Taco lasagna contains the best Mexican twist to an Italian classic made with tortillas!
A combination of the best ground beef tacos and a tasty tortilla lasagna. Serve this lasagna with your favorite toppings like pico de gallo, guacamole or sour cream. Ready to learn how to make taco lasagna? Let’s get started!
Surprise your family and friends with a great Mexican twist to an Italian classic! I’m certain this taco casserole recipe will be a new family favorite.
The best part is, it is such an easy recipe.
Because it contains flour tortillas it is only fitting to bake it in a skillet. It has a perfect size and a skillet gets really hot.
You really need a super hot pan for this recipe. Because the cheese has to melt and the beef stew and lasagna sheet have to become one.
If you do not have a skillet you can make it in an oven dish from glass or nonstick. Just make sure it can handle some heat.
How to layer taco lasagna
This recipe needs the best taco seasoning that you can easily make yourself. It adds some spice and flavor to your recipes and in this recipe especially.
Layering is really easy.
For this taco lasagna made with flour tortillas, you need to start with the tomato beef sauce as the first layer and put a tortilla on top.
This will prevent the tortilla from sticking to the skillet.
Then repeat the standard layering so sauce, tortilla, sauce, and end with a thin layer of sauce and cheese.
Taco lasagna ingredients
To make the best taco lasagna you need a number of ingredients on your shopping list.
Make certain you have these available when you start:
- Flour Tortillas
- Lean ground beef
- Frito tomato sauce
- Homemade taco seasoning
- Homemade pesto
- Hard cheese like mozzarella or Gouda cheese
How to make taco lasagna
To make this taco bake recipe start with a big skillet or cooking pan. Preheat your skillet and brown your good quality lean ground beef in the skillet.
You do not need any oil or butter to do this because ground beef contains a lot of fat so it will brown on its own.
If you have a lot of excess fat drain it before you continue. Then finely dice bell pepper, onion, and mince the garlic.
Add it to the beef and stir it through so the vegetables go soft and translucent.
Also finely dice the mushrooms and add these to the beef mixture. Stir again for another couple of minutes.
Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the beef mixture and stir it through the beef. Now add the tomato frito sauce to the skillet.
Stir and cover the beef with tomato sauce before adding the water.
Finally, add 2 tablespoons of homemade pesto and stir it through the beef mixture. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Preheat the oven at 450℉ and heat a cast-iron skillet in the oven while it is heating. Then it is time to stack the lasagna.
Start with 3 to 4 tablespoons of the beef mixture and cover the skillet. Put a tortilla on top of the first layer of the beef mixture.
Repeat these steps with the remaining two tortillas and the beef.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese on the last layer of beef and cover the skillet with tin foil. Bake the skillet in the oven for 30 minutes.
Remove the tin foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Your taco lasagna is done. Serve immediately.
Can you make taco lasagna ahead of time?
The answer is yes you can. You can do this two ways:
- Prep lasagna – prep the lasagna but do not bake the lasagna. Store in the fridge for up to a day when you are ready to bake it. You can also put it in the freezer for up to two months. Thaw and bake when you are ready to serve
- Bake lasagna – bake the taco tortilla lasagna, cool before you put it in the freezer. When you are ready to eat the lasagna, thaw it first and then heat the lasagna for about 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven at 425℉
Tortillas alternatives to using in this taco lasagna
You can use flour tortillas but there are many alternatives that you can use e.g.:
- Corn tortillas – when you eat gluten-free use corn tortillas in this recipes as an alternative
- Yufka tortillas – a great alternative for flour tortillas
- Potato tortillas – the easiest roti flatbread tortillas are these potato tortillas. Great to use in this recipe
- Moroccan flatbread – add some spices to your flatbread tortilla and use it in this taco lasagna
- Sweet potato tortillas – these sweet potato tortillas are a great alternative for regular tortillas
See how to make tortilla lasagna
Want to see how to make lasagna with tortillas? Take a look at the instruction video.
This recipe video shows you a step by step instruction on how to make a vegetarian lasagna to show you how to stack a perfect tortilla lasagna.
A really easy recipe you can make at home.
Have fun with this taco lasagna recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a Mexican twist to an Italian classic? Try this tortilla taco lasagna recipe. An easy lasagna recipe and super tasty. Try it!
- 3 tortillas
- 200 grams of lean beef mince
- ½ onion
- ½ bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 mushrooms
- 300 ml frito tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1 cup of water
- 1 - 2 cups of hard cheese like mozzarella or Gouda
- Take a big skillet and bake the ground beef until brown
- Then add the bell pepper, onion, and minced garlic
- Finely dice the mushrooms
- Stir until soft and translucent
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning on the beef mixture
- Now add the frito tomato sauce and stir through the beef before adding the water.
- Finally, add 2 tbsp of pesto and stir. Let is simmer for 5 minutes
- Preheat the oven at 450℉/225℃ and heat a cast-iron skillet while the oven is heating
- Then stack the lasagna. Start with 3 to 4 tablespoons of the beef mixture and cover the skillet
- Put a tortilla on top of the beef mixture. Repeat with the remaining two tortillas and the beef
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on the tortilla and cover with thin foil
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the thin foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately
Calories: 504; Fat: 27g; Carbs: 25g; Protein: 40g;