Apple galette is such a great apple pie recipe. You do not need a springform to get a crispy crust and a delicious apple pie!
Almost the same ingredients as a regular pie but a different shape and a different taste. Want to learn how you can make this apple galette recipe? Let’s get started!
Whether you have an apple tree or not you definitely have to make this apple recipe. This galette recipe is a great recipe to make with your own apples.
We have some apple trees and every year we yield a different amount of apples. This past year we had a bucket and a half of apples.
The apples grow all natural and without any chemicals. You can tell when you use organic apples the pies taste so much sweetener.
Normally I bake a traditional apple pie but this is a slightly different version. No springform, all organic and totally vegan.
We have three apple trees in our garden with three types of apples. A Golden Delicious, a Jonagold and a Golden Rennet.
The last two are great for apple pie baking.
A galette is a term used in the French cuisine to describe a flat round free form, crusty cake. Galettes are usually made with sweet filling but can also contain a savoury filling.
A galette has a rustic feel to it mainly because of the shape of the crust. You do not use a springform but fold the crust over the filling.
You can make a galette with so many fruits:
Choose the fruit or fruit combination you love.
Apple galette ingredients
To make this apple recipe you need the following ingredients on your grocery list:
- Vegan butter
- Apples (Jonagold or Gold Rennet)
- Lemon juice
- Filling like dulce de leche, hazelnut paste, favorite jam or marmalade
This pie is vegan version because then everybody can enjoy it. It tastes the same as a normal pie so no worries.
I used flour and a plant-based butter as a base. Off course you can use regular butter if you are not vegan or lactose intolerant.
The amount to use stays the same.
How to make an apple galette
Start out with a cup of flour and put that into the food processor. Then slowly add butter in small pieces while the food processor is turning.
Halfway through adding the butter, you can add the sugar to the dough. When all of the butter has been mixed the dough will be a little dry.
At this point in time, add two tbsp of cold water to get a consistent dough. Then take the dough out of the food processor.
Knead it through with your hands for a couple of minutes before you let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Wrap the dough in cling film when you put it in the refrigerator to prevent the dough from going dry.
Prepare the apples
While the dough is cooling prepare the apples. There multiple ways to prepare them:
- Food processor – use a food processor that has a slicer to cut on big apple into small slices
- Mandolin slicer – be careful with your fingers while cutting the apples into thin slices
- Knife – use a knife to cut the apple in thin slices
Keep the sliced apple in a bowl. To prevent them from going brown sprinkle with lemon juice.
Make the galette
After half an hour take the dough out of the fridge. Cover a baking tray with baking paper. Flour the rolling pin and roll the dough into a big circle.
Then brush the pie dough with filling like:
Now it is time for the apples. Start with the apples about 1 inch/2 cm from the edge. Lay the apple slices in a circle.
Then a second circle inside the first circle. Continue adding the apple slices until all of the dough with filling is covered.
Fold the uncovered dough as a crust over the apples and shape into a galette. Preheat the oven to 390℉/ 180℃.
Brush the crust with water or dairy-free milk and sprinkle sugar on the crust and also on top of the sliced apples.
Then bake the pie in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is nice and golden brown.
Let the pie cool slightly and serve your rustic apple galette. Enjoy!
More easy baking recipes
If you like to bake then check out some of my other favorite baking recipes as well:
- Mango Nutty Nutella pie galette
- Chocolate fruit-pecan pie
- Delicious carrot cake
- Sweet pull apart chocolate and nut bread
- Dutch apple pie
- Easy apple cake
See how to make an apple galette
Want to know how you can make a rustic apple galette? Watch the food instruction video below to follow along:
I hope you enjoyed this how to make apple galette recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Sweet apple galette is an easy to make rustic galette recipe. Make with (home grown) apples and be surprised with this delicious dessert or coffee pie.
- 200 g flour
- 100 g vegan butter (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of ice cold water
- 1 apple (Jonagold or Gold Rennet)
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice to prevent apples from turning brown
- Pinch of salt
- Water and 1 tbsp of sugar to brush and coat the crust
- 4 tbsp of dulce de leche, hazelnut paste, favorite jam or marmalade
- Combine flour and butter in a food processor.
- Add sugar, a pinch of salt and lastly the water to get a consistent dough
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge
- Cut the apple in thin slices and sprinkle lemon on the apples. Set aside
- Take the pie dough and roll it into a 10-12 inch circle with a rolling pin
- Brusch about 4 tbsp of filling in the middle of the pie dough.
- Leave about 1 inch free of the edge
- Start a circle of apple slices an repeat until the whole pie is filled with apple slices
- Preheat the oven at 390℉/ 180℃
- Fold the edge of the dough over the apples as the crust
- Brush the crust with water. Sprinkle the sugar across the pie
- Bake for 35-40 minutes in the oven
- Server immediately
Use your filling of choice on the dough like Dulce de leche, marmalade, jam or hazelnut butter
Calories: 228; Fat: 6.8g; Carbs: 36g; Protein: 5.4g;