Just this week I showed you how to make the best vegan enchilada sauce. If you have not tried this sauce then I will give you another great reasons to try it. Today we are making a tasty turkey enchilada bowl with the best vegan enchilada sauce. No tortillas in this dish but with this combination you will not miss them at all. The turkey will be cooked in the enchilada sauce until it is soft, tender and infused with the flavors of the sauce. Add some delicious vegetables and rice and you get a tasty turkey enchilada bowl. Want to learn how to make this recipe? Lets get started!
You only need a few ingredients for this dish. I use a small Turkey breast but you can choose a large chicken breast as well. If you are vegan or vegetarian skip the meat and substitute for tempeh or soya or a vegetable like carrots. Let these simmer in the sauce.
For the vegetables I used green beans, mushrooms and bell peppers. The sauce is the hero of this dish and is made with:
- vegetable oil
- Chili powder
- paprika powder
- garlic powder
- Tomato sauce
Once you have the sauce you let the turkey breast simmer in the sauce in a Dutch oven with the lid closed for at least 25 minutes. As you do not want the sauce to evaporate check after 10 minutes and add water if necessary. Make sure the the turkey breast is covered with sauce. Turn the turkey breast at this point as well to keep it moist.
Cook the basmati rice in 15 to 20 minutes. I use a rice cooker as it is the easiest way to get a dry rice grain but there are more ways to cook a perfect dry grain of rice.
First I clean a cup of rice in a sieve under warm water until the water is clear and not a milky white. I transfer the cleaned rice to the rice cooker and put it under water about a cup and a half and turn the rice cooker on. It will cook and then steam dry.
Cook rice dry in pan
You can do the same thing with the rice in a pan. Wash the rice separately until clean put it in a pan with a cup and a half of water on high heat. As soon as the water cooks turn down the heat and let the water evaporate. You can open the lid slightly to let the steam out.
Cook and steam dry
Lastly you can cook the rice in 2-2½ cups of water for about 10 minutes. Drain the rice in a sieve and put it back in the pan and let the steam evaporate until you have a dry rice grain.
As soon as you cook the turkey breast you can start cooking the rice as well. Then cook the green beans in boiling water. Pan fry the bell peppers and mushrooms in sunflower oil in 5 minutes.
You are ready to plate the tasty turkey enchilada bowl. Start with the rice, slice the turkey in small slices and add it to one side of the bowl. Then arrange the green beans on the other side and top the mushrooms and bell peppers in the middle. Drizzle the enchilada sauce over the turkey and you are ready to serve.
Now tell me, doesn’t this look super delicious?
How to make tasty turkey enchilada bowl
This dish can be prepared one day in advance. The flavors of the sauce will have infused the turkey even more after a day. Store over night in the fridge. What are your favorite vegetables to include in your enchilada bowl?
I hope you enjoy this recipe how to make a tasty turkey enchilada bowl! Made any of my recipes? Tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram to let me know.
We are making tasty turkey enchilada bowl with the best vegan enchilada sauce. Add basmati rice and vegetables and your tasty turkey enchilada bowl is ready
- 3 cups of the best vegan enchilada sauce
- 1 cup of water (only add if sauce evaporates)
- 1 turkey or chicken breast (100 grams per person)
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 200 grams of green beans
- ½ bell pepper
- 200 grams of mushrooms
- 4 tbsp of sunflower oil to pan fry the bell peppers and mushrooms
- Make the best vegan enchilada sauce as described #881
- Warm the sauce and add the turkey. Close the lid and simmer for 25 minutes
- Turn the turkey after 10 minutes and add water if needed (turkey should mostly be covered in the sauce)
- Cook the basmati rice in a rice cooker or in a pan
- Clean the green beans
- Boil water and cook the green beans in the boiling water for 10 minutes until soft
- Put 2 tbsp of sunflower oil in a small skillet. Pan fry the bell peppers until soft. Store the bell peppers until ready to plate the bowl
- Put the other 2 tbsp of sunflower oil in the small skillet. Pan fry the mushrooms and put aside until ready to plate the bowl
- Take the turkey out of the pan and keep the sauce. Slice the turkey breast in small slices
- Put half of the rice in a bowl. Add the turkey to one side of the bowl and the green beans to the other side of the bowl
- Stack the bell peppers and mushrooms in the middle of the bowl
- Lastly drizzle sauce over the turkey and serve immediatly
Calories: 526; Fat: 23.7g; Carbs: 59.4g; Protein: 26.3g;