Enchilada turkey burrito bowl is made with juicy turkey, basmati rice, warm vegetables and the best enchilada sauce! Done in less than 30 minutes and packed with lots of protein
This healthy, full of vegetables and turkey burrito bowl is good for you and done in no time! Seasoning with enchilada spice mix and our number 1 enchilada sauce you do not have so sacrifice on tast or flavor. So are you ready to learn how you can make enchilada turkey burrito bowl? Lets get started!
The turkey is cooked in the enchilada sauce until it is soft, tender and infused with the flavors of the sauce.
What is in a burrito bowl?
In case you are wondering what is in a burrito bowl the answer is easy. You can make it up with all your favorite ingredients. You need at least:
You can decorate your burrito bowl with e.g. avocado, guacamole and cream. With all these vegetable and poultry you have a healthy protein rich meal.
The perfect ways to cook rice
The most important ingredient in your enchilada burrito bowl recipe is the rice. You need a fragrant rice like basmati rice but you can also use Jasmine rice or Pandan rice.
Cooking rice takes about 15 to 20 minutes. I use a rice cooker as it is the easiest way to get a dry rice grain but there are more ways to cook a perfect dry grain of rice.
There are roughly three ways to cook rice:
- Rice cooker – First I clean a cup of rice in a sieve under warm water until the water is clear and not a milky white. I transfer the cleaned rice to the rice cooker and put it under water about a cup and a half and turn the rice cooker on. It will cook and then steam dry.
- Dry cook rice in pan – You can do the same thing with the rice in a pan. Wash the rice separately until clean put it in a pan with a cup and a half of water on high heat. As soon as the water cooks turn down the heat and let the water evaporate. You can open the lid slightly to let the steam out.
- Cook and steam dry – Again first watch the rice. Then cook the rice in 2-2½ cups of water for 10 minutes. Drain the rice in a strainer and put it back in the pan. Let the steam evaporate until you have a dry rice grain.
Enchilada turkey burrito bowl ingredients
If you want to make this turkey burrito bowl you only need a few ingredients for this dish. You need:
- Basmati rice
- Green beans
- Bell pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Enchilada sauce
If you are vegan or vegetarian skip the turkey and substitute for tempeh, soy or a vegetable like carrots. Prepare as described.
How to make enchilada turkey burrito bowl
If you want to make this burrito bowl recipe start with the sauce. When this is ready put it in a Dutch oven and let the turkey breast simmer in the sauce with the lid closed for at least 25 minutes.
As you do not want the sauce to evaporate check after 10 minutes and add water if necessary. Make sure the the turkey breast is covered with sauce. Turn the turkey breast at this point as well to keep it moist.
As soon as you cook the turkey breast you can start cooking the rice as well. Then cook the green beans in boiling water. Pan fry the bell peppers and mushrooms in sunflower oil in 5 minutes.
You are ready to plate the tasty enchilada turkey bowl. Start with the rice, slice the turkey in small slices and add it to one side of the bowl.
Then arrange the green beans on the other side and top the mushrooms and bell peppers in the middle.
Drizzle the enchilada sauce over the turkey and you are ready to serve your enchilada turkey burriot bowl. Now tell me, doesn’t this look super delicious?
This dish can be prepared one day in advance. The flavors of the sauce will have infused the turkey even more after a day.
Take a freezer save container and store all ingredients in the container. You can also make the whole bowl and cover it with foil. Store over night in the fridge and warm it in the oven at 400℉/200℃ for 15 minutes.
More burrito recipes
Looking for more burrito recipes? Try these!
See how to make enchilada turkey burrito bowl
Want to see how you can make a tasty enchilada turkey burrito bowl? Watch the instruction video below:
I hope you enjoy this recipe and much as I do and have fun with this tasty enchilada turkey burrito bowl! Made a recipe please tag @thetortillachannel on INSTAGRAM, PIN on PINTEREST and like us on FACEBOOK for more information and update.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
We are making tasty turkey enchilada bowl with the best vegan enchilada sauce. Add basmati rice and vegetables and your tasty turkey enchilada bowl is ready
- 3 cups of the best vegan enchilada sauce
- 1 cup of water (only add if sauce evaporates)
- 1 turkey or chicken breast (100 grams per person)
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 200 grams of green beans
- ½ bell pepper
- 200 grams of mushrooms
- 4 tbsp of sunflower oil to pan fry the bell peppers and mushrooms
- Make the best vegan enchilada sauce as described #881
- Warm the sauce and add the turkey. Close the lid and simmer for 25 minutes
- Turn the turkey after 10 minutes and add water if needed (turkey should mostly be covered in the sauce)
- Cook the basmati rice in a rice cooker or in a pan
- Clean the green beans
- Boil water and cook the green beans in the boiling water for 10 minutes until soft
- Put 2 tbsp of sunflower oil in a small skillet. Pan fry the bell peppers until soft. Store the bell peppers until ready to plate the bowl
- Put the other 2 tbsp of sunflower oil in the small skillet. Pan fry the mushrooms and put aside until ready to plate the bowl
- Take the turkey out of the pan and keep the sauce. Slice the turkey breast in small slices
- Put half of the rice in a bowl. Add the turkey to one side of the bowl and the green beans to the other side of the bowl
- Stack the bell peppers and mushrooms in the middle of the bowl
- Lastly drizzle sauce over the turkey and serve immediatly
Calories: 526; Fat: 23.7g; Carbs: 59.4g; Protein: 26.3g;