easy sweet empanada dough recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Want to learn how to make sweet empanada dough from scratch? Try this sweet empanada dough recipe. A great pastry dough that you can use for pie or tarts!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 225-grams, cut into 15 pieces
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of sugar (note 1)
- 2-4 tablespoons of cold water
- Pinch of salt
- Put the flour, salt, and sugar in the kitchen machine and pulse to combine the ingredients
- Slice the butter into about 15 small pieces. Add the pieces of butter to the kitchen machine
- Pulse to combine the flour mixture and butter. You will get a crumbly structure
- Add the egg and drizzle the water in a steady stream while the kitchen machine pulses. You will get a consistent flaky dough
- Take the dough out of the kitchen machine and knead the dough by hand for a couple of minutes. Then wrap the dough in foil
- Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. Then the dough is ready for use
- Put some flour on a worktop and rolling pin and roll out the dough into a thin sheet. Use an empanada mold or a plate to make the empanada disc
Note 1 - if you want a sweeter dough you can add another ¼ cup of sugar. Note 2 - Instead of adding more sugar to the dough you can sprinkle suger on top of your turnovers.
Calories: 274; Fat: 16g; Carbs: 28g; Protein: 4.3g;