How to make taco seasoning that will flavor your recipes is so easy. You will love this recipe for any of your meat or fish recipes.
Even your vegetable dishes can get a kick from this homemade taco seasoning recipe. Today I will answer the question how do you make taco seasoning so are you ready to learn? Lets get started!
If you normally buy packaged taco seasoning in the store this recipe is for you. Try it and you will be amazed by the difference in flavor and taste.
Bonus points as this seasoning is easy, fast, convenient, hand mixed, gluten free and way cheaper than any seasoning you can buy in the store.
Mix up a big batch of this recipe and store it in a glass jar. You can use this DIY taco seasoning for months.
Start with the ingredients that are required in the recipe and then you move on from there and adjust to your liking. As a result your spice mix might vary.
No worries your taste is not the same on a daily basis. So play around with it. That is why I always advise to add what you like and remove what you do not like.
You may think that the best homemade taco seasoning can only be used for your tacos and Mexican recipes but that is not the case. Take a look at all the great recipes below.
Spice up your seasoning
As with all of my Tex-Mex spice blends this mix contains a little bit of heat to give it the right amount of spice.
Taco seasoning is a rather mild seasoning but there are a number of ways to spice up your seasoning:
- Chili flakes – in this recipe red pepper flakes are used and are made from a mix crushed dried red peppers. You can dry red peppers yourself and crush them with a pestle and mortar or buy them crushed.
- Chile pepper/powder – is grounded chili peppers which also have high intensity of heat. If you use it in your taco seasoning use it sparsely and increase if desired.
- Cayenne pepper – is another way to heat up your spice mix. Cayenne pepper can be hotter than chili flakes. However it does depend on the amount of chili seeds that are in the chili flakes. Cayenne pepper is hotter so when using cayenne pepper start with half the amount of chili flakes and increase according to taste.
- Chipotle powder – this powder can be categorised as medium to high heat. Compare to chili flakes or cayenne pepper is has more heat. It has a smokey taste. This ingredients is used in the Mexican seasoning. If you want to apply it to your taco spice mix start with a very small amount and increase to taste.
Chile, chilies, cayenne are all used to increase the flavor but the more you use of it the more it kills your taste as well. It is all a matter of finding the right balance between flavor and heat.
As everybody experiences heat and spiciness differently the only thing you can do is test your taco seasoning.
Taco seasoning ingredients
To make this taco seasoning recipe get the following ingredients out of your kitchen cabinet or put them on your shopping list:
- Homemade Chili powder mix
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili flakes
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Salt (optional)
How to make taco seasoning
Just as with the my other homemade seasoning recipes making a dry seasoning is super easy. All you need to do is measure the spices as mentioned in the recipe below.
Then add all the other spices in a mixing bowl and stir well for at least 1 minute to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
This recipe is for two servings. If you need more just increase the ingredients and make a big batch. You can store the spice mix in a glass jar.
Store it in your kitchen cabinet. You can use it for at least 1 year.
Use this taco seasoning in the following recipes
If you want to use your own seasoning in a recipe use 2 tablespoons. This is equivalent to 1 packaged taco seasoning. Use this mix in e.g. the following recipes:
- Organic beef tacos – this is the ultimate taco meat seasoning. Just add two tablespoons of seasoning to get delicious beef tacos
- Tender carnitas tacos – this homemade taco seasoning mix recipe is a great addition to this recipe
- Taco lasagna – the perfect combination of flour tortillas, ground beef, taco seasoning and a skillet
- Veggie frenzy taco – add at least one tablespoon of this authentic taco seasoning to the vegetables in this recipe
- Taco pasta – a great combination of pasta and taco meat
Other seasoning recipes
If you love seasoning recipes take a look at the other seasoning recipes here on the Tortilla Channel:
- Chili powder
- Fajitas seasoning mix
- Enchilada dry seasoning
- Burrito seasoning
- Mexican seasoning
- Adobo seasoning
Have fun with this how to make taco seasoning recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram and PIN to Pinterest.
Homemade taco seasoning that flavors your Tex mex recipes. This authentic taco seasoning is the ultimate seasoning for your meat, fish and veggies dishes
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder mix
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Measure all the spices as mentioned above
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly
- Put in a jar and store
2 tablespoons taco seasoning is equivalent of 1 taco seasoning packet
Calories: 75; Fat: 3.6g; Carbs: 12.7g; Protein: 3.4g